The ruination of a Fathers Day

Pete Whitstone

True Classic
On my way to my local house o' worship this morning in the K20 X. It's mostly out in the country, and I was on a fairly deserted, fairly curvy section of road about 3 miles long. I was on a straight section doing about 70 when a brand new 911 blew past me with a 30mph (recommended) sweeper coming up.

Well, what to do. Couldn't let that stand, so I climbed onto his rear bumper in the sweeper. Several more sweepers after that and I'm still there. Get out of the final sweeper, where there is a long straight after that. I think the Porsche thought this would be his chance to shake me. That did not happen of course.

Poor guy. For all he knew my X was bone stock and it not only kept up with his 6 figure ride, it climbed up its tailpipe each corner. Pretty sure he will be crying in his warm German beer tonight. :king:

Happy Fathers Day all!

Pete

Germans have Bosch refrigerators, so their beer is always cold.

Brits, OTOH, have Lucas refrigerators, which explains the warm beer.:fart:

Sounds like you had some fun!

if it was a he and if he was a father...

Yep, if the driver was a 'he' and if he was a father, maybe. More likely it more made your day tracking to the tail of a 6 figure new Porsche with your, what - 20-40k 30 year old X.

Fun.

Nicely done Pete!!! Today my Father's Day held an encounter with an Infiniti G37. Smoked me off the line, was not expected a duel. Ahead of us were 4 sharp corners coming down the mountain, caught him braking hard for the first corner and blew by him at 6500rpm, put even more distance between us with the next 3 corners. I slowed for the nod, unfortunately, the more I slowed, the more he slowed. Finally turned left and gave him a little wave. Lol. Feels soooo good. Cheers,

Nicely done Pete!

I had that enjoyable experience a few years back. A recent model Porsche 911 with a vanity plate "BROKER" was tailgating people and cutting through traffic. He cut in front me in my rusty faded 1987 Volvo Bertone 780 coupe. He tailed the person ahead into moving aside and punched it. So I did too. He kept looking back in shock driving faster and faster unable to smoke me. Soon he started driving dangerous and really speeding. I dialed it back to normal as he disappeared only to pass him in a few miles pulled over by the highway patrol. I guess he didn't know I put a 5.0 Mustang V8 under the hood...:innocent:

On my way to my local house o' worship this morning in the K20 X. It's mostly out in the country, and I was on a fairly deserted, fairly curvy section of road about 3 miles long. I was on a straight section doing about 70 when a brand new 911 blew past me with a 30mph (recommended) sweeper coming up.

Well, what to do. Couldn't let that stand, so I climbed onto his rear bumper in the sweeper. Several more sweepers after that and I'm still there. Get out of the final sweeper, where there is a long straight after that. I think the Porsche thought this would be his chance to shake me. That did not happen of course.

Poor guy. For all he knew my X was bone stock and it not only kept up with his 6 figure ride, it climbed up its tailpipe each corner. Pretty sure he will be crying in his warm German beer tonight. :king:

Happy Fathers Day all!

Pete

Great Story Pete and Happy Father's day to you too...

Go to any local track day, whiteness the winning brand fantasy... then watch these first time racer-wanna bees get a harsh reality check... Realization that carrying a proper and fast line around the track with excellent car control is no easy or simple task. That over powered performance car is actually a learning handicap rather than an advantage. When the driving instructor orders turning each and every electronic driving aid turned off allowing the vehicle to behave quite different than with the aids. This more often than not results in drive over driving the vehicle and learning the hard way what it means to loose control just past traction limit. This lesson in a controlled environment can save the driver's life and prevent the vehicle driven from being wrecked.

This episode pretty much comes down to power-vs- weight and traction-vs-weight. A properly powered and properly set up chassis on an exxe will deliver rather extreme performance. This is one of the much lesser known facts of this Bertone-Fiat design. Porsche being a status brand that has created their brand identity and image by winning races using vehicles that can be vastly different than their production offering. Yet the winning of races has a halo effect on ALL their production cars in ways that can be completely irrational. This is what keeps Porsche's market desirable, resale values up and collector-investors interested. Buying into that brand image and identity is a very significant part of that whole experience.... unit they get a harsh reality check of what their performance vehicles really are... no where as stunning and great as they initially believed.

Each and every stock GT-3 owner spoken to at a track day squeals about how their front tires are wearing weird, while fast, they are no faster than carefully done up low-buck cars that cost far less. One example, know a driving instructor who owns a really nicely done MX-5 specifically set up for track work. When he is asked to be instructor at Porsche club days, they strongly discourage him from bringing this MX-5 as it is faster than the vast majority of Porsche cars that show up.

Vehicle performance is just part of the whole, driver ability figures greatly into all this.

Road cars be they Porsche 918, McLaren, Ferrari, and etc ARE performance limited by traction and mechanical grip of tires. Granted some of the extreme variety of these exotics DO have effective aero and to a more limited degree ground effects to trade off power to down force to increase tire grip and traction. Regardless, they remain limited to what is possible by our current understanding of Physics, regardless of cost.

Where might it be possible on public roads to push these performance cars to their extremes for any duration of time?

One of my all time faves is the in car video of a Radical SR8 producing a record lap at the Ring in Germany. That record is nearing one decade old, that record has been challenged constantly over those years, some have come close, none to date has surpassed it.

Regardless of the potential performance designed into the exxe, it remains under recognized and under appreciated to this day. That Porsche will likely remain papered for the rest of it's days, while more x1/9s get crushed, neglected, abused and allowed to rot dying a slow death in unkind ways daily.

Bernice

Last edited:
Gee whiz, all I did for father's day is drive a bit over an hour each way to get some Fiat parts in the morning and later in the afternoon get an unplanned visit by two of my local Fiat buddies and proceeded to spend several hours just talking cars. Was a wonderful day.

After I started doing track days I was less prone to doing, ahem, street chasing since the track days taught me how fast you can really go in any car and all my track days were done in Fiats or the Miata I had. As noted, most folks who own high end performance cars have no training have have no clue how to properly drive them near the limit. I met a guy last week with a Honda S2000 in his old BMW 2002 and after talking track days with him it was clear he probably pisses off a lot of folks at track days.

The Perfect Fathers Day...

If we could all gather around a bar with cold beer and Moxie and spend the hours weaving tales of our X-ploits...that would indeed be a grand Fathers day.

I hope all fathers (and grandfathers) :happy:enjoyed this past week-end!

Most drivers get their first and initial taste of motor vehicle performance from a Street-Road car. This often becomes the point of reference for many. If an interest for motorsports and exploration of motor vehicle performance developed, more often than not, the target vehicle is a road-street vehicle. Couple this with brand image, brand identity marketing (racing and related competition) with the mis-guided simple minded belief of more power will always result in the faster vehicle.

Acceleration is the easiest aspect of vehicle performance to access, chassis dynamics is a LOT more complex and difficult to ascertain what is excellence in that area of vehicle performance.

There is also a widely held belief that ownership of a exotic performance vehicle results will achieve instant extreme performance ability. This is one of the root causes of so many performance vehicles being destroyed and wrecked on public roads. Individual ego and more are often tied to these occurrences too.

Then we have real race cars like this Lola T90-91 Sports 2000, powered by what is basically a FORD Pinto motor with about 130 Bhp normally aspirated in a near 1000 pound chassis capable of no less than 1.5 to 2.0Gs of cornering grip, aero does have an effect on this chassis. Note the encounter with the white BMW near the end of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2nrxJzi_-Y

The 24 Hours of LeMons version, Mazda 12A PP rotary powered exxe chassis.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-CJPtTCQgg

As much as I'm an exxe fan, it is real race cars like this where my passion and interest for performance vehicles are. The exxe being one of the closest and similar chassis dynamics of real race cars can be due to it's small size and mid-engine chassis-suspension dynamics. Add more power and set up the chassis-suspension properly and the results often exceeds what most could imagine or know. Much of this capability and reality is kept hidden by Fix It Again Toni brand identity, under powered as delivered and the mis-guide belief that Italian cars specially "FIAT" are poorly built, cheap, fragile and un-reliable.

Add to this some track day experience and proper driving instruction goes a long way to the motor sports experience.

Pete's Honda powered exxe is just one example of what IS possible.

Bernice

Gee whiz, all I did for father's day is drive a bit over an hour each way to get some Fiat parts in the morning and later in the afternoon get an unplanned visit by two of my local Fiat buddies and proceeded to spend several hours just talking cars. Was a wonderful day.

After I started doing track days I was less prone to doing, ahem, street chasing since the track days taught me how fast you can really go in any car and all my track days were done in Fiats or the Miata I had. As noted, most folks who own high end performance cars have no training have have no clue how to properly drive them near the limit. I met a guy last week with a Honda S2000 in his old BMW 2002 and after talking track days with him it was clear he probably pisses off a lot of folks at track days.

That's the hipster version. The old guy version is standing around in a garage with a bunch of Fiats parked in and around the garage. One had dual IDFs, one had dual DCNFs and sadly all the others had air flow meters.

Same as it ever was

99.999% of 911 etc. owners are like someone buying a $1,000 tennis racket and never taking a lesson. The tool imparts no skill.

When I was a young guy with my '74 X, there was always some smirking middle age guy in a 911 in my mirror coming onto a freeway ramp - at the other end their image in the mirror was quite small...

I think maybe cornering is counter-intuitive for the rich guys, as it involves some discomfort, which is not supposed to be part of the upscale experience.

AGREED!!!

My daughter once wanted a $400 softball bat. I told her as soon as she is consistently hitting with a walmart special I will get her the bat. the bat does not make the hitter. It will, however make a good hitter hit farther. Like the old adage, I great driver can drive a POS car faster than a crappy driver can drive a great car.

Odie

One of the things I like about this place is it's kind of an underdog forum, folks doing more with less! In my more "competitive days", I never had the best equipment, but there was always that smug satisfaction of outperforming someone who had better equipment.

One of the most common and expression of the bigger engine-more power will go FASTER myth plays with a endless loop at 24 Hours of LeMons. Over nearly one decade of LeMons racing, there have been many , many variety of put in the largest most powerful V8 (Believed to be un-bustable Detroit Iron), Weekend wrencher graft on a turbo or more driven by the more power is always faster fantasy. The vast, and this means VAST majority of them results in total and utter failure often in the first few laps of racing.

Having examined many of these conversions up close and in great detail, most if not all never had a chance. The engineering is often nonexistent, attention to details is neglected to oceanic proportions with the chassis never touched or considered as significant and brakes more often than not stock.

LeMons has also been an excellent test for what is reputed to be extremely reliable-durable street cars being revealed as what they really are when pressed to their limits hour after hour, grenade-ing far sooner than expected.

This is why most if not all engine converted LeMons racers get put in Class C, the lowest and slowest class as Jay and the LeMons folks have a deep understanding for reality -vs- fantasy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB4RjdiQjiA

Note worthy in the LeMons race at Thunder Hill, a Yugo not only finished it won the IOE, most coveted award at LeMons.. and a testament to the durability-reliability of that designed Lampredi engine.

Bernice

Back