Zonker's 1300 buildup thread

zonker

Just Another FIAT Freak
Yep - it's starting to happen. :eek:mg:

A year ago, for the cost of the tow (thank you tdskip), I aquired a '77 1300 4 speed parts car with the intentions of building up a motor for my '74.

So far the car has served mostly as work bench, but did contribute some parts when I repaired my bushingless RH headlight door linkage and my very hard to crank LH window regulator assy and window stop on my '74.

So, since the homeowners association sent me a "get rid of that eyesore in the driveway" letter, I pulled it in the garage and started taking parts off the motor.

Which brings me to this new thread.

Prior to my getting the car, the motor has been stripped of it's manifolds, distributor, exhaust, and electrical, so all thats sitting in the engine bay is basically a long block attached to a 4 speed trans and CV shafts.

I pulled the cam tower assy and found out this donor motor is not the original motor. The head has the 4 individual smog pump manifold ports like my '74, not the single pipe like whats on my '78. So my first question to those in the know is what model year did they get rid of the smog pump 1-4 log manifold and switch to the 1-1 single pipe connection?

Can't answer your question but I'm glad you got the HOA off your donkey.

Mike

Yes that part is good but now my blue '74 is no longer in the garage :mad2:

As for the different types of smog pump plumbing, my guess is 74-76 uses the 1-4 manifold and 77-78 has the one 90 degree tube. Any 76 or 77 owners out there to confirm/deny?

Now for the motor buildup... my objective is to make a nice street motor that runs on pump premium (91 octane oxygenated Kali fuel), has a power band that feels like a twin cam motor, that is it pulls progressively harder as the revs climb to it's 8000-8500rpm rev limit. As for power, I'd love to not lose any tq from stock and have it give something in the 85-90 hp range when it's spinning at it's peak.

Too much to ask? I'm told not, so lets see how close to "Baby Ferrari" status I can get this car to behave.

Last edited:
Port machining

Rob, when it comes to port machining of your head, make sure material is taken from the top and sides of the ports. Taking material from the floor of the port is counter productive and not all machinists understand that.

Keep up with the updates, it sounds like a nice motor. :grin:

Cheers,

Rob

zonk

you are really testing my brain cells now.
74 to 77 had the air injection rail, and 78 the had the one valve setup, getting ready for the 79 nightmare smog crap.
depending on the setup your going to use, check the thermo housing.
if it has a small port on the housing and the head it is the later type and to mismatch would cause coolant to enter into the combustion side of the engine!!
be well my friend
mikemo:D

you are really testing my brain cells now.
74 to 77 had the air injection rail, and 78 the had the one valve setup, getting ready for the 79 nightmare smog crap.
depending on the setup your going to use, check the thermo housing.
if it has a small port on the housing and the head it is the later type and to mismatch would cause coolant to enter into the combustion side of the engine!!
be well my friend
mikemo:D

Thanks Mike, so then the head probably matches the car s year. It's got the large 3 bolt opening on the thermo side so I think I'm golden then. The block looks good too, it measures out at 86.0mm and little to know ridge on the top.

No Mike, no smog stuff needed for the '74 THANK GOD
But I do have a defunct vacuum retard thermoswitch on the '78. Got one of those?

just got another thermoswitch on my latest parts purchase, which may take this engine build to a new level...

I have picked up a used 1300 PBS BVH, std size PBS 86mm pistons, and a 1500 short block bored to 87mm and o-ringed, assembled with forged pistons, a PBS stroker crank, a set of Crower I-beam rods, and a ton of other misc parts. Thank you, Charlie!

At this point, I need to examine all the parts and make a decision whether I want to build the 1500cc short block (which I think was being set up to run a turbo), add the pbs crank to the 1500 block to make a 1650cc motor, or stick with the 1300 block and add the stroker crank for a 1600. The combinations I have now boggle the mind :nuts:

Oh it is, it is! Some real sexy parts indeed! The 1550 block has been o-ringed and plumbed for an oil return line, but that means if it was being built for turbo it is intentinally being built with low compression, so the pistons might not be correct for my build.

And if I use a 1500 block, I will have the issue of too tall a motor to fit under the '74 engine lid, and I sure like the look of the low profile engine lid, to me it's one of those things that makes the '74 look so darn good.

Back