hood vents

mikemo90

True Classic
does anybody here have a precise way, or how to install hood vents in the front part of the hood? the two triangular parts of the hood.
I don't know if I have to separate both halves and install, or bond them on. the problem I see is the raised portion of the inner sub structure that I have to work around.
all info apreciated:worship:
mikemo

Hood vents?

Mikemo,

I have NO idea what you are talking about. Hood vents for an X1/9? Front trunk lid? Engine lid? Targa top? Or is this for a front engine car.
Enlighten me please!

Ed

vents

yes to all. there are two triangular cross braces on the underside of the front trunk, that somewhat match the divots or recesses of the radiator cover in the trunk. black beauty has that inner "radiator" shroud gone, so I want to add the grilles to the hood and I don't know how to do it without compromising the inner hood framing. there are reinforcing ribs along the opening where I want to cut
open your hoods and you will see of what I speak.
yea I know, I could go with a fiberglass hood, but I have two stock hoods here and to those that haven't had a muscle car in the day the hood is in front, or frunk in dago.
ciao
mikemo:italia:

vents

yes to all. there are two triangular cross braces on the underside of the front trunk, that somewhat match the divots or recesses of the radiator cover in the trunk. black beauty has that inner "radiator" shroud gone, so I want to add the grilles to the hood and I don't know how to do it without compromising the inner hood framing. there are reinforcing ribs along the opening where I want to cut
open your hoods and you will see of what I speak.
yea I know, I could go with a fiberglass hood, but I have two stock hoods here and to those that haven't had a muscle car in the day the hood is in front, or frunk in dago.
ciao
mikemo:italia:

I'll try to take a picture of how mine was done. Going to make a calendar note to do it when I get home tonight.

Ahhh - got it Mike. I assume you want to do this to allow for better air flow through the radiator?
Ed

vents

that ,and to make the black beauty look mean with purpose.
mike m(in ore) hopefully would be proud too.
I have two fans installed so cooling isn't the issue, and down force either, since I won't be going over 120 mph.......well maybe :laugh:
just want to do it right the first time.
mikemo

I plan to do the mod at some point myself. I have taken the X up to 120+ a few times since the swap. Surprisingly it feels smooth (in a straight line anyway) but I can sort of feel the nose feel like it wants to lift or maybe it is my imagination...Cool factor is high too :dance2:

IF I go that path, it will be fiberglass hood. May as well shed some weight while I am at it.

I plan to do the mod at some point myself. I have taken the X up to 120+ a few times since the swap. Surprisingly it feels smooth (in a straight line anyway) but I can sort of feel the nose feel like it wants to lift or maybe it is my imagination...Cool factor is high too :dance2:

IF I go that path, it will be fiberglass hood. May as well shed some weight while I am at it.

If done right the front vents could probably help keep the nose down at higher speeds. It is a freaky feeling when the front of the car gets light when going fast. Years ago I had that feeling east of Barstow on fairly flat stretch of I-40. The speedometer on my Renault Caravelle only went to 100 so one time when heading to the river with a friend pacing me in his Alfa I decided to find out what the Renault would do. He said I only got up to 104 before I backed off. It was a stomach flipping feeling so I hardly ever got over 80mph after that.

I would say any venting of the radiator exhaust via the hood will help to reduce front end lift. I have seen the trapezoidal cutout shapes near the front of the hood and the larger triangular cutouts further back, both using the bonnet stiffeners as their outlines. The trouble with these is that they tend to feed hot air into the cabin.

I have used the outer triangular shapes available to the sides of the hood on my 1.9 Dallara. I had other constraints in that I wanted the frunk to be weather resistant for regular road use and I wanted to be able to stow the roof in its regular place, so I needed to get inventive with ducting. The side vents will also send hot air towards the sides of the car rather than right over the heater intake, so I'm hoping I won't get permanent heat in the cabin.

My venting system is somewhat restricted by the area available between the hood stiffeners so I have kept a small opening at the bottom of the rad. It would be much better to completely close off the floor level outlet and exhaust all air via the hood if you can.

6V5mqU.jpg

For race purposes I just cut the sheet metal and stuck some screen material in the hole. These are useless unless you also cut the area just behind the radiator. I have a few ideas on how I want to reroute the air and sometime this summer I'll have something figured out.

vents

black beauty came with a heater "delete", so air won't be entering the passenger compartment at all.
maybe I should refine my question. the front trapezoid openings are what I am asking about. but on the inner framing, there are raised edges along the perimeter of what would be opening. do I grind them down and re bond or should I be meticulous and cut the screen to clear them?
mikemo:eek:mg:

Ya know Mike... I think since you are having a problem...

capturing what others are saying... and yur probably too old anyway...

Why not purchase 4 hood pins and a fiberglass hood that can easily be cut-up and reinforced any way you like. (Personally, I would hinge it anyway and use only two pins so you don't haveta lift it off...)

My thoughts to keep the nose down was to remove the inner wheel liners in the front and add lovers in the fenders about were the emblem is on the yellow car in previous post .Have done this on other cars with great results.

Back