Racer to streeter

carl

True Classic
The ex ITC racer I bought last fall is slowly becoming a street car. I'm making a stripped out "cafe racer" for the street and starting with a car that is already stripped makes sense. I am running without the stock dash, just a gauge panel in the center and a tach in my face. The car came with a full six point cage which I'm leaving in although I did have to cut off the door bars so I could actually get in and out. I fired up the motor for the first time the other day and it settles into a nice steady idle with a 34 DMTR, FAZA cam and headers. I'll have to come up with a reasonable muffler system and right now I'm using a 124 resonator which brings down the exhaust note from excruciating to just above the pain threshold. It has a racing fuel cell up front and I'd like to figure out how to get a fuel gauge sender on it. The four corners are held up with coilovers and multiadjustable top mounts.

I was surprised that the guy who raced it used the stock gauges including the stock tach. No oil pressure gauge! Wiring was horrible with many poor connections. The trans shifter was mounted upside down and the bolted connection to the shift rod was very loose. The fitting on the head for the temp sender has apparently stripped at some point and a plug was just threaded into the head without matching threads in the block....very weird. Lots of combat wounds on the body but that's to be expected on a race car.

Anyway it's a hoot to work on and there is no time line to finish it....I'm notorious for selling Fiats after I'm done with all the mechanical issues. Rather like building plastic models....once you have finished it, what do you do with it....other than take it out back and shoot it with a pellet gun or stick a cherry bomb in it.

Pictures to follow.

Some pics

The fuel cell up front.

instrument panel

Note the pan under the leaking brake fittings.

Engine bay. I just bought a set of 40 DCNFs off ebay yesterday.

Funky exhaust (124 resonator off the header....still too loud)

Fun with dolleys

Always have your spider ready to roll.

You guys (and my daughter) should never have taught me how to post pics.

Looks like a great start for what you intend.

Pics are always welcome. Keep them coming I have broadband internet...

:grin:

fuel cel

looks like the top will still fit in there with the fuel cel, is this true? if so, what size (dimensions) is that tank? I want to go to a cel but want my top to still fit.

Odie

tank size

it looks to be 10-12 gallon. you might try to find a fuel cell with a sender, or outsource one from summit racing and install it yourself. top looks to clear in the pics, but it looks like the PO has removed the rubber supports for the top. if the front u shaped ones are still there (probably not) you can find the rubber "hooks" and fab some brackets to hold the top in place. if you just stuff in in, there goes the weather-strips in short order.
unfortunely in my racer to street x has a support bar from strut to strut, good for mounting the brake/clutch reservoirs but no room for the top :sigh:
mikemo

Roll cage in a street car

With the full cage make a careful assessment of its distance from your head in a crash when the seat belts are stretched out 4 to 6 inches. Think of putting appropriate padding on it to feel comfortable in smacking your head into it very hard.

Some folks say if it has a cage, always wear a helmet.

Paul

Last edited:
Yea, I'm aware of the cage vs skull issue. I do plan to install proper padding. I have not worked out what seats I will use so I don't know the final skull clearance. Suggestions for seats welcome but I do know most one piece seats will be almost impossible to enter/exit with the top on when the driver is approaching age 70 faster than he wants to.

I don't know if the top will fit in the front trunk, obviously as a race car it was never an issue. The current location of the brake reservoir would preclude top parking anyway.

Current project is dropping the motor/trans so that the welded diff can be removed and I can do come cleanup on the motor. Will also give me a chance to paint the engine bay.

Back