Anyone here bought tires from Demon Tweeks UK?

78paesano

True Classic
Looking to get a set of 185/60/13 Yokohama A-539 from them. In addition to shipping cost, do I also have to pay for custom? Will it clear custom? Anybody here in the US bought from them before? Thanks

Be aware that tires from the UK may not be DOT approved/stamped and not road legal in the USA. :hmm2:

Neither are Euro Code headlamps

:)

I believe someone from the forum living in Canada just bought some tires from Demon Tweeks. You can likely search and find the thread.

If you lived close to the border, you might entertain having them shipped to someone who lives in Canada and drive up to get them. LV is not close enough to make that worthwhile, however.

As someone who lives near Seattle, I've wondered about driving into Canada, getting tires installed, and driving back home to the USA. Other than the tires looking new, who would be the wiser? (It would be just my luck to get the only border guard who's into cars.)

Tweeks

while I am in Australia, I can tell you that the service and delivery from Deamon Tweeks are exemplary. My set of track day tires arrived in 5 days and I even recieved a call before dispatch to check that I had ordered the correct tire for my purposes.

Tires

Two X head friends of mine who live in Maryland have bought tires from them. I will let them jump in when ready to tell their happy story.

carl

Yep! That was me. They do not have DOT markings, but this is the third set I've imported from Demon Tweeks. They're approved for EU and Japan, but interestingly they have a note on them for US and Canada (this particular marking does not qualify as a DOT marking)

They're Japanese made, and I can't wait to mount my fresh set on Monday!

The guys at Demon Tweeks have been great to deal with. Shipping was not cheap, but I did get them very quickly.

My old set were 9 years old, and not one crack on them. They were supple and still gave confidence of grip in the odd time I was out in the wet even at old age.

I did have an out of round condition with the last set, but it appears that my wheels were bent at the bead.. so I may have misdiagnosed my out of round condition and blamed the tires.

I can't say how easy it is to bring them to the US, but some have done it before. Be aware that customs officials may not allow them in. I had no issues here in Canada.

I've had no issues with buying tires either from Demon Tweeks or through eBay-Germany.
They arrive via the USPS (strapped in 2s) and multiple times no Customs fees or anything indicating customs looked at them.

Only killer is the exchange rate with dollar in the UK.

When FedEx shipped my Faza kit into the US from Canada I received a customs brokerage bill for about $150.00.

You should be fine on the tires.

I live in Canada but purchased a brand new set of Yokohama A048 tires a few years ago from Demon Tweeks and had them shipped to my U.S. address. I only did that as I thought that Canadian customs would tag on ridiculous border crossing fees. As others have said, Demon Tweeks were amazing to deal with and they arrived in the U.S with "zero" extra fees attached. I claimed them at the Canadian border and paid my taxes and brought them into Canada. I've since sold that set and purchased a NOS set of Yoko's from another Xweb member and have them installed and love them. You can't go wrong with dealing with Demon Tweeks.:grin:

Two X head friends of mine who live in Maryland have bought tires from them. I will let them jump in when ready to tell their happy story.

carl

I am a friend? Thanks. The service was great and I really like the Flaken ZE-912s.

DOT

Hi Gregory,

at least here in Germany, all tires are DOT stamped followed by the week and year of manufacture.

Great thing too, since you often run across used tires "only 5000 mls on them!" that trun out to be 15 years old. :)

Possibility of a group buy?

I believe several of us would be interested, if shipping multiple sets could cut down on shipping costs.

Thoughts?

Hi Ulix,

Tires sold in Canada and the US must have "DOT" markings, but European tires have other markings that qualify for that respective market. The Yokohama A-539 do not have US DOT markings, and they're sold in Germany as well.

I think bulk shipping would be a red flag for customs and closer scrutiny of the US DOT markings.

Last thing you want is the tires to be seized! I bought 5 tires, cost $725 CAD and I still felt like I was taking a chance.

I wish Yokohama would introduce these tires to the US /Canada market even in limited run. I had A-509 many years ago and loved them. I had Pirelli P6 before that, and I prefer a trusted me brand over some of the recent offerings.

I'm getting mine mounted at a Fiat dealership as I write this (they have a Hunter road force balancer, I want them to be perfect) I should be set for another 10 years!

:)

A539

Photos of my A539 with the markings when they arrived years back.
I think the tire police could care less but YMMV.

Fast shipping

FYI, I ordered 4 last week and it got to my house in 3 days, that's UK to Las Vegas in 3 days. WOW I'm impress. Tony will probably say I paid too much but the total price was 307.78GBP=$462.68USD. Global Priority shipping was $183.00USD. No problem with US custom.

AWESOME!!

I had mine mounted, they're nice and round.. unfortunately my car is waiting for some parts so I can't drive on them yet... arghh!

That's a good price, the exchange works in your favor. Didn't for me (Canadian dollar isn't doing so hot right now).

Make sure your wheels are nice and straight - mine weren't - EVEN though they looked straight. I had them fixed, and they're round again...

Back