Favorite brake pads?

carl

True Classic
So now I have this 85X and I need some good brake pads. The brake system has been gone through and everything works fine but the generic brake pads feel like they are made out of 2x4s and instill no confidence in being able to stop the car as required.

The car is totally a street driven car, no autocrosses, trackdays, etc. But I do require a nice initial bite and excellent stopping ability. I don't care about brake dust or how long the pads last. My spider stops real nice but I don't know what pads are in it. The red spider I sold last fall had an old but never used set of Ferodo "racing" pads and are perhaps the best brake pads I have even had on a street car but they were really dirty and I don't know where to get them.

Over the years I have tried different pads on my X and my 128. I went back to getting regular pads through NAPA. There are a lot of good sized hills around here and half of them goes down. My X is a couple hundred pounds heavier than most and I have had no problems with slowing down or stopping with generic pads.

EBC yellow stuff is my choice but it hasn't been available for the x, the green stuff is available and works almost as good as the yellow stuff they just don't have the high temp capabilities of the yellow stuff I have green stuff on Little lady and they work good, great initial bite when cold and I haven't faded them yet and I'm rather tough on brakes.

So now I have this 85X and I need some good brake pads. The brake system has been gone through and everything works fine but the generic brake pads feel like they are made out of 2x4s and instill no confidence in being able to stop the car as required.

The car is totally a street driven car, no autocrosses, trackdays, etc. But I do require a nice initial bite and excellent stopping ability. I don't care about brake dust or how long the pads last. My spider stops real nice but I don't know what pads are in it. The red spider I sold last fall had an old but never used set of Ferodo "racing" pads and are perhaps the best brake pads I have even had on a street car but they were really dirty and I don't know where to get them.

I really like EBC green. All my X1/9 and personal cars use these pads. They work really well cold and hot. I tried the Ferodo pads and the they did not work well when cold for me. They are great when warm or hot.

When I bought my MIata it had aftermarket pads that were not so great when cold but by the time I had a mile or so on them they were stunning.....and of course they had no markings on them so I don't know what they were.

pads

did you lube the wedges when installing the pads?? were the caliper brackets dirty?? sounds silly, but if there is interference, then
you are using only one side of the pads to stop.
just a suggestion
mikemo

15 years ago or so, I was a big fan of the Green Stuff EBC pads I used on my 124 Coupe. I have a set queued for my '72 Coupe presently.

now that you mention it, I believe the pads on my '85 X 1/9 are also cut from 2x4....hmmm..

Back