Honda Fit 1.5 Liter 130Hp Engine Swap?

I don't wish to spend too much time on this as there are other more important things on the every lengthening to do list. But. . . . . .

Myron is onto something that many dismiss due to age and perception of the car it came in. The 146A2 000 and 146.A8.000 blocks are similar to the 1500 SOHC you guys have laying around like confetti. The additional width between the bores and differing oil system are built to take forced induction in their stride. If you only think that you can get 130 HP out of a "Uno Turbo" then please think again. If you add to the mix the 176A.4000 block from the stock turbocharged 1372cc (136hp Punto GT1) and then browse on some Euro forums will it lead you to examples where +200hp is no big deal. It is a bolt in proposition.

With Ti retainers, uprated springs,lightweight cam buckets, forged pistons / rods and a well designed exhaust for a GT2554R (GT25R) you won't be able to wipe the grin off your face. Admittedly there is bit more than that to get the air,fuel and timing there but I hope you get the idea. Landed from the UK with the bits to build one I'm sure that you won't come within coooee . . . of around 8K on a DOHC K20 swap. Without appearing rude why so shy of importing engines?

It really is horses for courses though, if you are a dyed in the wool NA guy then you will always find a way to point out lag no matter how limited it is. For goodness sake just change down a gear and get spooling, the Euro Trend of car makers Turbocharging small capacity engines be it petrol or diesel is not going away for good reasons. As for judging an entire car range based upon consumer reports, both the Uno and the Punto were designed by car design artist "Giugiaro". It was a revolution back then, the inspiration for many later 'super-mini's', which earned it the prestigious award of "Car of the Year 1995" in Europe. Same turbo engine in the MKI GT as the later Uno Turbo :dance2:, never judge a book by it's cover. Its like saying I'd never drive a car or use a front cut from Japan because some Takata airbags kill. ( Now theres a massive recall program ).:eek:mg:

Your going to have way less options if you exclude cross flow heads, the Lampredi reverse flow SOHC are not popular anymore for many reasons, some of which are stated above. If you do then look at the crossflow options where the exhaust is placed up against the X firewall like the Fiat Multiair would be. A well constructed tuned exh' manifold out to the side over the gearbox made of steam pipe feeding a twin scroll compressor of the appropriate size will limit most of the "lag" and by the love of Zeus let go of the aversion to going with an aftermarket engine management computer. If you commit to precisely controlling fuel/timing/detonation coupled with a well resolved intercooler system the NA conversions from the land of the rising sun are not as attractive as it would seem. I understand why people do it as local market availability is a factor.

I guess I would add these to your lists ( warning NON Fiat content )

Suzuki's little 1300 G13 series DOHC turbo (?Pontiac Firefly?) did you guys ever get them? Introduced for 1989, there is a large following for the Suzuki Swift with a heap of aftermarket support ( which the X 1/9 will never have ) so the ecomomy of scale and its age make it a candidate. Never looked too hard to ensure it fitted, to be honest. From the looks of the engine I came across at the wreckers it looked like the output shaft rotated in the correct direction. I understand it likes to rev'.

And my current favourite donor the Fiat Multiair, the limited research I have had time to do lists many exapmles across the FCA marque range that have it. Besides the now elusive 500 Abarth at the salvage auctions I have added the 2012 Fiat powered Alfa Romeo Giulietta to the hit list. The juicy 6 SPEED MANUAL TRANS/GEARBOX is in that and I have no objections to killing every singe example of the horrid Alfa FWD rendition of the once fantastic rear wheel drive Giulietta. As to if the tranny fits the lower L/H wishbone I have yet to discover, but I'm sure someone will chime in as to why it can't be done easily.

I wish you the best in your search for a new swap candidate. For my 2 cents - keep it in the family - Italian.

Happy hunting

"back to 130 bhp. A 1.6 or 1.9 SOHC Fiat motor could be built to give those kind of numbers and it would be a bolt in proposition"

... could be done very easily, and a whole lot simpler than an engine swap.

Unless your desire is more than 150hp at the crank, stick with a naturally aspirated SOHC Fiat engine.

SteveC

... Without appearing rude why so shy of importing engines?...

Getting a motor into the US is an expensive risky PITA. Shipping fees, brokerage fees, "clean truck fee"?!?!?!? There's some rule regarding engines needing to be 20+ years old. If the engine is shiny and clean there's extra scrutiny. Through all this you never really know if customs is going to find a reason to seize it anyway.

Then there's the problem of locating parts outside the US for a 20+ year old engine. My Mk1 Uno Turbo that cost a small fortune to import is a lump of iron on an engine dolly partly due to troubles finding a good head for it. The condition was misrepresented and head was badly corroded. The replacement head I imported was also bad (appears to be a really poor casting, surfacing revealed various cracks and pits)

Dealing with a non-US engine inside the US sucks.

Not just engines

Whole cars can also be a real PITA!

I looked at importing my Aussie X1/9 rally car because I found out shipping costs weren't awful.

But!!!

It would have had to pass emissions at the port of entry (California!!!) and if it appeared modified it was going to undergo extensive scrutiny. No way to hide a welded in roll cage.

Then at the end of the day customs can just decide to seize the car if they aren't happy with it and it gets destroyed.

So I can understand many peoples reticence at trying to import anything other than just parts. It's a real shame though...

Cheers,

Rob

Flappy Paddle Shifting

So.... I could see the fun in getting that to work... I test drove a FIT with them, and it wasn't bad, for what it was.

I suppose for that to work, you would have to basically transplant all of the electronics as well as the steering column. Maybe after I win the lotto and have enough free time. As I barely have enough of that now to keep the two Xs I have in good running order and perform the occasional upgrade.

Correct youtube link

http://https://youtu.be/K6_POGP8D_Q

- If you listen to the entire video he keeps saying "these little engines are bulletproof." Wish I could have said that about my 1980 Fiat X1/9 1.5L.
- He goes on to say he has seen turbos installed to where they generate 260Hp.
- He measures the engine 23" x 18.5" x 16" Will it fit in an X engine bay w/o any modifications?
- He said he paid $1,175 for the engine.
- I'm sure it weighs a lot less than a K20.

Looks like fun to me:
http://https://youtu.be/pUedgrbww94

Last edited:
Better link

The link you posted had issues for me, this one may work better.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6_POGP8D_Q"]Honda fit aircraft engine walk around - YouTube[/ame]

The B16 rotates the opposite direction of the 1500 which means the engine/transmission positioning is reversed from the stock locations. Do you know which way this engine rotates? Would the transmission go on the left side of the engine bay (looking in from the rear of the car) like the X? Or would the whole engine need to be reversed to put the transmission on the right side?

And here is what the flyboy plans to put it in...

http://www.zenithair.com/stolch750/index-cruzer.html

Interesting aircraft and the typical 100+ HP Lycoming or Rotex engines for this plane are closing in on $10K.

But maybe they need to cost that much.

Just an FYI... I can say Bullet-Proof about my '79 1500 Carbed Fiat engine a few times as well. 174,000 and never been overhauled, and frankly... not treated very well either and it just gets better and better.

The B16 rotates the opposite direction of the 1500 which means the engine/transmission positioning is reversed from the stock locations. Do you know which way this engine rotates? Would the transmission go on the left side of the engine bay (looking in from the rear of the car) like the X? Or would the whole engine need to be reversed to put the transmission on the right side?

Going off the video, the pulley side of this engine goes to the passenger side, with intake side of the head facing forward. This is the same configuration as the K20, and therefore should sit in an X1/9 just like the stock motor.

The B series engines are great engines, but I've always liked the idea of keeping the engine and transmission in the same spot or side as the factory engine when doing a swap.....

My 2 cents...

Surely the motor would fit but because the intake and alternator would be facing the firewall on the X, I think you'll have some fitment issues like the k20 swap...namely having to have some of the motor accessories or intake occupy a portion of the spare tire compartment. Hard to say though since the 1.5 is probably a fair bit smaller than the k motor. Would be an interesting swap for sure and certainly a reliable one as well once finished.

So if we are targeting +200hp then you guys are stuffed for Lampredi SOHC options. Bugger! Those that have a K20 will tell you the X 1/9 chasiss can handle it.

That really sucks regarding customs but I guess it's just an extension of your chicken tax thing. From this far away US free trade seems like smoke and mirrors and your customs is a PITA. For what it is worth you can still find Punto GT1 NOS crate short motors in Europe for less than USD1500 you just have to be 1. lucky and 2. patient. Getting them into OZ for just a little less than that again using a good broker was no big deal. Honest boy scouts honor.

What if you did do a Man in Black and brought in head separate from the crank/rods, manifolds bare block. They are just Fiat SOHC parts for a domestic approved SOHC Fiat - are Customs that anal? With parts I seriously doubt they whould know the difference. The 146.A2.000 / 146.A8.000 blocks are really just variations on the 1300/1500 SOHC so most NA bits fit. There are two guys on here that are based in Europe I have delt with one of them often and he is very helpful/reliable the other I have heared 1st hand sounds the same. I am sure even if you had to ask them if you needed the part media blasted and cleaned/bagged to make Customs happy they would oblige.

For your 20 year rule - You guys never got them but if it helps these all fit (the GT1 is different but still a bolt in)

1985–1989 Uno Turbo Mk I (specification A) Engine Code 146.A2.000 Bore 80 Stroke 63.9 Calc cc 1285

1985–1989 Uno Turbo Mk I (specification B) Engine Code 146.A2.000 Bore 86.4 Stroke 55.5 Calc cc 1302

1989 Uno Turbo Mk II Engine Code 146.A8.000 Bore 80.5 Stroke 67.4 Calc cc 1372

1993–1995 Mk I Punto GT (GT1) Engine Code 176.A4.000 Bore 80.5 Stroke 67.4 Calc cc 1372

Any of them can be tweaked like the Fit at the link above with higher spec rods/pistons/compressor to reach ~250hp reliably. They all share the same SOHC pick ups for the mounts (if you swap over the cam tower) so no need for chassis cutting and cradles. If you want to go to all that chassis mod effort for the same power output have fun.

Anyway, now I've gone way OT and run off at the mouth again so I do apologize to the OP ( sorry Jim ). Bugger me I have to finish a PM for another Ozzie Fiat Turbo builder and cook dinner.

Sandy

"1985–1989 Uno Turbo Mk I (specification B) Engine Code 146.A2.000 Bore 86.4 Stroke 55.5 Calc cc 1302"

UnoT never came with 86.4 bore ....that info in the Haynes manual is incorrect... spec B is 80.5mm bore, stroke is 63.9mm....haynes also say it has 40mm (plus) intake valves ... ummm... no.

SteveC

"UnoT never came with 86.4 bore ....that info in the Haynes manual is incorrect... spec B is 80.5mm bore, stroke is 63.9mm....haynes also say it has 40mm (plus) intake valves ... ummm... no.

SteveC

Thanks for your assertion, but that info didn't come from a Haynes. I only quote from sources with a bit more credence than that.

Back