Cousin w/familiar door handles...

Bertone parts bin

The handles used on the X1/9 and Jalpa were also used on the Ferrari Dino 308 GT4

And the Lamborghini Silhouette (which predated the Jalpa)

And the Lancia Stratos

You will also notice the latch holding the nose closed on the Stratos is the same over-the-centre mechanism that holds our roofs on. The Stratos also had the hood latch of the X1/9.

These door handles may have been used on other Bertone designed cars too. The one on the Lamborghini Urraco was similar, but squared off.

Well spotted!!!

Cheers,

Rob

I LOVE THE SILHOUETTE! That would be a car I'd love to have.. it looks so good with those wheels, and the wheel arches.

That Jalpa for sale has Silhouette style wheels - interesting.. I didn't like the regular Jalpa wheels.

BTW: I've always considered the Silhouette to be the true cousin to the X1/9 - targa, mid engine, Bertone.. a great formula :)

The car has it going on!

Never actually have seen one in person but the Jalpa and many other Bertone designs just really speak to me far more than anything coming out of Pininfarina... Guess that is why I passed on a brand new 1980 Fiat Spider 2000 for $400 more than my new X1/9... Back in the late '80s when the kit thing was really rolling I actually scaled and lofted a LP 500 body to fit the X1/9... I built the buck for the body... Looked really cool and it scales quite nicely... Project was seriously derailed and abandoned but in retrospect the Jalpa would have been a better design to do this with. The cool thing about the House of Bertone was the reuse of elements like the handles and such which give folks like us the ability to actually see the connection our cars have with "super cars", cousins , brothers. However you look at it the designs have continuity throughout the era... Very cool indeed!
Thanks also for posting as I am fabing some " euro-bumpers" very similar to the ones on that Jalpa to replace the 5mph '79ers I just took off my car...

I always liked the Jalpa.

This reminds me of an incident where I was tooling south from Providence RI in the Crab along I-95 around 1987 when a Jalpa pulls along side and honks his honk and gives a big wave and then moved on. I was always impressed that someone with the wherewithall to buy a Jalpa knew that the X 1/9 was close relative and wasn't afraid to say hello.

Wrong.

The handles used on the X1/9 and Jalpa were also used on the Ferrari Dino 308 GT4

This is FALSE. Yes - they are very similar - but they are NOT the same - at least X1/9 and GT4 ones are different. I haven't seen a Jalpa handle personally so I have no idea if they are X1/9, GT4 or different again. This urban myth has been doing the rounds for 30+ years - seems to have got a boost along with the internet!

Edit:- just looked at the photoes in the eBay advert really closely - I am fairly certain they are GT4 ones rather than X1/9.

What Franken is saying is that the x handles are partially made of plastic and the design is a bit different on the other cars and made of all metal.

Back