Need help identifying this X1/9

Triestino

Daily Driver
I'm interested in pulling some parts from this X1/9 that is located in a recycler yard some distance from my home. Called the owner of the yard and he does not know or care to go look for the year of this Fiat. I'm basically looking to pull the electronic distributor/ignition system if it's a later model and install it in my 128. The owner doesn't seem willing to have one of his workers check if the X1/9 has an electronic or points system. Can someone help identify what year this X1/9 might be from the following pics? Don't want to drive the distance if it's an early X1/9. Thank you in advance for your replies. GT

Hi,

this is a very early model, a 1975 (combo of US bumpers with short ends and euro (or US 1974) front turn signals with extensions).

No electronic nothing on this one. :)

Hmmm

The car actually looks nice. Might be original paint.
Maybe someone here wants to save it?

Looks like

A 75 or a 76.

Body is in good shape from the pictures.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

No electronic nothing in stock form

Hi Ulix,

No electronic nothing in stock form, but who knows what is really in there after all these years. Lurking under that hood could be a dual carb setup with fancy ignition. Or if you have my luck, it will look like this. ;)

75_engine_1.jpg

Thank you all for your replies. The owner of the yard called me today and informed me that the X1/9 is actually a 1979 model. I asked about the distributor setup (points/electronic?) but he didn't have time to look. My question to all : If it truly is a 1979 model, will it have the electronic ignition setup or points system>?

It's NOT a '79

Mine is a 79 and this one is different looking.

The body differences noted makes this an early model X19, post – 74.

Definitely NOT a '79...

Thank you all for your replies. The owner of the yard called me today and informed me that the X1/9 is actually a 1979 model...

As others here have already stated, this is most likely a '75 model. Proof of that would be the 1975-only front turn lamps with black plastic base "extension" housings ('74 had the same lamps, but bolted directly to the car body). More proof that it's not a '79 are the ladder-style bumpers (1975-78), the targa vent covers with the early cast-in "bertone" logo, the early-style engine lid & side vents/trim, the early "X19" rear trunklid emblem, & the all-red (not amber) rear turn-signal lenses. This car might also have the '74-style manual choke knob next to the emergency brake handle (along with the '74-style black plastic e-brake/choke console/surround).

All it takes to verify the year is to open the drivers door & look at the white plastic year/VIN ID tag on the lower B-post. It may have a late-'74 year on that tag, which the junkyard staff may have accidentally copied down on paper as "1979", or maybe they did write "1974", but have bad penmanship? (I had this exact thing happen on a '74 x I had a long time ago).

I asked about the distributor setup (points/electronic?) but he didn't have time to look. My question to all : If it truly is a 1979 model, will it have the electronic ignition setup or points system>?

A '75 model would normally have the Ducellier points-type distributor, though there is the possibility of a previous owner having replaced it with a Marelli points-type distributor from the 128. It would not normally have an EI type distributor setup unless a previous owner had installed that upgrade him/herself (ie: either an aftermarket kit, the late X1/9 Bosch setup or the Yugo Bosch setup).

A '79 model should have the Bosch electronic ignition distributor setup, as that was what was factory-installed on that car. This can be swapped onto the 128, though you may have to lengthen some of the wiring on it depending on your installation.

Last edited:
OK... lets stop fooling around... get the VIN, then...

post it here and I/we can compare it to a chart that tells us what years what VINS spanned.

This car is NOT a '79, no way, no how... PERIOD. It is somewhere between a '75 and a '78. Most likely nearer to a '75.

If it is a '75, BUY THE ENTIRE CAR because of the exemption from smog inspections. What to do afterwards we'll need to speak privately... as long as you are not a Cop or work for Consumer Affairs.

fiat

it is no doubt about it. it is a 75. the bumper ends are flat and in 76 they wrapped around the fenders and 1/4 panels to look more "swoopy" for lack of a better word.
unless the PO was switching parts around back in day.
I have 4 rims and tires if needed to roll this home.
TAKE THE WHOLE CAR!!!
it would be the steal of a lifetime....
mikemo:dance2:

Yep, upon closer inspection I agree as well...

Offer the wrecker $100 for the entire POS and take Mike up on his offer and tow it home. This is a valuable car in CA.

The owner of the yard called me today and informed me that the X1/9 is actually a 1979 model.

He's mistaken, unless someone has gone to the trouble to install a 1300 engine cover, side vents, fuel filler, ... on a 1979 1500. The '79 and later dash and glovebox arrangement is also completely different than on the '74-'78 1300 models. This is a '79 or later dash and this is a '78 or earlier dash.

People have been known to play games with titles - I've come across two 1974 X1/9s that were titled as 1979 at one point in their life - but if you can get the VIN off the car that will settle it. The VIN is on a plate at the base of the windshield in front of the steering wheel, on a plate in the front trunk above the passenger-side wheel, and stamped in the crossmember in the front trunk above the battery. The stamped one is the one to believe if they don't all match.

Back