Bosch WR7DP or 4016 Platinum Spark Plugs.

Black-Tooth

Tony Natoli
Not to start any arguments... But I have RAVED about these plugs for probably over 15 years now.

They are a SINGLE electrode Platinum Tipped plug that has been PERFECT for my application as well as many others when I have installed them in their cars. I also run the equivalents in my Vette and T-Bucket Roadster running an Olds. There are also some DUAL and QUAD tip variants but I prefer un-shrouded spark kernels... and I also don't know their P/Ns or status offhand. What I do know is... apparently Bosch is no longer manufacturing them!

Can't find them on the Bosch Site and can't find them listed or stocked by my usual resources anymore.

There are a few that can still be found in boxes of 4 for between 16 and 30 dollars and free shipping on EBAY. Search for 4016 Bosch Plug... which is/was the newest P/N replacing WR7DP (P = Platinum)

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...osch+plug.TRS2&_nkw=4016++Bosch+plug&_sacat=0

Watch out for some real scammers asking a bunch of money for ONE, or shipping for $21 bucks...

Lastly... or almost... there are certainly other makes and that will fit and work but I am not familiar with them. Bosch still makes a Copper/Yttrium* Plug that will fit an X1/9 with a P/N of 7900 (old P/N of WR7DC C = Copper) for about $2.50 apiece anywhere. These appear to work fine but I would expect that they would not last as long as a platinum plug. Usually not a worry for us Sportsman. HTH...

* Yeah... Yttrium, I never heard of it either... but it seems to be a rather interesting material. Here is what Wiki says:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yttrium

Last edited:
Tony, if you want some WR7DP, rockauto.com has them right now on closeout - 4016 for 81 cents, and 4216 for 1.44 each! Limited stock so you better jump.

Since they are the same production code part number (wr7dp), the two are exactly the same plug. 4016 shows for a 72-73 128 Fiat (and Aston Martin etc) , and 4216 shows for an X1/9, but they are all the same as far as the actual plug. In other words, the difference between the two has to do something superficial, like packaging (single plug vs 4 pack or the like).

Remember Tony, like MikeMo, I'm an old auto parts guy so I know how to work the system. ;)

For my '78, I'm putting in a later bosch electronic ignition I got from Charlie in Chula Vista, so I sourced those 4 plugs , a dizzy cap, and a rotor from good 'ol Rock Auto for $21.80 total including shipping. I kept the cap and rotor price to a minimum by sourcing a 1980 VW Rabbit w/ Cali emissions ;) ;)

Well... I gotta say you are RIGHT again... but it makes no sense.

The 4016 and 4216 are both WR7DP stampings as you pointed out but I would EXPECT a difference in HEAT RANGE or something!

When I do a search for WR7DP I always come up with a 4016 plug... and I see the same thing happens when I search for a 4216 plug. It does not seem to matter if its a single or 4 or 8 plugs in a box.

With the WR7DP case and reach and all I imagine they will work fine but probably are just ONE heat range colder or hotter. Kinda like Champions might do with their J12Y or UJ12Y plugs or AC 44's versus AC 45's.

ANYWAY... what is with the 1980 Rabbit parts... do you have part numbers you can share?

See thats the thing - the "7" in the WR7DP indicates heat range. What happens is the oem plug for the two different applications might be different heat ranges, but Bosch used the same plug to fit both, therefore two SKUs containing the same actual plug.

For your review:
https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/superplus_designationcodes_10.pdf

As for the 1980 Rabbit - that was a little reverse engineering of the oem numbers that a repackager showed as the same number. The Cali model Rabbit used the same rotor as the X1/9, with it's wide "T" shaped rotor tip, and the cap for many bosch dizzys are interchangable (from 12v beetle on) and I prefer the terminals out the top instead of the side, so the matched set of cap and rotor came to $9.

Last edited:
Well Rob... maybe its just me...

See thats the thing - the "7" in the WR7DP indicates heat range.

No problem with this thought...

What happens is the oem plug for the two different applications might be different heat ranges, but Bosch used the same plug to fit both, therefore two SKUs containing the same actual plug.

I have a problem with this... BOTH plugs are WR7DPs and therefore are the same heat range... but the SKUs (?) are different, 4016 and 4216, if I understand you correctly. So who's fooling who... or is it who is confusing who? Doesn't make any sense to do this in my mind unless they are trying to make a manufacturer feel "special". Geez!

Also... I understand NOW what you were saying about the Rabbit parts... I focused on the word "Cali" and thought you were saying you got a better price because of it. I was aware of the dizzy cap and rotor as well.

I have a "pointless" Bosch Dizzy in my '79 and found it difficult to get the correct rotor for it. Caps were easy... but the rotor gave me trouble from a few sources. Once again I may be "special"... but alas I was able to clean up the old one and it works fine.

Anyway... a good discussion...

See thats the thing - the "7" in the WR7DP indicates heat range.

No problem with this thought...

What happens is the oem plug for the two different applications might be different heat ranges, but Bosch used the same plug to fit both, therefore two SKUs containing the same actual plug.

I have a problem with this... BOTH plugs are WR7DPs and therefore are the same heat range... but the SKUs (?) are different, 4016 and 4216, if I understand you correctly. So who's fooling who... or is it who is confusing who? Doesn't make any sense to do this in my mind unless they are trying to make a manufacturer feel "special". Geez!

Also... I understand NOW what you were saying about the Rabbit parts... I focused on the word "Cali" and thought you were saying you got a better price because of it. I was aware of the dizzy cap and rotor as well.

I have a "pointless" Bosch Dizzy in my '79 and found it difficult to get the correct rotor for it. Caps were easy... but the rotor gave me trouble from a few sources. Once again I may be "special"... but alas I was able to clean up the old one and it works fine.

Anyway... a good discussion...

Get a 1980 rabbit 1.6 california model dizzy rotor and you will be set - i think I saw one by itself for around $2 on closeout.

I'm all set really... but I will contact you as a resource...

from this day forward and forever!

HA!

My problem was not with the rotor configuration itself... but with the shaft size. The diameter was either too big or small, I can't remember which now. Thanks though...

You got it, my friend.

Another example of parts reverse lookup - Just found the drive end bearings that fit into a smog pump on rock auto - $5.43 each!

The application?
1972 Ford Mustang 302 V8 - alternator drive end bearing :laugh:

Back