Old guy trying to post pics...

DanielForest

True Classic
Hi,

I finally decided to take the time to open a photobucket account. I had an interesting document to post. So I scan it... just to discover pdf's aren't supported by photobucket. Ok. So I will use it only for pics.

But is there anyway to post a pdf?

BTW, when I mean "old guy", I was just referring to the fact, a few years ago I was regularly posting on two forums. This one and my Solo 2 club. This one is still interesting. Probably because we are mostly 50 years old and over. I'm sure there are some younger guys, but the main owner's of X19's are probably... old. The Solo 2 forum is so quiet that I asked what was happening. The answer is "Facebook". The Solo 2 guys are mostly younger Forum are not interactive and quick enough for them. Bad luck. I have no interest in Facebook, that's their lost.

Daniel Forest
Montréal Canada

In Apple OS you can open PDF's & export them to other formats...

Screen%20Shot%202016-07-23%20at%2010.36.24%20PM_zpsnxcxnadk.png

On a PC, I dunno....

I agree about the forum usage - the Volvo forum I used predominately has shifted to a FB audience, and it's pointless - any meaningful questions are lost in a torrent of immature responses. I can't be bothered with it.

Last edited:
Rescan your document, but tell the scanner software that the original being scanned is a picture rather than a document. When you tell the scanner software it's a picture, it will save the file in a typical picture file format, such as .jpg, .png, .tif, etc.

I hope the following helps.

If you did the PDF in Acrobat and want to revert to a lossy image file do the following, it is not dependent upon the quirks of an operating system in use but rather the Adobe software feature set itself

In Acobat choose Tools > Export PDF.

The various formats to which you can export the PDF file are displayed. You can choose speadsheet, document, image etc etc. Choose Image

Select the file format to which you want to export the PDF file and a version (or format), if available. For example, if you choose to export the PDF file to Word format, you will get an option to export the PDF into Word Document (.docx) or Word 97-2003 Document (.doc) version.

Click Export.
The Export dialog box is displayed.

In the Export dialog box, select a location where you want to save the file.

Click Save to export the PDF to the selected file format.

By default, the source filename is used with the new extension, and the exported file is saved in the same folder as the source file.

Note:

When you save a PDF in an image format, each page is saved as a separate image file, and each filename is appended with the page number.

If that fails then you could try this, or as Dan suggested if it’s a small stack of paper just rescan it and output to IMG instead of PDF.

http://www.wikihow.com/Convert-PDF-to-Image-Files

Some of us have an aversion to imageshack, it has its quirks, postimnage org is free and the image hosting is fine for forums. Personal image libraries I would use something else with more security.

Try this thread where Tony tried to point to how to use POSTIMAGE, it may suffice for your needs. They have had a GUI upgrade but the premise if is the same.

or my old one

NB

I wholeheartedly agree with Husseins comments about FB, vacuous inane folks waste pointless amounts of time, over sharing, on that data mining platform. Often it’s hard to pick through the intelligent bits. Won't go there

Last edited:
I usually jpegafy any pdfs

Problem is when it's an extensive document. I wish pdfs were easily posted.

I agree that the "social media" are beginning get a tad weird. What I dislike is the absence of any organization to the contents, as said. You must cull through a lot of irrelevant nonesense to get anything useful. Very wasteful. Hence my utter distain for our very own "What did you do...." sticky. There is some good stuff up there but you cannot easily search it. Consequently a lot of good ideas and work are evaporating into the dim history of posts.

Finally, I am not certain whether it is a consequence of that sticky or the migration to FacelessBook in general, but does it seem to anyone else as though this site has gotten a lot quieter over the past year? Days can go by without a new interesting post.

I use Dropbox as my means of posting pictures and documents regardless of format (this allows you to post any type of file).

The way the forum is set up you can't view multipage PDFs but people can download them.

Among the many nice things about Dropbox is that is just serves the information, no click through to NSFW imagery.

It is free and can be accessed from your computer, phone or tablet.

There IS a way to post PDF's

FYI, this is not an advertisement. It's info on how I do it. I am not affiliated with Dropbox "the business" in any way.

If you sign up for a free Dropbox account (dropbox dot com) and put your PDF's (or anything you want to share "by link" into your Public folder, you can share them with the outside world. FYI, you get 5GB free on Dropbox. Anything more, you have to buy space for.

Once your Dropbox account is made and you've placed files into your "Public" folder, you can right-click the file you want to share and pull down to "copy public link"... then create a link here in X-Web and "paste" the copied link to your publicly shared files. Works great and is easy-peasy.

Here are a few of my past shared projects: (all in pdf format)

Allison's Automotive Distributor-less Ignition install, X1/9
Alternate Headlight Switch, late model X1/9
BBWM for late model X1/9
Headlight Pod wiring description, X1/9
Rebuild Bosch Ignition Box, X1/9
Replace Fiber Optics with LED's, X1/9
Headlight Pod Controller, X1/9
Veglia Clock Manual, X1/9

Enjoy! -Bob

Problem is when it's an extensive document. I wish pdfs were easily posted.

I initially thought about K.I.S.S and images keep it simple for the "Old guy" bit for the OP. DropBox is keewl and getting a large free allocation was really useful when it started up and you were a 'travelling worker'.

As the lads have posted above yes DropBox is one of the 'cloud' services that can host a PDF for free. Read the terms and conditions and err on the side of caution, keep the 'public' files you wish to share on a Forum etc on a different account from your work or private stuff.

Everything is hackable. Even FCA CANBUS', just takes dedication and the tools to reverse engineer. The 'Cloud' is just someone else’s computer, not everyone has a decent connection to the NET. I see HUGE files with no Dialup warning when I am on 4G mobile and it annoys me the the desk jockies that create them have no clue it eats my $. Services like these shut down or flush their archives all the time.

Tin foil hat removed

Best regards
Sandy

I use to use DropBox all the time

Then something happened, maybe some IT-think types got possession of it, and it was suddenly less intuitive. All sorts of ways that it is no longer "fool proof." IT uis no longer as easy to use as it once was for me. They are probably scratching their heads wondering why they don't have the traffic they use to. Poorly thought out user interfaces that don't account for the way EVERYONE thinks is a sure fire way to do it. It use to be a great resource.

Back