I recognise those tail lights (Lotus Esprit)

Clark

True Classic
I never knew that the Lotus Esprit used X19 tail lights until today. Maybe thats old news to everybody else but to me its something I learned today.

575478.jpg
BackSeats_zpsofetvffp.jpg

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2016/6/8/The-Lotus-Esprit-At-40-The-Legend-Begins-7733801/

lotus taillights

yes they are the same as the x. the only difference there was a black plastic housing that they sat in. same carrelo numbers on the lens.
mikemo

Deep dark secret, Colin Chapman really liked Bertone and Italian designs designs in general. Enough to purchase a new x1/9 for his daughter Sarah (Chapman) Hepworth.

Of all the two seaters available from that era, Colin decided on the X1/9, now ponder why?

Bernice

Only the S1 Esprit used the Fiat X1/9 lights. By the S2 cars, they started to use Rover SD1 lights. S1's were fairly short-lived.

Lamborghini Countach

I was watching Harry's garage last week and saw the engine cover release from the Countach and went "What the heck!! Now that looks familiar". I didn't know they used the same mechanism either. Now I'm wondering what else is out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZuZBZyV6Eg

Countach_zpsxlmfayd1.jpg

12CableSnap_zpsdpfuwaft.jpg

I had better buy some parts before it gets out that they are interchangeable with the Lamborghini Countach.
Then the prices would go through the roof.
Mike

Nebraska Mike

Yeah. Check out the door handles to a Lamborghini Jalpa and a Lancia Stratos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At my mechanics shop he is restoring a 1977 Ferrari 308 Dino. Same trunk Latch as our X's. Also the headlight motors look suspiciously like ours. Lol.

At my mechanics shop he is restoring a 1977 Ferrari 308 Dino. Same trunk Latch as our X's. Also the headlight motors look suspiciously like ours. Lol.

A little snooping reveals there are a lot of cars of that era share quite a few components.
The headlight motors seem to be one of those items.
Interesting... My car is part Ferrari, Lamborghni, Porsche... :headbang:

HeadlightMotor_zpscuatscwo.jpg

Why should all this parts sharing surprise anyone. Bertone and other Italian Carrozzerias are small companies producing low volume products. parts sharing is mandatory to allow production.

The surprise comes with the belief Exotic cars are special in every way with special bits designed and made specifically for it, fact and reality is, good designers are able to and are going share bits when possible. This allows the designs to see the light of day.

This is why the X1/9 IS an Italian Exotic, it meets every description of the definition, has the proper chassis-suspension design, dynamics and performance. Other than lacking power train performance and a race victory pedigree and social status brand identity it is one of the most important small mid-engine cars deigned and produced in Automotive history.

To this day, the x1/9 is treated as used tissue paper by much of the media and car folks. Example of how marketing drives brand identity and vehicle market values which is more often than not a perception rather than reality based on substance.

Bernice

valve shims

yep. they are the same fiat/ Ferrari. the only difference was more variance in thicknesses. Ferrari being .05 for a much closer tolerance in valve adjustment as apposed to fiat at .5 and the same shim, with corresponding part numbers was three- fold in price. they had shared a warehouse in Burlingame ca. and a door separated them. got lucky having to make will calls there, and one Christmas, I got a full Ferrari shim kit from one of the staff.
good times:headbang:
mikemo

Back