An X1/9 just hit $30K at auction

Coupefan

True Classic
As much as I despise the location I gleened this information from (as you'll read), an X1/9 at the Silverstone auction in Birmingham, UK just went for over $30K. The snide remarks are why I don't like a certain individual, who just happens to run this publication.

2557bb42-355b-4094-8dd9-bee82fe8c24e.jpg

c3231b7e-9eb6-4967-a4cc-7fcce69ce908.jpg

Yeah

You know, I just looked at the print date of the magazine. It's a few months old. Must have left over stock used as freebies.

"You could have had a really nice Alfa Spider for same money. Does not compute". I won't type my true feelings about this comment!

Agree. When some stupid junk sells for $80,000 at auction, they say that at last the car is fetching the money it deserves. When an X sells for more than $5,000, they make harsh comments like these. All I can say is that this could be the beginning of the realization of our dream of seeing our little, but super legendary cars get the respect they have always deserved.

It is all a matter of perceived value, brand status and trophy ownership.

Jay Leno wrote a column in Autoweek about a specific pebble beach competitor who entered a restored trophy car. The owner knew zero about the car, knew what it was "worth". The judges deducted points due to the clock not working. In protest, the owner told the judges if he can get it working can the points be given back. The judges agreed to this. Owner in a frantic-panic looked desperately for the guy who did the restoration. Hours passed, no hint of the guy who restored the car.. The judges return to find the clock still not working deducted the points and trophy car owner did not win.. Finally, trophy car owner found the guy who restored the car.. asked him why the clock was not working, his reply, "did you wind it up?"

Owner's reply, "no did not know the clock needed winding."

Got introduced to the owner of a speciality restoration shop in Italy, his shop is know for excellent work, including work for Ferrari. His greatest complaint is the fact most of these car owners know little if anything about their vintage ride, they know everything about what their vintage ride is worth.

Facts are, the classic car market is full of investor-spectulator type who care less about the car, the own these things for speculation and a place to "put their dough". The enablers are often magazines and moto-journalist as they have much to gain from this scam.

My long time litmus test for car folks is their view and opinion of the x1/9, what they have to say about the exxe tells a whole lot about where they are in the moto world.

Bernice

Last edited:
Beautifully stated, Bernice......!

...My long time litmus test for car folks is their view and opinion of the x1/9, what they have to say about the exxe tells a whole lot about where they are in the moto world.....

.....brief, and straight to the point!! :thumbsup:

cheers, Ian - NZ

I LOVE IT BERNICE! HA! Tommy Mastracchio here...

and I also play with all sorts of clocks... but not so much anymore as both of us are having some eye-sight issues and it isn't so much "fun" anymore.

Many of my co-workers back in the day knew this as well and would bring me their old family heirlooms to work on. I never charged them, and it was fun for me to restore them and actually work on them at my desk between phone calls. When they worked, and eventually they all did, it was like bringing something back to life!

One day a woman brings in an old Ansonia clock she has had for years and was actually quite old and valuable. She said she would wind up the clock and it would run for a day or two and then stop.

So I carefully dove into it and found it worked fairly well... and it did just as she said! So I pulled out the innards and set it up to work while I could watch it and next to another digital clock so I could tell if it was loosing time.

AFAIK it didn't loose time... but indeed stopped working after a day or so.

I turn it on its face after carefully removing the hands and pendulum and was inspecting things closely. Ansonia was PROUD of their work and their heritage an actually stamped their name, date of manufacture and the words, "One Day Wind" on the brass framework...

HA!

It is then I learned that the earliest clocks, of which many were called Kitchen Mantle Clocks... were placed on the fireplace hearth and not only were the WOMEN supposed to keep the "home-fires burning", they were also chartered to wind the clocks each day...

We both laughed for quite some time over all the trouble this clock caused us... For me it was a couple of days, for her it was for several decades where she and her family thought it was always broke!

HAHAHAHA!

An Alfa spider is no where near in the same league as an X1/9. Both cars execute their way on the tarmac in 2 very different ways. I do like the sr3 Spider but I wouldn't sell my 1/9 for one.

well said bern!!

it's not what a car is worth on the money side, it's how you love the car and the driving that makes it worth something. and there is no price tag for that.
I truly wish there were a way to turn back the clock and still have all the x's I bought and dissembled. pity. if someone came to me with 30k for either one of my x's, I'd laugh him off my property. and they're not pristine by any means, but they are going to be built for how I love to drive, not an investment. they have stocks and bonds for that.
Harley riders were always asked( myself included) why a Harley???
our response was "if I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand it anyway".
I just had an epiphany. I have been so negative about a Mazda or k20 conversion or any non-Italian engine, I didn't realize that this MY opinion and you should build what makes you happy and enjoy the ride you built.
my bad:wall:
mikemo90*aol.com

Back