What to do with a spare 1500 engine?

wildcat_lgf

Low Mileage
Since for some reason I can open the "What did you do to your X today" thread - I thought I'd ask some advice.

Just this week I bought a 1500 engine - basically for spares. I thought I'd eventually change the exhaust manifold, head and maybe camshaft on the 1300 - and believe the 1500 parts should suit.

Is there much use for the rest of it? I'm going to keep the 1300 as a warmed-over 1300, so not keen on making too many radical changes (i.e. engine swap). Maybe it wasn't a necessary purchase - but used X parts don't often come up for sale here so I thought I'd snap it up. Now I just need to figure out if I can get it in the back of the work car (Camry) without too much issue :)

As an aside, I also just picked up a nice set of Uno Turbo brakes - yay! I thought the discs might be too worn to use, so was bidding mainly for the calipers - but there doesn't seem to be much/any of a ridge on them, so I'll measure them up and hopefully they're still usable.

If you figure it out, let me know. I came by a spare 1500 carbed engine, with the gear box and entire rear suspension, brakes and wheels attached several months ago as well.

I've toyed with idea of tearing it down, checking it out or rebuilding it as a "test mule" but I don't have an engine stand as of now.

Ed

My advice.

I didn't think the difference between the 1300 and 1500 would be very much either, however, I would suggest you freshen up the 1500 and put it in. The effort to drop the engine vs. trying to replace the head in the car are about the same in my opinion. Just pull out the engine, then you can easily work on it and put it back in.

Back in the racing days, I had this down to 30 minutes from the time I started to the time the engine was (safely) on the ground and out.

Oh, finally there is a noticeable difference between the 1300 and 1500. Enough of one to warrant the extra work.

Again, just my opinion.

fair enough - probably not a bad idea...I'll consider refurbishing the engine while keeping the X running. The best of both worlds. Cheers

The difference is much more than 'just 200cc' ... the extra torque offered by the 1500 is what makes it.

Spend the $$'s on rebuilding the 1500 well, and take the 1300 out and wrap it in plastic and store it should the originality bug come and bite...

SteveC

1500 is too tall...

Won't fit under hood without a little modification. If it has the stock 1100 front end set up it would rise up and just about toe in until the tires touch if you got on the 1500! They are very fun little drivers!
Regards

Back