Assisting my old rt foot

htfx19

Herzel Frenkel
My brakes are getting harder as years advance, so -
I am considering installing a set of large diameter brakes.
Never heard of it before, does it mean no one done it or is it not a practical solution?

My brakes are getting harder as years advance, so -
I am considering installing a set of large diameter brakes.
Never heard of it before, does it mean no one done it or is it not a practical solution?

I have always thought larger Dia. rotors would be the most logical brake modification. I have half heartedly looked around and found no easy solution.

There is a bloke in Australia who put a double remote booster system in the front (ala Alfa). IMO the unboosted brakes are one of the nicest things about an X1/9 - its not something I would do. But if needs dictate it.... may be worth considering?

UnoTurbo fronts are 240mm (vs 227) and vented - but I can't honestly say I've noticed any difference to the pedal effort. Croma Turbo are 257mm (also vented) - but I think you will struggle to fit them in 13" wheels.

Another option that has been discussed recently is Lada twin piston calipers. Apparently you can fit a 250mm disc inside a 13" wheel with these. Again, I'm not convinced that the average X1/9 driver in a roadcar needs better brakes - or that something out of a Lada constitutes an "upgrade" :D, but for the sake of completeness here is the link with lots of info and part numbers etc:

http://turbo124.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15356

There is also the Wilwood "Whoa" kits around - I think these use a solid 240mm disc?

Edit: I just remembered I took these photos back when doing brakes. Std, UnoT, CromaT.

P1010116.jpg

P1010118.jpg

P1010120.jpg

Herzel... maybe your right foot is NOT the...

only thing that is old.

I find the STOCK brakes are more than adequate for these cars especially as cruisers and ESPECIALLY for the way I know you drive.

I suspect that maybe a fresh set of rotors and pads... along with cleaning things up a bit and INSURING the calipers SLIDE easily on their mounts would do wonders for your ride... even if they are not worn out!

Spend a $100 bucks doing that first before you spend $$$$ on a brake kit, tires and wheels like this one here from Allison Automotive:

Fiat/Bertone X1/9 Big Brake Kit

You are buying a Big Brake Conversion Kit for the Fiat or Bertone X1/9. This kit is used to install the front brakes from a new Fiat 500 onto the X1/9. The kit includes everything needed for the conversion. The kit includes Wilwood black coated calipers and brackets, performance disc pads, braided steel hoses, new rotors, new steel caliper adapters and grade 8 hardware. The original front brakes are 9" non-vented rotors, this kit improves the front brakes to 10.25" vented rotors. The braking improvement is amazing! This kit makes your X1/9 stop like a modern sports car. Braking distance is shortened by 25%! Replacement parts are readily available since the kit uses parts for the new Fiat 500. The calipers are 4 piston WILWOOD units with autocross and track day performance disc pads.

The kit has two options: either DL10 or DL20 disc pads. The DL10 are street pads, the DL20 are performance street and autocross pads. Both kits are the same price.

NOTE: This brake kit requires 15" or larger wheels.

The kit includes:
2 Wilwood black coated calipers
2 caliper brackets
DL10 Street pads or DL20 performance pads
2 Braided steel hoses
10.25" vented rotors
Grade 8 mounting hardware

See the listing below for the recommended MOTUL Performance Brake Fluid. $625.00 for the kit, $52 Shipping in the US. International orders call or email for purchase and shipping information. International shipping is $225.

(Listen to your Papa... and you know I have 1% of your heritage and live like it was 99% most of the time!)

Hope you are well, regards to Irit...

Thanks Tony for the wise words

I shall consider your advice.
Irit is fine, just drove together un Blue WhiteX from a family dinner.
Be well

Before "upgrading" to another brake setup, be sure your stock setup is fresh. Old pads, rotors, flex hoses will degrade performance.

Depending on your driving style, pads can glaze and become less effective over time with lots of light braking. Old, thin rotors will be less effective than fresh new ones at shedding the heat of braking. How old are you flex hoses? Old hoses will absorb more of the fluid pressure than fresh new hoses.

Old brakes

Well, my disks are 5-6 yrs old, I guess.
The pads are probably 2-3 yrs old and very low mileage.
Yes, my driving is fairly timid.
The flex hoses, probably 5-6 yrs too.
My foot though is 77 yrs old...

Thanks Gregory.

So Herzel... was there a big difference in braking...

when you changed the Pads three years ago WITHOUT the rotors?

If the problem really isn't with your 77 year old foot... (Its really 78 isn't it... come July it will be 78 on paper only, right?) But I digress... if it isn't your foot, then I contend doing a complete swap of rotors AND pads (don't got exotic with racing stuff) will probably make things much better for you.

That will be 77.5 on July 14...

I will swap. I even have a set of rotors and pads laying around...
It will be a while, though.

Get to the gym Herzel and do some leg presses... regular exercise is vital once you get above 50 to maintain muscle mass.

Seriously... don't waste $$ on fancy parts, just make sure what Fiat gave you is working optimally.

SteveC

Back