Rebuilt Rad

Crusader

True Classic
Good evening everyone. Hope this post makes it through. Last one appeared for a few minutes and then, poof, it was gone. Anyway, just gave in and had my 35 year old Rad rebuilt. Had the equivalent of a 3 core rad built. Will also be adding a second fan as soon as it arrives from Bayless. Temps had been creeping up under boost and in traffic. Apparently, the rad was constructed from steel and the airflow and coolant was heavily restricted. Steel, really, what were they thinking? Oh yeah, cost savings. Lol. Well it should now be nice and cool until the second fan arrives and then we can again jump on boost. Fans will be wired in parallel and come on at the same time, with 2 separate relays for safety. Cheers,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck with the new rad.

Good luck with the new rad Crusader. I hope that you get your temps back under control. I know all too well how fun it is too have to stare at the temp gauge instead of the scenery. :)

Good luck with the new rad Crusader. I hope that you get your temps back under control. I know all too well how fun it is too have to stare at the temp gauge instead of the scenery. :)

You r bang on Jim. I watch that temp like a hawk especially in traffic or a more severe uphill. Hopefully a thing of the past soon. Will post back results.

Damien,

Last edited:
Question....

Hi Crusader. i'm assuming that you just had your old original rad "re-cored" with a new - I'm guessing thicker, maybe a 3 row ? - core. And re-used the original end tanks ?

So...he would have dismantled the old rad by un-soldering the end tanks. The original rad should have had plenty of excess cooling capacity, as I think they used the same rad in the bigger engined Scorpions.

Some here have suggested that over time, the original rads became at least partially clogged with debris/casting sand/scale/internal corrosion. And thus lose a bunch of cooling capacity.

So..did you see the insides of the the rad when he took it apart ? Much crap in there ? Were the internal passages clogged or restricted ? Was it the original rad from when the car was built ? Would be interesting and informative to know all that.

Hope those nice new yellow wires I sent you are working well for you.

Thanks, Doug

Hey Doug. Great to hear from you. Still have my Uno Turbo blue wires on, have never anticipated a wire failure/change as I really want to see the yellow ones on. Might have to change them prematurely just for good measure. Lol. As for the rad, the inner steel tubing was rotting at the bottom and really bad at the corners. Lots of built up gunk down low too. He did use the original ends for the recore. They looked good with cleanup and boil. He actually used larger tubing chambers equivalent to a triple core cooling capacity. He is one of the best in the Vancouver area for the last 40 yrs. Should get the car back tomorrow and will report back findings. Still waiting on my second fan from Bayless which will be installed immediately upon arrival, then I can tackle the Rockies which are right behind us. Cheers,

Damien

Sorry Doug, internals were heavily clogged, not blocked completely. We did try a flush before, better for a bit, but back to heating in no time. Cheers,

Well, got the car back and in mild traffic with stop and go she kept cool around 90 Celcius. They painted the rad black, which I like and repainted my old fan also, looks new. About to take her on a spirited run up the mountain where in the past I had to ease off as she reached 120 Celcius. Will report back after the run. Cheers,

Well, much joy!!! All the way up the mountain on mild to moderate boost and the temps barely went over 90 Celcius. So far, very, very happy with the new Rad. Cheers,

Back