Help needed to ship X from Connecticut

YOWman

YOWman
I purchased an X a few days ago and planned on having it shipped from Connecticut to Ottawa, Canada. The shipping company just informed me that they won't be able to pick up the car for a couple of weeks, even though I had told them that the seller would be unavailable after this Friday for a month.

I wonder if someone can help me out. Does anyone have the means to pick up the car and transport it to a storage facility for me? I would pay for you for your time and costs.

My plan was to export/import it through Ogdensburg/Prescott. Even if the car was stored somewhere along the way it would buy me some time to sort things out (the forms have to be submitted to US Customs 72 hrs in advance and they don't accept copies of the documents, just originals).

I am also looking into getting a trip permit and drive the car to the border, but I don't know if CT will issue one to me (the website is not very informative but I will call them tomorrow).

I'm open to other suggestions. This is my first X1/9 and I want to enjoy it this summer. It's a red '87 Bertone that appeared on this forum a few weeks ago.

I wish you all the best

You are braver than me. I picked up my first X a few months ago but decided that I would look for a Canadian car - or at least one that had already been brought through all the customs paperwork. To be honest getting a well maintained machine is by far your best option and it looks like you chose that route. I hope all things go well and you get the car back home with little to no hassle.

Congrats

You bought a very good car. You're right about the 72 hours, the paper work has to be faxed to the border location. One thing to remember, when the paperwork is faxed, get a printout from the fax of the outgoing faxes, this will show the date, time, number of pages and the phone number it was faxed to. If they haven't processed your paperwork within the 72 hours (which they hadn't done in my case), they will take the fax report date time and then do the paperwork while you wait, about 15 minutes. I was another 15 minutes on the CDN side, but you might be faster as the X is not part of the RIV program. Best of luck, hopefully, someone here will chime in and let you store it at there place, while you get your ducks in a row. Keep us posted. Also, I hope I can see this car in person one day.

I think we have it sorted. I have a few days that I'll be home around the 4th, and can just keep the X until then. If the shipping company show up when they're supposed to, everything will work. Fingers crossed!

I've been worried about trying to get the car legally into Canada since we first had contact, but YOWman has been on top of everything. I hope he agrees that the car is worth the trouble!

car to canada

if you are near the west coast I would be more than happy to store it here in cali until the paperwork is done. and I will mail you the keys so as not to have a "test drive"....so tempting... and getting my wife ok with another x here, maybe I can slip another into the stable later on with her not noticing. not!!
mikemo

She's on the way

Sorted out the shipping and the car was picked up tonight in CT. Once it passes through customs and arrives in Ottawa I'll write a post about the whole process and what I learned, which is mainly to have a lot of beer around because there are many moments that test your patience.

Pretty car!

Just went & looked through the linked threads - I like the reworking of the wheels - looks great against the red.

Did you do much to it in the few years you had it?

On your DD comment in the other thread, maybe it's time to move on to a 940 or a 850/S70? ;)

I don't know for sure it would work. But something to ponder.

First get the car here.

Then have it towed/worked on ,etc, etc.

don't pay the bill.

have them file a possessor line on it.

Buy it from them.

(I am not saying do this to cheat the seller out of the car)

but maybe a way to simplify the paper work on the car.

Another week

Just heard from the shipper and the car should arrive between Tues and Thurs next week. Customs has all the documents and now it's just a waiting game...

good looking

that car looks sweet even with the lamps from the transporter.
you must feel like a kid awaiting Christmas morning:grin:
mikemo

Hmmm kinda mixed feelings on where it is located.

Do look it over for dropped pieces damage from above.

The driver for the hauler must think good things about it.. It is parked in the spot the back up car goes (if the semi breaks down they like to have a good working car (with fuel) in that spot they can unload without the truck running from their.

Good point

Good thinking. I will definitely look it over when it arrives next week. When I got the pic from the seller I was happy that it was finally picked up but concerned when I saw the K-car above it.

Back