targa top

mikemo90

True Classic
here is a nutsy koo koo idea. I have thought for years of making a targa top replicating a Ferrari 246 targa with a cutout to store behind the seats.
I have tops to play with, but lack the metal skills to make the channel in the body. I know that some of the 6 footers out there are thinking....WHAT?.
but I think it may be viable.
mikemo

Not too familiar with the Dino top...

Am I correct in guessing it is a collapsible cloth type top? If not, what is the difference? Thanks!
R

246 GTS roof

Mike is referring to the fact that the GTS roof had a "cut-out" that allowed it to be stowed behind the seats and would go around the central tunnel. You can see the shape here:

And here is a pic with the roof removed:

You can just make out the section left behind when the roof is off.

It's a lot harder to see those details in this pic though...

Maybe my eyes aren't as good as they used to be..... :geek:

Cheers,

Rob

Yep, must be some kind of optical illusion...

I see what he is talking about now... third photo was hard to make out the detail but I get it! Thanks... would be very easy to do this but you would end up with a bump on the targa where the cutout was in the top...
Cheers!

Not sure where you would 'find' the space behind the seats - the gas tank is directly behind the driver's bulkhead, so it would mean losing several inches of cabin space - that would make the car undriveable for anyone over 5', no? :rolleyes:

yea, for a 5'8" short dago like me I have all the room I need. I am wondering why all you six footers are so attracted to these cars??
oh yea... as papa tony says...IT'S an addiction:mallet:

HA
mikemo

Been thinkin' on this...

You could actually cut that space out for the tunnel end stop just before the seal... then fab a couple filler pieces which would be spring loaded and move out of the way when you set the top in the car. The mechanism would work kind of like the hanger for a rear wiper on an SUV... except in reverse. So when the fillers came in contact with the tunnel they would drop out of the roof and fold left and right... does that make sense? I can see it but not sure I can describe it... mom always told me I was spatial!
Regards
R

Back