Lancia Scorpion Thoughts

lanciahf

True Classic
Hi All,

I would like to get many peoples opinions on what I'm contemplating.
I have a Lancia Scorpion that has been modified badly from the previous owner. I only mention this so people do not get upset about not keeping the car stock.

With that in mind...

At the moment the car is engine less. The bumpers have been converted to the European reproductions and mostly everything has been stripped out so I venture to guess it weighs as much as a late model X1/9.

I picked up a 1.5 Injected X1/9 engine and trans and it got me thinking.... Since my Scorpion was originally intended to be the Fiat 850 replacement as the X1/8 but the X1/9 from Bertone won the proposal. The car I guess was always supposed to have the SOHC engine?

Wouldn't it be unique if I put a 1.5 X engine in it?

Pros.
Save over 100 lbs compared to the twin cam and trans.
Better Weight Distribution, the engine would not be leaning over the rear axles.
Turbo the little beast

Cons,
Need Longer Drive shafts

Feel free to comment, good or bad.
Thanks
Ralph

The car was originally designed...

Since my Scorpion was originally intended to be the Fiat 850 replacement as the X1/8 but the X1/9 from Bertone won the proposal. The car I guess was always supposed to have the SOHC engine?

Wouldn't it be unique if I put a 1.5 X engine in it?

To have a V6. There's plenty of room in there.

The chassis is very definitely heavier than an X1/9. I would not expect to get any more than 120-130hp with a reliable turbo setup. Performance will be lukewarm IMO.

If you want an Italian engine swap, go for the Alfa v6. It's been done before by the people on this forum.

If you don't care about the engine's country of origin, the possibilities are endless.

Pete

Has the original engine officially been declared dead? IIRC it was having oil pressure issues and it was at one shop and then at another shop.

If it is dead, I would think that another DOHC would be the path of least resistance, especially since you can get more power out of a DOHC than an SOHC with the equivalent mods (cam, more carburetion, etc).

Anything other than a DOHC is going to entail engine mount fabrication, and most likely full powertrain (engine and trans mounts plus axles plus shifter) fabrication.

If you are leaning to a swap situation, then I like Pete's suggestion of an Alfa V6 to keep it Italian, especially since it's been done by others which gives you a path to follow.

If staying Italian is not a big concern, then many more possibilities are on the table. Bigger modern fours (say 2.0 thru 2.5) from all three auto manufacturing continents (NA, EU, Asia) are now on the table, not to mention smaller V6s. Did you know the lowly Chevy Cobalt had a 4 cyl Ecotec version with a supercharger and then a turbocharger with upwards of 205HP and 260HP respectively?

Last edited:
I have owned a Lancia Monte Carlo-Scorpion-X1/20-Tipo 137

And can't imagine installing a 1500 SOHC engine would be a good option.

Since you asked for opinions, I would go for a warmed over 2 litre (performance parts are available from The Monte Hospital) or as suggested I'd swap in an Alfa V6 and gearbox from a 164.

Cheers,

Rob

Some Inspiration For Ya

Alfa V6 lookin' mighty tasty!:grin:

s-l1600.jpg

Hi Dan,

The Motor is still up at Fun Imported Toys, I hear its half together. The car itself is near Scranton. Its painted and I need to pick it up but there is a 69 spider in the Garage waiting to be finished.

As for the Alfa, I hear some frame rail cutting is required and its heaver than a twin cam.

Not looking for a power monster, besides I still think the X is better built.

The sound of the Busso V6 is intoxicating! If you can get your hands on one then that's the most faithful to the original intentions for the car.

The Lancia was the 1/8 which was originally supposed to have a V6 anyway. Then it became the X1/20.

I always wanted to throw in a VW VR6. It's sound is almost as intoxicating as a Busso. It's a compact and powerful engine....with a 15 degree V topped by a single cylinder head.

And it was Lancia who pioneered this engine design way back when so! I figure it fits from a historical perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back