LED conversion.

Eastep

True Classic
Just curious from those who have converted to LEDs, what all is involved? Is it as simple as replacing the turn signal, marker and brake + reverse bulbs with LED equivalents?

Just curious from those who have converted to LEDs, what all is involved? Is it as simple as replacing the turn signal, marker and brake + reverse bulbs with LED equivalents?

It is not that hard to do once you find the lights. I got my first batch through super bright LED's years ago but they are available many places now. Just order ones specified for the type of bulb you are replacing. You will need a special blinker for the LED's. When I first did mine the blinkers would not work because there is not enough resistance to make the flasher work so I left the incandescent bulb in the dash and the blinkers worked but flashed fast. The correct flasher unit makes it right and you can use all LED's.

Yep, with the probable exception of turn signals.

The turn signal flasher that came with the car when new is expecting the current draw of incandescent lamps, which of course is missing with an LED bulb. Without that draw to build up the heat that the flasher needs to close and open the circuit, the LED either comes on and does not flash, or does not work at all.

Some LED bulb suppliers include a resistor in their bulbs that tricks the flasher into working normally. Or, an LED-aware flasher can be installed in place of the original.

For examples, see:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/flashers-load-resistors/

Also the Alt fault light in the dash needs to either stay normal or do something with a resistor (or us a GM alt) As the factory fiat alt uses the bulb to excite (or turn on) the alt.

Thanks everyone. I plan to keep the dash bulbs incandescent for now and concentrate on external lighting. I have found a pair of flasher LED bulbs that are load resistance type that might work and an 8 pk of plain white LED for the rest. I just need to get the small slip in bulb number for the marker lights and I think I'll be set.... in theory at least. Thanks again.

DCFiats did a tech day in February for LEDs in an X1/9 and Spider. My dash was already done previously. We replaced all the rest of the lights and flasher unit in about 20 minutes. We did have a little trouble with the size of the LEDs for the front side markers.

A member of DCFiats has made a kit of LEDs needed to do the whole car including flasher unit. Send me a email or message and I will send you Joe's contact info.

That's wierd. I replaced all my dash bulbs with LEDs last summer and the flasher just works as well as it always did. The only problem I had was with that stupid #$%^* speedo cable.
:D

That's wierd. I replaced all my dash bulbs with LEDs last summer and the flasher just works as well as it always did. The only problem I had was with that stupid #$%^* speedo cable.
:D

You probably got the ones with the resistor built in. Don't get me started on speedometer cables. I think it is an X1/9 owners bane.

Dash

That is the only thing keeping me from messing with my dash lights, the cable. I have read so many stories on hear of speedo cable issues after removing the cluster that I have not taken that one on. I need to, I only have one or two dash light working and my headlight indicator does not work, so at some point if one more dash light burns out I will need to bit the bullet and do it so I can see the dash at night.

I did the brown wire conversion on my 79 and replaced all the lights with LED except the blinkers (they sent me the wrong digital flasher). It made a big difference in my voltage. Before it would drop way down with all lights and wipers on at night, and when you hit the blinkers with the wipers on it would dim everything, now she stays right at 12 volts all the time, lights are brighter. Was a great upgrade. If you have not done the brown wire conversion yet you should look into it, when I got to the ignition switch it was burnt and crispy (which is a common issue the way these cars where wired with only one 10AWG wire from the battery to feed all the electrical in the car) so it needed the upgrade before something bad happened under there.

Going to do the simplier brown wire and terminal upgrade and add all LEDs to my 86 when I put it back together after paint this spring to bump voltage supply and avoid future issues.

Good luck.

PW

I spoke to Joe about the Fiat X1/9 kit for LEDs and he will add the kit to his website this weekend. http://velocesolutionsllc.com/

I know light kit will fit the Bertone and another DCFiats member installed a kit into a mid 70s Fiat X1/9.

Awesome....

I'll definitely be doing this in the 74 when she comes home. This is a great idea to put together a kit. Thanks....

Ordered!

I jumped right in and ordered an exterior kit. I've been looking at putting together all the bits but it is tedious and expensive. This is a much better option.

Will report on results when it arrives and is installed. :sun:

Cheers,

Rob

Thanks for mentioning the kit to him and thank him for making it available. And thank you guys for keeping the thread going and relevant.

I see that the kit uses Cree LED's. Anyone have any experience or thoughts on this manufacturer??

What an awesome thread to share. Just ordered mine (interior and exterior). I had gotten a quote here in Vancouver, Canada and they wanted over $400 when all was said and done. This is a great deal and plug n'play to boot. Thanks again and cheers,

Back