New member introduction and car restoration.

The Real Question...

OK Brayden, the real question...is it as fast as it looks?

Thanks everyone, to answer a few questions...

On the deck lid I decided to only have the hinge points installed to save weight and use hood pins to keep it shut

IMG_20160607_202305781_zps4kx4gqro.jpg

Nice. I like that approach. I can't see clearly the style of hood pins you utilized, would you mind sharing specific info on that? Brand, sizing? I'd like to investigate that further for mine :)

Edit : Dzus fasteners? If so, the sizing you used would be perfect, since I'm using the same lid :)

Last edited:
Brayden, good to see you here and again, nice work on the car, you should be proud.

For everybody else's benefit, I had a chance to see this car last Friday. Its as nice in person as it looks in photos. Brayden did a great job. Matt was quick to note that Brayden did all of the work himself.

In an age where so many parents buy their kids very nice cars when they are of driving age its great to see a kid doing it this way.

I used 19mm tall dzuke fastener's on the deck lid and they work perfectly with the catch plate welded to the pinch weld. On the body used almost all done parts from another 85 and a 76. With the new motor it's a lot quicker I haven't had it on the dyno yet but when I get a chance I'll post the results.

Wow!

Congrats on your car!!

It definitely has a Prototipo-inspired feel to it, especially with the look of the riveted fender extensions.

I'll bet it runs like a champ, too!:headbang:

Well Brayden,
Everyone here will tell you that I am a real purest and really do not do anything to mine that would even be off period for an '86. Heck, I even reinstalled the original third brake light (one; to be legal and two to be period correct for shows).

That out of the way, you did a great job. Your X is really beautiful and the stance is very aggressive. My problem is that elementary school kids run up to my X and ask if it is a toy. I say, "sort of". Your X would scare them off. :)
For someone with your talents and in high school this is truly amazing. I wished you had a following of guys and gals your age that you could mentor and keep car restoration alive and moving forward in our society. With all of the technology that is available today the younger generation is forgetting how to do metal work and advance engine repair/performance.
Again, wonderful job and keep posting.
V/r, Mike
98dfbc83ddae50076197df287b7176ae.jpg

Nebraska Mike

Back