Went all in

Thanks Albert and all. Friggin Expedia screwed up my flight itinerary so now I have to wait till tomorrow to fly up and bring it home.

Albert did you ever get bumpers for your 128? I have a line on a set of early ones. A bit rough but I will see if they are cleanable and straight.

Pretty drastic measure just to get struts and springs for your 128...

;)

Nice score! Sounds like it will be a lot of fun. I'd rather be road-tripping a new acquisition than trailering it. It just adds to the adventure and you get a real feel for the car (and what it needs) for better or worse... So have fun, but bring tools!

funny about the struts Court, the guys brother has a lot of parts and says he has the early X rears...:brow:

He also has a "bone stock" tan/brown interior 74 he wants to sell but pics don't do it justice so Im not too keen on making him an offer. He wants $3k for it. He says it has 68k original miles...and runs/drives.

Drove her home today!

Flew to Spokane early this morning to meet with Gary, the PO. He filled me in on more of the parts info. the cam is Faza 35/75, flat top pistons with stock 1500 size as the block was a NOS 1500 he bought when he upgraded the motor. The head is a Euro 1500 cnc ported/polished he also bought new. The crank and pistons came from PBS. The chrome tube header he can't recall but it's still in nice shape. The car has 71000 miles, the motor about 15 to 20k in his estimation/memory.

The body is considerably rattier than I expected from the pics. The lower windshield surround is very badly pitted. There is one or two other areas where rust will need to be addressed but overall the body is rust free. There are several dents here and there and the drivers door was opened too far at one point causing it to "flare out" at the hinge end. The paint it at the very end of l=its life span.

The 2nd gear synchro seems dodgy but if you're gentle on shifting you can find it just fine. The interior is in really nice shape, no tears in the seats and very little damage on the dash. The lens is cloudy so it can be hard to see the instruments in bright sunlight. The carpet is very faded orange and although it looks like it needs replacing I would LOVE to do orange again with the otherwise black interior.

The motor pulls great, nice low end and reasonable top end. I was cruising at 90 at 4800 rpm's for a fair amount of the 350 mile voyage home. The dual 40's are very very thirsty and at 90mph I feel like I was averaging about 12 but that might be a slight exaggeration. The motor lid does not close against the (custom made ) air cleaner so he made standoffs that keep it propped up. It was flapping up quite a bit during the drive so I will need to search on here for creative solutions. The air cleaner is a Z car variety and I definitely need to buy a new one as it is very old looking.

The front end is lowered with (once again) cut springs that were not pigtailed. Im not sure how it's working all this time but it is just as it was on my 128 wagon until I changed the shocks.

The weather could not have been better for the drive today, high of maybe 70 and very sunny and fairly windy through the Gorge but that's normal.

There is a load of parts a guy is hauling for me that includes a clean windsheild surround he cut from another car. My task is going to be eradicating rust and prepping it for paint. There is a headlight issue I will post elsewhere.

Thanks Albert and all. Friggin Expedia screwed up my flight itinerary so now I have to wait till tomorrow to fly up and bring it home.

Albert did you ever get bumpers for your 128? I have a line on a set of early ones. A bit rough but I will see if they are cleanable and straight.

George, check PM...thanks

Ulix,

The wheels are Personal, same company as the steering wheels. Bayless sold them - back in the day. 13" x 5.5"
They are HARD to find.

Congrats on getting her home safely :)

Sounds like you have a nice solid base with some of the typical repairs needed. Hopefully you get to a nice ratio of drive vs. repair downtime.

After reading through mblommels' awesome build/resto thread only to see him getting to the end of his time with the car, it is understandable when the ratio of drive vs. repair kilters too heavily into the repair area...

So, don't take it apart so much that you can't drive it in-between! (I'm one to talk - the past couple years I've only had a short few driving days...)

Please make sure you post pics of your repair processes - that's what I really like to see :)

Back