Need some help on rescuing my X from a bad shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdskip

True Classic
Hi guys-it's been a while since I've been active here because I've been waiting for a shop that I brought the next two to finish her up for me. I brought her there in August 2014, yes almost a year ago. Do you still have her, and what's worse is Dave damage to the car. Let me explain:

I brought them the car to fire up for the first time and gave them a car cover and tarp to keep her covered in the event of weather because she didn't have her engine waited and air filter assembly and all those other things on her. They left her uncovered through the range that we had in December which means that water got into the engine. Since that happened Dave been stalling and having an awning in inventing problems of the car to prevent me from picking it up. The latest is that they are now claiming that the starters bad despite the fact that it's a brand-new starter that works fine when I dropped it off. To make it worse I actually went over the other day jumped in the car and she turns over just fine, which means that they're just out and out lied to me about what's going on with the car.

If now come back and said that it's going to be 3000 or $4000 for all of this nonsense, and they won't release the car until that's paid.

bad job

first question...
did you sign a repair order with a stated price for the job? if you did legally that is all you have to pay.
unless they called you and requested more money and dated the time, and when they called and you authorized by allowing them to use your initials in the original repair order.
if it was a buddy-buddy handshake thing,....then tough titty, you pay nothing if you want. it will be his word against yours in court.
or threaten him with court and a phone call to the BAR.
the BAR is akin of telling the IRS your uncle had been cheating on his taxes and is due an audit.
the most important thing is...did he fix the x???
if so and it was all legit, have him go over the whole repair order with what they replaced and why. and don't forget "overlapping" repairs.
I.E. cam tower is leaking and they repair it. they can charge for the cost of the belt, but not the labor to replace it since it had to come off anyway!!
hope this helps
mikemo

Mike is right, the work order must include a brief but accurate description of the repairs to be performed and must be signed by you and or authorized by phone by you. It should include all the details on the form, Date, mileage, lic# or vin#, address, etc if it is incomplete it may be invalid. B.A.R. is your go to choice for automotive repair disputes. If you do have to pay to retrieve your car from being held hostage I would suggest you pay with a credit card. This will allow you to easily carry on the fight by disputing the charges. I recently had a dispute with a repair shop. I fortunately paid with a credit card. I disputed the charges with my credit card company, they supported my claims and refunded the charges in full.

Thanks guys - trying to keep this cooperative with them but doubtful that will work.

Appreciate the coaching.

get ready

get all your ducks, and I mean all your ducks in a row, put on your game face, and get ready to kick some ass.
he has to remember that one s##ity job and word of mouth will erase all the atta-boys he has collected over ALL the years in biz.
he will know this and should act accordingly.
and remember that no mention of the name of the shop here, as that could construed as liable or slander and get you in deep doo doo.
now, if you were to mention in a ramble that you went across the four lane road after dropping the car off to enjoy a meal at I hop, .....
ya get my drift here??
mikemo:dance2:

Hi guys-it's been a while since I've been active here because I've been waiting for a shop that I brought the next two to finish her up for me. I brought her there in August 2014, yes almost a year ago. Do you still have her, and what's worse is Dave damage to the car. Let me explain:

I brought them the car to fire up for the first time and gave them a car cover and tarp to keep her covered in the event of weather because she didn't have her engine waited and air filter assembly and all those other things on her. They left her uncovered through the range that we had in December which means that water got into the engine. Since that happened Dave been stalling and having an awning in inventing problems of the car to prevent me from picking it up. The latest is that they are now claiming that the starters bad despite the fact that it's a brand-new starter that works fine when I dropped it off. To make it worse I actually went over the other day jumped in the car and she turns over just fine, which means that they're just out and out lied to me about what's going on with the car.

If now come back and said that it's going to be 3000 or $4000 for all of this nonsense, and they won't release the car until that's paid.

Like Mikemo said get a written estimate first. If you don't have one then you are SOL. If I was in your situation I would show up at the garage during working hours unannounced with a trailer and a couple of good friends to help me load the car and cut my losses. It might not be a bad idea to request a law officer to be there when you pick it up. After all this time and hassle even if the guy got the work on the car done I would never feel like the job was done right and odds are it wouldn't.

Tom,

I can't tell from the posts what type of legal position you might be in. I really want to see that green X running and purring like a cat. Give me an email or call to explain the details further. You have my contact info in the SoCal X owners list.

If all else fails, we may need to bring in Uncle Rocco from Utica to better "articulate" your side of the story.

Mike

Did I ever mention my daughter is a Transportation Law...

Expert and an Attorney?

But before we enlist her... call me at 661-296-7277 and let's talk.

Have your Pink Slip handy as well... They cannot hold your car hostage... they can only take YOU to court for their unpaid bills. We'll get your car back...

As stated by everyone else. You must give authorization for an amount the garage estimates for. They have to give you an written est. of how much it will cost before any work is done. If their est. is under estimated then they must call you for the additional amount. It must be dated, what time of day you gave the ok and for a certain amount.

At no time can a Licensed automotive repair take it upon itself to unjustifiably charge an amount without your ok. By law if the repairs are ridiculously more than what you have authorized you don't have to pay for what was not authorized.

If they have a problem with that YOU will need to contact the B.A.R. and speak to one of their reps. and explain the situation.

A law enforcement officer has no jurisdiction in that type of matter as it is a civil matter.

bad job part two

an officer can be requested if there is fear of violence when retrieving the car. but they will bill you.
my suggestion would be hire a few rather large Italians in dark suits that arrive in a dark sedan with sunglasses on.have them out of the car and stand with their wrists crossed... up for it papa tony?? :dance2:
mikemo

bad job

I'm too skinny to be a threat, but I do look dago enough to be a ringleader. especially in my long leather coat and black tie:dance2:
mikemo

ugh, sorry for your drama, just one more reason to do all your own work, nobody cares as much as you and few shops know these cars well enough to charge you like they're "experts" on 'em. This joker owes you money and should be ashamed. Get the car back, sue him for damages and fix it yourself. :geek:

Last edited:
Tony...recommend adding to intimidation factor...

Select the right Cadillac & let'em know you arrived...
caddysideways_zpsytg2zsyi.jpg

This ain't your Grandpa's Caddy...

I was initially thinking of Fleetwood or Limo...

I could easily rent... or borrow a big black Escalade. Using three Escalades looks more like CIA kinda thing... which is actually worse than the Mafia-look as these guys have no souls...

Good hearing from ya Mike...

Repair shop blues

Hello, and too bad about the car.
The comments are correct about the "quoted amount". Basically walk in to the shop, pay the amount you originally authorized and tow out the car. The regulation is very specific on this matter for auto repair shops in CA. If you authorized $500.00 and the shop decides to do $5,000 of repairs, they are out of luck as you can pick up the completed car for $500.00. Also they CANNOT remove or undue any of the completed work, it is FREE. I would suggest you visit the shop, photo the competed work in case they want to play hardball and then offer to settle the matter. Let your conscience be your guide. Any trouble, just file a BAR claim( Bureau of Automotive Repair). Action will be swift from the Auto Repair Bureau. Call me if any questions.
Bob

NEWS FLASH TO ALL

I forgot..... don't drag you heels on this!! if you do and don't contest the bill and/or get the car, he can put a lien on the car for what he says you owe for repairs and storage. once the paperwork is filed you will pay hell to get her back!!!!!
if tony is up to the task, I will fly down and help.
DO IT NOW!!!!!!!
mikemo
tony, you are going to pay for the limo and dinner (and the 19.00 u owe me):dance2:

no HA in this
and I hate flying, but will if necessary

I wrote something that may have applied 6 months ago but just erased it......
get a lawyer, they owe you at this point, seriously, you're being manipulated and abused, get a lawyer

you probably should have pushed the point months ago, every day that goes by now makes it worse for you and better for them, lawyer up or at least get good advice and pursue it....TOMORROW!

WOW... Mr. Snow tells a different story...

Sorry to see such a W-I-D-E void between the two viewpoints.

I don't know Mr. Snow but do know Mr. Deutsch somewhat... both appear to be gentlemen. Hopefully a reasonable conclusion can be reached soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back