V6

rachaeljf

True Classic
I have been corresponding with Mikemo regarding some engine side vents and he suggested posting some progress on my car. This is where we are at currently...

v 6 x

I am glad you followed up on my suggestion and posted some pics. not just to let the forum see what you are building, but also to get all those creative minds boiling with ideas
do send the Western Union freight # as soon as you get it.mikemo

WHOA is right... what a nice "fit"...

Soooo... I know this is kinda lame... but what is that second "back-up light" doing next to the standard light pod on the RR of the car?

Is it a MOT thing for a "fog light"?

Do keep us in the loop with MORE photos and congrats!

Once again, big props to Mikemo for your assistance with the engine vents! Would it be easier if I sent the money via PayPal to a nearby Xhead? Otherwise I will send the money asap.

Tony, yes with the widened rear panel I took the opportunity to integrate the UK required rear fog light into the clusters. They will either be tinted red or I will just use red LEDs. Some have converted one reversing light into a rear fog (indeed my Blob I has this done) but that is not strictly compliant with UK Constructuon and Use Regs as the rear fog is supposed to be a clear 100 mm away from the brake light. My extra rear lenses will be compliant.

Hey Rachel, you could send the money to MY...

Paypal account and I would be happy to forward it to Mike... less my 25% handling charge...

BTW, I have been HAMMERING Mike to set up an account as well as to post photos since he joined this site! I'm afraid he might be just TOO OLD to ever change!

(Maybe this will light a fire under him!)

Good guess for me... I thought that up as I was...

typing, thinking they might be a legal issue.

I think I would add another (lens or light) to the left side as well just to balance the look, whether you light it up or not. Great idea in any case!

Thinking a bit more... if you do and you can't use it as a DUAL fog light, why not wire it in as a 3rd back-up light? I'm sure you could always use the illumination and the "imbalance" of the lighting would only be while you were in reverse.

Lastly... Attached is a photo of my derriere and note the solid RED lenses all across. Technically illegal not to run back up lights... but I rather have MORE brake lights driving around here in LA-LA-LAND. I did it more for the LOOK that I LIKE primarily. Having clear, red, and amber colors, plus the license plate pods makes it look awfully BUSY back there, IMHO.

The directionals are earlier model stockers, the back-up lenses have been tinted red using CANDY APPLE RED (translucent) spray paint on the back side. I learned this trick many, many moons ago building model cars. Keep adding layers of paint until it closely matches the other lenses. Usually you can't go too far... but I found that Lacquer Thinner generally will not hurt this plastic and you can remove the paint if you do go too far. This is NOT true of polystyrene models though.

HA!

I have an extra lens each side so they are symmetrical. The two innermost will be rear fogs, the two original clear lenses will remain as reverse lights. I note the extra lens in the photo looks a bit wonky. This is because the original clear lens rim has to be relieved to sit over the lip of the new one. I think Nick mixed them up when trial fitting them!

Can anyone tell me what the point of the gusset/rear console deal is for in the second photo? Is that simply extra bracing to stiffen this guy up or some other reasoning. It looks pretty sweet.

Thanks

Oh... I see now, the left cluster is not installed...

Yeah... that plan to light two Fog Lights is a great idea. I've seen so many with just ONE usually hanging below the RR bumper and that, as you say, really looks WONKY!

Awesome that's pretty cool. I'm looking to add some meat to the cabin, so any of these ideas are going to be good info to think about. Thanks

As the happy owner of both an X1/9 and an Alfa 164s, I've wondered whether the Alfa V-6 would fit in an X -- now I know. Awesome work! Can't wait to read the driving report.

Back