Suspension Report - HOLY CRAP!!

WildWilly

True Classic
Well, yesterday we installed the Hydrasports coilovers, new bushings, new steering rack and new inner and outer tie ends ends from VAS in the 74. What a difference. If you're thinking of doing something like this jump on it before the sale is over at VAS and it costs a lot more. I'm really happy with this setup, had the alignment done after and we're about -1 degree on the camber on the front. She handles really well. I've still got a wobble at about 65, but I know now that it is the crappy Federal S595 tire. Next year I think I'll just spring for the Toyos and never have to think about tires again. I forgot to measure the distance from the fenders to the floor before we changed (got a little excited) but now we are at just about 22" all the way around from the floor to the middle of the fenders. Drove about 100 miles today and things have moved around a little as it settles in, but I'll readjust again on the weekend. The ride is smooth but not too harsh, she stays very flat in the corners, no rolling at all really. It feels like a completely different car. I'm really happy, as I said if you're sitting on the fence on this one, just pull the trigger and order the coilovers, I don't think you will be disappointed, I know I'm not. Here are a bunch of pics. Thanks again for all the help and advice.

That is fantastic!

What a great looking car! I can only imagine how happy you must be with these upgrades! I will do likewise but not really ready because I am lower than stock with relatively new struts and many other must haves before wants... very nice looking car! Now go drive those tires off!!!! Oh! Almost forgot to ask... what did you set rear camber at? I think it was -2 from the factory but it has always looked super tilted in to me.... Spitfires were more severe but the X was right up there.
Regards

Great news...

it takes a whileto get everything done, but I think now it's safe to say you've now got the X1/9 you've always wanted...

Looks sharp.

SteveC

(now get to the dyno!!)

Looks great. Enjoy. Hope to see this car someday alongside another similar car in blue.

Great job!

Setting Questions

I have been installing the same setup on my '74 but because I am restoring everything on the X one section at a time I won't have the car on the road until next year sometime.

My questions are: (I also forgot to measure the fender lip to floor beforehand)

What front to rear spring rates and shocks did you go with? I chose 225/275 springs with adj. Koni inserts.

And once the springs were snug how many more full turns did you make? I had no idea what it should be so I only made 2 full preload turns. I'd like to make a better setting now.

Don't know if it makes a difference on the set up but the X has 15x7 Rota's with 195/45R 15 Proxes.

Hearing your response to the suspension feel just got me excited for when I do get the X finished!

Well, yesterday we installed the Hydrasports coilovers, new bushings, new steering rack and new inner and outer tie ends ends from VAS in the 74. What a difference. If you're thinking of doing something like this jump on it before the sale is over at VAS and it costs a lot more. I'm really happy with this setup, had the alignment done after and we're about -1 degree on the camber on the front. She handles really well. I've still got a wobble at about 65, but I know now that it is the crappy Federal S595 tire. Next year I think I'll just spring for the Toyos and never have to think about tires again. I forgot to measure the distance from the fenders to the floor before we changed (got a little excited) but now we are at just about 22" all the way around from the floor to the middle of the fenders. Drove about 100 miles today and things have moved around a little as it settles in, but I'll readjust again on the weekend. The ride is smooth but not too harsh, she stays very flat in the corners, no rolling at all really. It feels like a completely different car. I'm really happy, as I said if you're sitting on the fence on this one, just pull the trigger and order the coilovers, I don't think you will be disappointed, I know I'm not. Here are a bunch of pics. Thanks again for all the help and advice.

What spring rates did you get fr n rea?...and are your inserts one of the adjustable ones they offer?...or the regular ones?...thanks

Higher rates!

I run 450lb springs in the rear of mine, and 400 in the front, I'm head to VAS site to check the hydra sports. Car looks great with that reduced fender gap !

Answers in line below....

My questions are: (I also forgot to measure the fender lip to floor beforehand)

What front to rear spring rates and shocks did you go with? I chose 225/275 springs with adj. Koni inserts.

I went with 165/225, mine are the Hydrasport inserts. I talked to the guys at VAS and the higher rates are designed more for track use. I just wanted a nice firm ride on regular roads, and I think that is what I have.

And once the springs were snug how many more full turns did you make? I had no idea what it should be so I only made 2 full preload turns. I'd like to make a better setting now.

We started by making them more or less hand tight while on the lift, we lowered the car down and it was too low to come off the lift. So we put her back up and I think the jam nuts are now about 2.5"-3" up from the bottom of the strut. Even with that, we needed to put 2x6 under the front wheels to get the arms of the lift out from under the car. Over time I will experiment with different settings. Lowering the car even more will actually make for a softer ride I think as it takes the load off the springs. I did notice yesterday while parking that at full turn I was rubbing the fender liners, I'm running 185/60-13 tires. But I don't often do anything at full turn.

Don't know if it makes a difference on the set up but the X has 15x7 Rota's with 195/45R 15 Proxes.

I think these tires are slightly bigger around than mine, but not by much, so you should be able to lower your car a fair amount as well.

Overall, I'm really happy with the look and the ride and handling.

Dyno run

Steve, Before the dyno run, I have to sort out the exhaust. Currently running the original Fiat muffler with a 1 ½" pipe or smaller. Tried to get that Lotus muffler on, but it is just too big to fit so it will go back on eBay soon. Once we get the muffler and the pipes sorted out, we'll hit the dyno. I have to say going from the 4.42 gears to the 4.08 makes a noticeable difference, the car doesn't feel as quick and maybe it isn't but the lower RPM on the freeway is worth it. Cruising is now between 3200-3500 RPM on country roads which is a nice level.

Rear Camber

The guys at the alignment shop set the rear to -1.6 camber and -1 on the front. I don't really understand alignment and all the adjustments, but she handles great. They did say that they don't make both sides the same to compensate for the crown in the road, which makes sense to me. As I understand it, if they made left and right exactly the same, she would actually pull to the right slightly as the road is not perfectly level, but dropping slightly from the middle to the sides to allow for water run off.

Spring rates

are 165 front and 225 rear. The Hydrasports package is everything you need. I looked at KYBs as well, but when you add all the extra parts, you're looking at more or less the same price, so it was worth it to me to get all the parts as a package from one place.

Just another added recommendation

Before you get too much further find a buddy with some scales and set the ride height and balance. If you think the car drives well now you will be off the planet with it balanced out. A bit of a pain to learn if you have not done it before but you went this far with the adjustable coilovers now just tip it in the basket.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/understanding-corner-weights/

Set your alignment etc after that. BTW spring rates look good for street. Go with factory specs, the camber looks too conservative. No matter what it is all adjustable so if you don't like it then try it again. If not familiar with these guys then check the site. Cost wise may be worth the investment for you or ask you buddies to see what they have.
http://www.longacreracing.com/products.aspx?itemid=1798&pagetitle=Vial+C/C+Gauges

Adjustability....

not exactly sure what you mean by adjustable, but here is what I know. One pair of the bolt holes at the bottom is slotted, so there is some adjustment that can be made there. Also the ride height can be adjusted by adjusting the preload on the springs. I think I'm probably 2-3" lower than stock. It would actually be good to know what stock height is measuring from the ground to the middle of the fender. I know that MWB has fully adjustable racing shocks but I'm not racing and didn't want to invest $2-3K in the suspension. I think for the price, the Hydrasports are a great deal. Hope that helps....

it does...basically, I just pinged their site & saw two different sets listed & one was referenced as "adjustable" though I thought inherently they are all adjustable in terms of height, camber,etc...maybe that is the actual dampener rate. thanks!

The Hydrasports are not adjustable strut cartridges but the Konis are. The camber and ride height are adjustable for either set.

X2 on Corner Weighting

Even though the X is rear wheel drive I'm sure corner weighting will make a very nice noticeable handling difference.

I had to re-corner weight my '61 Mini with the Honda VTEC every time I changed the ride height because without doing so the torque steer would be unbearable.

At the classic Mini shop it was only $100 each time.

Hey Bill,

Nice setup!

For the tire vibration, if you can find someone with a Hofmann laser balancer, they will be able to make that vibration go away - for sure!

Steve's tires in Vaughan can set you up, expensive - but worth it! His machine centers on the lug bolt holes, and my vibration went away (even though it was balanced on a Hunter Road Force before that).

PM me here or on facebook and I can give you more details. Cheers!!

Oh, and then you can put some nice wheel spacers and longer bolts with that nice suspension you got - she'll look even better :)

Bearing plates

Not sure I understand the need for bearing plates in the rear. I know they send you four with the kit. Have the kit set aside for winter project. Did you ask on the location of the bearing plates? Kit did not come with instruction sheet, just going by the pics on Vic's web page.

We can send you the PDF of the build order / instructions. Just email us and ask. As for the bearing, it goes between the spacer spring and the adjuster nut on the sleeve. It allows for easier adjustment, smoother compression and less bind when turning.

Back