Tron Wheels. Who copied who?

RJH

True Classic
I noticed both the Bertones and MR2 each have those similar tron wheels.

Bertone. CD-171. 1984-86.

Wondering who copied who?

The Japanese auto industry is known for copying other designs so I am assuming (and we all know why we shouldn't assume) Toyota copied the Bertone wheel design.
Now, I am basing my assumption on the fact the MR2 is a basic copy of the X1/9 and that Mazda admitted to purchasing several Lotus Elans and reversed engineered them to come up with the initial Miata design.
But who knows, maybe Toyota had purchased rights to use the wheel design because they liked it??? I do not know.
V/r, Mike

Nebraska Mike

Chicken or the egg.

It's pretty common knowledge that the MR2 was copied after the X1/9 ...so that would go for the wheels as well.
Def period correct to the 80s and Bertone was the leader in futuristic looks.

and it's CD 179 "Trons" give the X1/9 that concept car vibe..BERTONE.
triangle shapes became popular in the 80s afterwards.

Here's an interesting blurb. :italia:

http://mr2.com/ARTICLE/MisterMeaner.html

Rumour has it that Toyota designed the first generation MR2 by buying an X1/9 and building it ten percent bigger.

If this is true, it would be significant for two reasons:
Toyota still considered the X1/9 a significant car nearly 15 years after it was first developed, and it took nearly 15 years for Toyota to summon the courage to copy it.

Greg,
Interesting and I am glad that I am actually somewhat right in my assumption. Normally, my "assume" becomes a Ban News Bears rerun.
V/r, Mike

Nebraska Mike

Back