2017 Spider, has anyone driven one yet?

artz1731

True Classic
I really like the look of the New Spider and was curious if anyone on this board has taken one for a spin yet.
I'm afraid to drive one because I might buy it. Like all new models I wonder if it's best to wait a year or two. I always feel the second or third year cars get an engine upgrade. Although I would suspect it would need to be an entirely new engine platform.
Anyway if you have driven one I'd like hear the good and the bad from one of the X Web members.

Brett has.. I am sure he will chime in soon.

He said something to the effect that it was slow but sounded spectacular.

If its "slow, but sounds spectacular..." then why waste the money?

Our stock X1/9's already have that feature... and are way more of everything else.

I read a recent article that recommended waiting for a used one since although it's a Mazda it's branded Fiat and resale value may likely be diminished in a year or two. Really...

Well, "although it's a Mazda it's branded Fiat"

it's desirability in the first place may be diminished. Just sayin'.

The cars will likely always come with 160 hp from the factory due to a contractual requirement by Mazda. However as you know the 1.4 turbo motor can be adjusted with relative ease to output way way over 160.

The Auto Ricambi owned one Brett drove had over 200 at the wheels, in speaking with the boys from Ricambi they suggested a 300hp version wouldn't be out of the question.

The one they brought had been nicely massaged in a variety of ways so I don't think anyone would think it was slow.

The State Policeman who stopped them certainly didn't think it was slow...

I may suffer from low expectations but...

I am quite happy with 75 HP! It is an all or nothing proposition at least until the sorting out scale tips to my favor. My frame of reference may be skewed but I am usually pretty satisfied to just be moving... when these cars came out HP was down pretty much across the board. For GM the Vette was as low as 145hp? I had a '74 Stingray loud, hot, slow and not nearly as fun as any X I have owned. Mustang from around '80 had about 110hp as did most smallish cars at the time add to that the massive weight these cars had and the X is the top of the heap IMHO. Check out 0-60 times for cars of the era and many were in 10 to 12 sec range. The way I see it the X1/9 is a car that never should have seen the light of day... if one detail about it's story changed it may not have been built. Nothing that brought it about exists today so like lightning not striking same place twice X is not likely reoccurring. When I was younger I always wondered why they could not just build exotics in large numbers so we could all enjoy them... now know the answer thanks to Jason Lee as Syndrome "if everyone is special then nobody is special" X 1/9 is a mass-produced exotic and it is treated as such... nothing special, I know better! Last thing... anybody see the Prototipo on fleabay from Poland? Looked pretty nice, DOHC they said pushed 190hp.

Back