Fiat X1/9 1982 restoration/race build

That's 121.59 mph in the 1/4 mile! WOW...

At 11.2... you are getting really close.

Those 3/10ths are gonna be a tough climb but you can do it. If ya got this thing going that fast, I'm sure you can get it to go that much faster!

Thanks!

Clutch is starting to give up after 3 races. It was refurbished,surfaced in winter,but it looks like the sinter pads are cheap chinese material instead of what i had before (Competition clutch).

I am thinking of ordering a new disc,but it will take 1-2 months to receive it.

We have reached 200 Km/h on 1/4 mile!

All times are incl. reaction,as it was the final run. 1/4 mile time was 11.567

17656_831222173630114_4617926706024306291_n.jpg

All good... but reaction time appears to be a problem...

When you turned 11.2 a few weeks ago... what was your reaction time?

I think you should be able to save a couple of tenths right there... and with your clutch problems, I am surprised at your top speed increasing that much (3 mph) as well!

I don't know where you are ordering your clutch parts from but if I were you... I'd order a couple sets so you don't have this much down-time... next time!

Congrats though on a great new top speed!

Reaction time was not so good. This was not the same track,asphalt instead of concrete with glue.

Clutch is slipping only if i do burnout 2 times. So it is on its limit,if it gets hot due to burnouts and launch,then it is a problem. Yesterday it did not slip at all. I did only one run with 2 burnouts,then it slipped again.

Generally speaking,if the traction is not soo good,there is some gain in speed. Also the weather was more cold yesterday.

awesome

Awesome Build,

I am curious about what your findings were with the camshaft in the end did you end up swapping back to the GT1 camshaft?

I am running a Piper ultimate Road cam in my 1.4L Uno turbo motor and bottom end is pretty average.

The Cam runs out of Puff pretty early on in the rev range too it's running out at around 6800.

We are looking at potentially going to a custom grind cam to try and resolve these issues.

Hi,

no,i kept the Piper 285 ultimate road cam. The issue was,i have pretty long gearbox (70-126-180-266-3xx*8000),so with the piper,the dynamic compression was way too low. Engine static cr is somewhere around 9:1.
The GT1 cam closes intake ~40ABDC,the piper ~70 ABDC. This means,at low revs,the dynamic CR is way too low. I had issues to keep speed in level sufrace in 4th and 5th if the rpm was below 3000.
I advanced the cam,so i got back some of the dynamic CR. This helped a lot in fuel economy. Also the turbo spool was ok with launch control. Piper right on the mark was awful,i could not build sufficient boost to have a good launch.

So my advice is to advance the cam,until it revs ok and bottom end rpm has enough torque. You can also validate it with simple compression measurement,you can compare results with cam on mark and with advanced cam. If i remember well,i have half a tooth advance,maybe a bit more.

Engine revs up to 8000 where it hits the limiter,i assume it could do more,but after ~7200-7500 it starts to loose some power. I think at that high revs,cam on mark would be the answer. I always wanted to design a VVT on the SOHC,but never realised it :grin:

Now,the race season is over here,hopefully i could keep my first position in all 3 championships.

One of my goal is achieved:doing over 200km/h in 1/4 mile. Last weekend i could do multiple runs over 200,best being 202.25km/h. To tell the thruth,there was backwind,but i am still happy with the speed i could get out of the small 1.6 turbo.

Other goal is waiting me in the next year: going below 11s.
Best this year was 11.245,so i might be close,we will see what happens next year.

Also 60 feet is improved,best was 1.55s!!!

I will continue to praise and offer admiration, only if...

YOU PROMISE TO START A NEW STRING!

Geez!

125.79 MPH * 11.245 and 1.55 60 foot time! OUTSTANDING for almost ANY street driven car these days outside of the crazy ones!

Congrats... and I am sure with this start you will eventually drop into the 10's. That usually equates to about 135 mph though... I don't think you can improve that much on your 60 footer and would concentrate more on the top end.

Just sayin'... sitting here at my computer!

I think also the same,going lower in 60 feet on street allowed tires is not much possible.I need some more power to increase top speed and then i can just go below 11 next year. I would be totally happy with two 10.99s runs.

Some upgrade is needed on the ignition system,as it looks like, Punto GT coils doesnt support almost 2 bar of pressure with E85 even at only 0.4mm spark plug gap.

Also i am thinking of changing gear ratios to somewhat shorter 3rd and 4th.

Unfortunately Imageshack deleted them,so i would need to upload all the lot of pictures again somewhere and re-link them. Lots of pics are available on FB.

great pic's!! looks like a lot of love in that restore!

Also great is the smile on you seat cover's face. It is great when the other half enjoys the enthusiasm of a project like this!

Keep the updates coming!!

Hi,

finally I got the car on a rolling road. I am a bit disappointed about the measurement,as there is a huge 50-70 Hp drop in power where the boost was hitting really in. Acc. to the operator,the measurement is real and follows my boost curve. Boost is spiking to 2 bar settling down to 1.8.

My opinion is,the boost was hitting in too fast,the RR was not able to react fast enough,causing this kind of graph. On the video from 1:11 you can see ,that rpm is rising slowly,then a sudden increase between 5000-6000,then it takes 3-4s from 6200-8000.

Also i do not understand the first measurement with only 270 hp. It seems,they tried to adjust the load on the rolling road,we got every time a bit higher RPM where the drop occured,but they could not eliminate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAq4EOLsTRQ&feature=youtu.be

Hi,

sadly my engine was totally destroyed last weekend. Piston pin pirclip fall out,pin moved to one side and broke. Piston,rod,crank and engine is dead,cylinder liner broke also. Head had 1 bent valve,the rest is ok.

Back