Engine lid question

pdxgeo

True Classic
Has anyone had a lid that won't close due to clearance of air cleaner or other "upgrade"? Any creative solutions to keep it from flapping in the breeze? I'm thinking about making leather straps, or maybe somehow using rare earth magnets...

has anyone done something cool?

Thanks

Lots of solutions, my favorite is moving the hinges up.

Or...

Remove the rain tray... add screens maybe.

Cut a whole and add a scoop (backwards) to collect the air offered up by the turbulence of the rear window.

Install a different air cleaner or ram air in using the left side scoop and heater ducting.

Just to name a few.

You must be using a very tall air cleaner. I've used ramflo, bayless and weber filter & currently running stock air cleaner with spacers under the lid. No clearance issues.

I assume this is the '74 with 1500? If so, you're running a taller motor with the shortest lid. You could swap the lid for a 75, or a 76-78.

Replacing the rain tray with screen gives a lot of room too. I was able to fit a Uno Turbo motor (1500 height block) under a '74 lid without the rain tray.

I slotted the hinge holes and rewelded the U-shaped latch on the lid with some added material to make it longer.
Now the 1974 lid sits higher and a 1500 with DCNFs and K&Ns fits.
Rain tray is still installed.

So it's not just me

Same problem... A 78 with a 1500 in it. the lid floats just at 110km/h - slightly embarrassing when you hit a bump at that speed and it lifts right up! Like a skirt lifting in the wind for thr person behind. I was trying to find a thiner air cleaner than the standard circular thing but the factory one is only 50mm (2 inches) anyway. Removing he rain layer wouldn't give me enough space

Love to see pics of how people have managed it

Last edited:
BTW

Hello.
I have fiber enigine lid from Mid west that is solid fiber lid, and close air flow, so, any sugestion or advise to install it. Also to reinstall hinge parts as well.
Thanks

Back