Low oil indicator/AC

TOOKOOL

Daily Driver
Hello, guys;

I have a 79 x. I have been using this forum for several years, It's been a great help to me and I'm not done. I only use this forum for the x, but this time it's for a different car. I can't seem to find an answer anywhere so maybe someone can help me here. My oil light stays on, plenty of oil, changed the oil pressure sending unit, cleaned the connector with some electronic cleaner and it still stays on. Got in the car last night to make sure the battery was still charged up. Because the car was so hot inside, I decided to turn on the ac which I have never done before, and I noticed the oil light was out! I did this several times until I was sure the ac switch was turning off the oil pressure warning light. What's up with that? Any ideas would really be appreciated, really. Thanks guys.

Best;
Sammy

What kind of car is this?

My first guess would be that you have a bad ground and the AC circuit is finding a ground path through the oil pressure sender. Thus the additional current is driving the gauge up.

Like Steve says check grounds. Electricity takes the path of least resistance and corroded wiring can cause some screwy things to happen.

Fiat is part of Chrysler so I guess it is ok to talk about this here. I have an 02 Intrepid with a 2.7 V6. The oil light would come on at idle. It would go out when idle was slightly raised. When your ac is turned on does the idle go up a bit? That might be enough to turn the light off. I put a mechanical gage on my car and the pressure was zilch at idle and would go up with slight rise in RPM. Even though it only had a little over 100K on it I went from 10/30 to a 20/50 oil and pressure ran a bit higher. I had to replace a leaky water pump and while it was apart put a new oil pump on and now have 10 pounds at idle with 10/30.

some sebrings had oil problems

I was going to but a Sebring, and did some homework, and heard that some had an issue with the oil return pipe being too close to the exhaust, causing carbon gunky buildup, and the oil wouldn't return to the pan fast enough....don't wanna scare you, but you never know.....

I was going to but a Sebring, and did some homework, and heard that some had an issue with the oil return pipe being too close to the exhaust, causing carbon gunky buildup, and the oil wouldn't return to the pan fast enough....don't wanna scare you, but you never know.....
The 2.7 V6 is supposed to be the one with that problem. I was concerned with that problem but when I pulled the covers and pan was pleased to find clean shiny parts. I know Fiat bought Chrysler but was naming them alphabetically. That's the best excuse I can come up with. The thing I was asking Tookool was does the light go out when the idle is bumped up or the engine revved a bit. I removed the oil sending unit and installed a mechanical gage. Before the water pump and oil pump replacement the gage barely showed 5 pounds at idle cold. Now shows 10 at op temp at idle.

Back