Rear suspension

ecohen2

True Classic
Quick question,

My 86 Bertone appears to squat slightly in the rear. I am guessing that the stock suspension was higher in the front to meet US bumper height. However, my rear looks like it has negative camber.

Is this normal? If not, what aftermarket suspension is the one of choice?

Thanks,
Ed

USA market cars have a different ride height in the rear as compared to UK and probably European cars. UK/Euro cars spec a taller rear strut assy.

There is a bit of negative camber in a set-to-stock specs rear suspension. If it looks and measures as excessive and out of spec, you have to think the possibilities for that would be:

1. Worn parts such as a strut-top mount http://www.fiatplus.com/SET-OF-FOUR-4337710.html, or fatigued springs

2. "Mushroomed" strut tower top plates

3. Physical damage from a collision

Assuming addressing the above does not adequately correct the issue, you can try camber bolts in the hub carrier to strut bottom joint.

The car actually has very few miles so it has been sitting still for years.. No accidents, so I am guessing this is just sagging. I will try to post some photos this weekend...

Thank you for the heads up on where and what to look for...

Slight negative camber is normal, about one degree negative is typical.

On level ground, an image with a ruler measurement from the ground to some point of reference would be useful and telling of the rear ride height. Do the same for the front so we can get an idea of overall ride height.

As for choices in suspension, it really depends on what your needs are. It can be a simple spring/damper (strut) upgrade to a completely revised suspension. Before any suspension modifications should be consider or done, replace all the bushings, check all ball joints and make sure everything in the suspension is in proper operating order.

Wheels and tires are equally important.

Bernice

Quick question,

My 86 Bertone appears to squat slightly in the rear. I am guessing that the stock suspension was higher in the front to meet US bumper height. However, my rear looks like it has negative camber.

Is this normal? If not, what aftermarket suspension is the one of choice?

Thanks,
Ed

A little bit more...

1. I found my new KYB Struts (which shouldn't, but did...) raised the rear end about 1/2 inch.

2. 5X SCCA Champ Steve Hoelscher said losing 40 pounds helped quite a bit too.

3. There are aftermarket Strut Tower Adjusters that mount to the top of the strut tower (after some modification, and hopefully some reinforcement) and will allow you to massage the Camber and Caster a great deal. Great for Racers at a substantial cost. Here is an example:

4. There are also some ADJUSTING bolts that replace ONE or BOTH mounting bolts of the struts to the hubs which allows you to adjust the Camber quite a bit... Great for street cars at a minimal cost. Note the ECCENTRIC on the bolt's shaft near the head. Here is an example:

Check our venders or take some of your own measurements to locate and install the adjusters you want. HTH...

Slight negative camber is normal, about one degree negative is typical.

On level ground, an image with a ruler measurement from the ground to some point of reference would be useful and telling of the rear ride height. Do the same for the front so we can get an idea of overall ride height.

Bernice

I will measure from the ground to the lip on the wheel-well on all four corners. I have the CORSA body kit, to finding a reference on the rear on front is hard... Pictures will be included...

Thanks everyone,
Ed

Back