Downtown LA and a Fiat

addictedpunk

Daily Driver
I'm not sure how many LA natives there are here on the forum, but I'd like to share these pictures with you guys.

As some of you may have heard, the historic 6th St. bridge that connects downtown LA to Boyle Heights is being demolished after 80+ years of service. So I thought about getting some pictures of the bridge and the part that spans over the LA river before it's all gone.

I'm no photographer so bare with me people.

The famous LA river.

4th street bridge from river

This has to be my favorite picture.

And one from the driver's seat.

O.K. PLEASE INFORM ME

I assumed in the movies you can just drive on the riverbed same as right down to the ships on a longshoremen run dock. But you seem to be able to actually do this in real life...???... Please tell us ,is this public access? Why isn't it full of teenagers all the time? What gives? By the way, nice pics:)

Well Grant...

You're not technically supposed to be in the river, but who cares; no one patrols.

I think the main reason why this isn't full of people is because of the long unlighted tunnel that one has to go through in order to reach this. Also, it's well hidden so not everyone is aware that it's there. The tunnel is famous for serving as housing for the homeless so you can see why people don't want to traverse through a dark long tunnel. They're actually nice people. To me, this is one of the best spots in the city to relax. You're smack in the middle of downtown, yet it's so quiet and serene down there. Unfortunately, once the city begins to rebuild the new bridge, they plan on creating accessible walkways and whatnot. Basically it turns into a tourist attraction; what once used to be a quiet spot to go and think or be with yourself, will now be full of crying babies, rude people, and their trash. Same thing happened to the Griffith Observatory. I used to love going up there. Now it's full of tourists and 24 hour traffic jams. It's Disneyland on a mountain.

Here are a few extra pics to pique your interest.

I lived in Riverside and then lastly in the high desert among other places in my 40 years in California and remember that bridge from the times I had to go to LA. I can't remember when exactly but in the late 50's I think they made some movies about teenagers that would race their hot rods and play chicken in that wash. The main reason no one goes down there is because of the giant ants. By the way, thanks for the photos and nice working your car into the scenes to make it fiat content.

Jose'... If you weren't a photographer when you...

started taking these pictures, you are one now!

Any GOOD photographer will take 100 photos and keep three. Probably one of the most famous for his Black and White photography of our natural and national treasures not only took hundred of photos, but then experimented with development processes until he got what he wanted. Many times, by the way... the finished product did NOT necessarily accurately represent the original... but then, that's when photography really becomes ART and not just science.

5010117-U-1.jpg

Ansel Adams... I believe Ian Lawson actually went to school with him.

Great work my friend, at least THREE of your photos are real "keepers". I personally like the ones without the car in it, and like the statutes, doesn't legally belong in these shots. Maybe on top of the bridge... but certainly not in the WASH...

I have used that bridge many times. I was down in the river when I was way younger. We would ride our motorcycles,( An xr 75 and a yz 80,) we would access the river from Pasadena and follow it all the way down to downtown Los Angeles. We always had a blast. Only once L A P D came into the river to question us. They asked if the bikes were legally ours, and then just told us to go home. They were very nice about it.

In the 70's...

We used to ride our BMX bikes down various parts of LA river and the storm drains - good times. (I am from the foothills Northeast of the Valley.)

No kidding about Griffith park these days. We went back to LA to visit family and friends last year and I had to take my kids to the observatory, it has changed a lot. So much busier. Travel-town was still quiet/peaceful though. Happy to see Pecos Bill's still open. These were some of my favorite places to drive my previous X1/9s and 850's when I wasn't bombing up/down my local canyon roads.

Thanks for the memories!

Last edited:
started taking these pictures, you are one now!

Any GOOD photographer will take 100 photos and keep three. Probably one of the most famous for his Black and White photography of our natural and national treasures not only took hundred of photos, but then experimented with development processes until he got what he wanted. Many times, by the way... the finished product did NOT necessarily accurately represent the original... but then, that's when photography really becomes ART and not just science.

5010117-U-1.jpg

Ansel Adams... I believe Ian Lawson actually went to school with him.

Great work my friend, at least THREE of your photos are real "keepers". I personally like the ones without the car in it, and like the statutes, doesn't legally belong in these shots. Maybe on top of the bridge... but certainly not in the WASH...
In 1980 I built a house in the high desert and I didn't know the first thing about pouring concrete. Of the people I had become acquainted with when I first moved to the area there was an old fellow named Frances. It is kind of funny when I say old because back then he was about the same age I am now. I am wracking my brain to remember his last name but Frances said he had some experience with concrete and he would give advice so I got several friends rounded up and we poured the slab and then had a BBQ & BEER party afterwards.. Turned out Frances was one of the engineers in charge pouring concrete into the LA River.

Nice pictures AP

You never know who you will run into in the river. X1/9 vs Greased Lightning?

X%20vs%20Greased%20lightning.jpg

I couldn't get the perspective out your windshield correct. I think its the wrong bridge too, but it is snowing and I am killing time till its deep enough to plow. :)

You never know who you will run into in the river. X1/9 vs Greased Lightning?

X%20vs%20Greased%20lightning.jpg

I couldn't get the perspective out your windshield correct. I think its the wrong bridge too, but it is snowing and I am killing time till its deep enough to plow. :)

Cool picture Jim. I am pouring resin and while waiting for the stuff to set I am jumping back and forth from the pooter and the work bench. Any way I was looking for the old movie with the 1950's drag racing and came up with this........ PHOTO BY: Julian Robinson / Los Angeles Times
Teenagers caught drag racing in L.A. River [updated]
• Posted By: Scott Harrison
• Posted On: 12:18 a.m. | March 17, 2014
March 6, 1955: Police check licenses on hopped-up cars driven by teenagers drag racing on a paved section of the Los Angeles River bottom. Four squad cars converged on the racers. Photo taken at 6th Street Bridge.
A story in the March 7, 1955, Los Angeles Times reported:
Police yesterday rounded up more than 150 teenagers who were drag-racing their souped-up cars on the paved Los Angeles River bottom.
Four squad cars and five motorcycle officers converged in the river bed where the youths had marked off a quarter-mile racing strip between 4th and 6th Sts.
About 90 jalopies were lined up in single file while the occupants, protesting bitterly, were ordered to show their driver’s licenses and registration papers to policemen guarding the river bed’s 6th St. exit.
Officers estimated that some 30 other cars escaped up the San Fernando Road ramp before police could catch them. There were no arrests….
The photo above by former staff photographer Julian Robinson was published on the March 7, 1955 Los Angeles Times front page.
Below is a related photo from 1958 by former staff photographer Ken Dare. Police blocked one of the Los Angeles River bed exits and calmly handed out tickets. To light this scene, Ken Dare used at least two remote flash units plus one unit near his camera. The man, top left of center, appears to be holding a remote strobe head. Another light unit appears to be held on the extreme top left.

Dec. 11, 1958: Police issue citations to more than 100 drivers, charging violations of a municipal law that prohibits operation of motor vehicles on the paved bed of the Los Angeles River. This photo was published in the Dec. 12, 1958 Los Angeles Times.
After this blog post appeared Monday, reader Ted Sebern contacted me, wanting to make sure the complete story of the early drag racing was told. Sebern, a longtime member of the Road Kings auto club of Burbank, writes:
I’d like to bring you up to speed about drag racing in the LA river in the fifties. I realize you are probably too young to have been there in the fifties, but believe me it was a ball.
First of all you must understand that we were kids who didn’t want to race on the streets. The idea of our clubs was to provide the safest drag racing venue at the time. For three years the LA cops came down and watched while we raced. In all that time the cops never bothered us, nor did they ticket any of us.
Then the LA City fathers decided that the youth shouldn’t be allowed to run races flagrantly in the river under the Sixth Street Bridge.
For months after that the LAPD would come down under the bridge and say, “We have to come down and raid this place in twenty minutes.” Of course we all split. They were wonderful guys. After that we moved to the River Road to the north of Griffith Park, just south of the L.A. River and just west of Victory Blvd.
LAPD and Burbank P.D. watched for some years while we raced; again no tickets. We had a Snyder ambulance on site in case of an accident, and there were none.
1957 Chevys and Pontiacs raced against blossoming MOPAR vehicles and it was a ball. Early San Fernando drag racing groups were forming and their clubs would become the basis for that track.
The River Road near Griffith Park is now the location of the Ventura (134) Freeway.
For more photos, check out this LIFE magazine April 29, 1957 photo essay: The Drag Racing Rage. The photo essay includes images of drag racing in the Los Angeles River.

Might want to not drive down there anymore. I am sure the ordinance is still in effect. "Dec. 11, 1958: Police issue citations to more than 100 drivers, charging violations of a municipal law that prohibits operation of motor vehicles on the paved bed of the Los Angeles River."

Thanks for the 50's news article

Just forwarded it to my dad, as he was racing the LA/San Fernando scene into the mid 50's, I want to see if he'll fess up to getting busted!

Thanks for the article Dragonsgate!

We just need a picture of addictedpunk "assuming the position"

Now we just need a picture of addictedpunk "assuming the position" to complete the picture. :)
X%20vs%20Greased%20lightning%202.jpg

The snow storm sputtered out early, not even worth plowing. I guess that's a good thing really. 23F with snow today and it is supposed to be 65F by the weekend. Welcome to STL weather. Fours seasons each month.

Now we just need a picture of addictedpunk "assuming the position" to complete the picture. :)
X%20vs%20Greased%20lightning%202.jpg

The snow storm sputtered out early, not even worth plowing. I guess that's a good thing really. 23F with snow today and it is supposed to be 65F by the weekend. Welcome to STL weather. Fours seasons each month.

WOW! A 1955 Fiat X1/9!

Back