Color Question Yellow Cars.

jjay911

True Classic
I have a 74 X. I Am not sure of the original color because the plate on the front is missing until I find it. I think it is some type of Yellow. Does anyone know all of the yellow colors available in the early 70s for these cars? I am going to repaint but I think the car would look better with a bit darker yellow. I am leaning towards School bus/Koni yellow. Not enough of a change to effect the value but just enough to be a better color than that really light yellow.

Pics are always welcome too. Thanks.

1974 used Chrome Yellow which isn't very light, it is a nice rich yellow.
From 1975 on they used California Yellow which is much lighter and can look a lbit washed out.

I prefer the richer yellow.

As Ulix stated and if its not a 100% ALL ORIGINAL car...

it won't affect the value at all. You can't possibly pick a color that is gonna be perfect for the NEXT guy though if you are gonna sell it... but you can pick a color which is generally MORE popular than others to gain a larger audience.

Thinking 'out loud'... there is only one that fits that category for this type of Sports Car... and that is "RESALE RED".

Here are some photos of the 74. Would you believe it runs and drives. Just needs cosmetics.

I am going to do the entire car. Paint in and out and new interior. It will have a perfect Dash and redone seats. It will be spectacular. I am thinking the only upgrades will be new shocks. New style brakes/calipers and some nice aftermarket wheels. Then keep everything else stock.

'Datsa nice-a car! I don't recall ever seeing a pure stock...

'74 with all its correct components... Yours appears to be missing its smog pump with regards to the cam belt cover. The air cleaner and cooling duct look a bit outta place as well, missing OE wheels and 145/70x13 tires and some of the rear end trim... but otherwise a real GEM for a 100% restoration.

Congrats!

Jeff,

I think Benjamin Moore auto paints has a color called "Corvette Yellow". That's what I had Big Bird done in. I think their paint code number was 50329 if you're interested in that shade/tone of yellow.

Mike

Back