Local Car Show

WildWilly

True Classic
Hi guys, went to a local car show last night. Surprise, surprise, I was the only X. But while I was wandering around, look what pulled in next to me. The original and the copy. If you're within a few hours of London, this guy has a major car show every June, the largest in North American, perhaps the world. Last year there were 5,500 cars, lots of TV coverage, etc. I'll be there this year for sure, hope a few other local X guys can make it.

http://www.fleetwoodcountrycruizein.com/

Nice pic lol. I still remember an occurrence when I owned my very first X1/9, while living in NC. I pulled up to the gas station down the street (BP). As I filled up a rather enthusiastic hill-billy/Bubba type came up to me and very excitedly asked "Iz dat wun ov dem FierrarO's!?" I was a little taken back and befuddled, but seeing this guy's excitement and obvious like of my car, I threw disregard to the wind and politely smiled and said "yes it is" .:angel:

Nice to hear you are out and about with her Willy. She is looking great.

Mine is still in the garage half apart and I regularly get people come by and ask the same type of questions: "Is that like a Ferrari?" Of course you need to reply with a yes because it is true - it is "like" a Ferrari :)

Nice to hear you are out and about with her Willy. She is looking great.

Mine is still in the garage half apart and I regularly get people come by and ask the same type of questions: "Is that like a Ferrari?" Of course you need to reply with a yes because it is true - it is "like" a Ferrari :)
You know, my wife and I had this discussion a few weeks back. In all practical intent & purposes, the X1/9 is actually "more Ferrari", then many actual Ferrari. This is of course only relevant if your of a certain generation, where you luster after the low, flat, slightly tacky, vented and rubber trimmed cars from Maranello; And you are referring to "modern" (anything after 348) Ferrari. The X1/9 has the looks, the sound, the quirks, the rarity and even some of the parts. To buy a comparable real Ferrari that is even close to the X1/9, you'll need a minimum of 40grand, and that's if you buy a Mondial. 308 are in the 50s and up!!! We were at a car show where we seen atleast 4 Aventador, 3-4 Huracan and atleast 15-20 Ferrari. How many X1/9's were there? 1; mine! Thats a real exotic car! We are truly lucky and our cars are going to become very special to the enthusiast that simply will never be able to buy the real Ferrari as the F cars prices are climbing to astronomical levels due to a false economy.

Very cool! I prefer the X1/9 but grew up in Detroit and worked for GM while the Fiero was in development so still have a soft-spot for them. Had some friends that worked in the plant in Pontiac and toured it as well. AND the Fiero was the first "new" car I purchased.

But the X is WAY more more fun to drive. Which is why I own one. The experience is entirely different. Having said that, the quality of manufacture of a Fiero is light-years ahead of the Fiat IMO -- especially the electrical system.

It's a shame GM was confused about the Fiero and couldn't decide if it should be an economy or performance car. The Iron duke 4-cylinder was a poor choice for it and the 6-cylinder was better but not great. They finally had a pretty good product by 1988 (although could have used a higher-revving engine) and then had to kill it :(

Fiero alternative

Agreed. The Fiero is a wholly different experience. However, if you can find a clean 88, you have acceptable suspension, good electronics, and an engine bay that happily and EASILY accepts a 3.6l engine. My pal did one with a supercharger (all GM stock) and it is a monster! Talk about budget builds. Car in good shape for less than $3500. Engine for less than a grand.
One Tranny mount, and a cross-over pipe fab'd...(a guy here in normal already built them) for next to nothing and you are off to the races...

He he. Some kids up the street complimented my X, and then I saw a Fierro show up in their driveway about two weeks later. Mine runs. Theirs needs a lot of work.

Back