headlights adjustment

htfx19

Herzel Frenkel
My headlights are pointing too high, I am getting angry flashing from oncoming cars.
Trying to adjust them I am having two problems:
1. what head size is that adjustment screw?
2. which way I need to turn it to lower my beam?
Thanks.

My headlights are pointing too high, I am getting angry flashing from oncoming cars.
Trying to adjust them I am having two problems:
1. what head size is that adjustment screw?
2. which way I need to turn it to lower my beam?
Thanks.

Pull your car up on a level surface with in two feet from a wall or a vertical smooth flat surface. Turn on your head lights on low beam. Then adjust the brightest spot on the wall so that it is the same height as the center of the head light lens. That should give you a pretty good adjustment. Also in doing this you will know witch way to turn the adjustment screws for up, down, right and left.

headlight adjust

8mm, a deep socket works. I've found it's easier to access when the lights are in the down position, so it's an iterative process to get right. Can't remember which way you turn to lower the beam, you can puzzle it out by referencing the direction the headlight frame moves. You might also want to try a flat surface at night two car lengths from a perpendicular wall.

8mm, or 5/16" nut driver works. I would adjust mine aimed at a wall at night. Actually, you want to aim the headlights with the brights on so the bright spot is straight ahead, then the lowbeam should be about right, but you can fine-tune it.

8mm, or 5/16" nut driver works. I would adjust mine aimed at a wall at night. Actually, you want to aim the headlights with the brights on so the bright spot is straight ahead, then the lowbeam should be about right, but you can fine-tune it.
The X19's lights are already close to the ground so I get all I can by adjusting on the low beam and fine tune from there. Either way will work. I move the right hand light over a fraction to the right to give a little more road side illumination. Those of you that drive on the wrong side of the road:) it would be the left headlight.

Thanks guys

It's past 10 PM over here, so I'll get to it tomorrow and will let you know how well it worked out.

I usually adjust the lights with them in the up/on position, and use a small 8mm spanner. Here in the UK, the MOT annual test are strict on headlamp alignment, and due to the up/down X1/9 arrangement, I usually take an 8mm spanner to the testing station so that when they declare the lamps out of alignment,I can wade in and use the testing stations alignment machine. Quick and precise. You can adjust the horizontal and vertical alignment, although I have only ever needed to alter the horizontal.

Cheers,

Mickey

So Mickey, if we get a Group Rate for shipping...

Do ya think you could arrange it so we can use your MOT Test Station's alignment machine?

I'll buy the Coffee and Donuts... or would Tea and Crumpets be more appropriate?

is it possible to adjust them with the pods up? I messed with mine a while back and already forgot the details just remember trying to turn the adjuster was a PITA,

is it possible to adjust them with the pods up? I messed with mine a while back and already forgot the details just remember trying to turn the adjuster was a PITA,
Yes. Reach through the access opening behind the pods with a nut driver for the up/down adjustment. Reach in with a wrench through the access port on the inboard side of the pod for the left/right adjustment.

Do ya think you could arrange it so we can use your MOT Test Station's alignment machine?

I'll buy the Coffee and Donuts... or would Tea and Crumpets be more appropriate?

I'm an MOT tester, so if you guys organise it, and bring Coffee,Donuts and a Challenger Hellcat with you, you can spend the whole day!

Sorry Tiff... Ya gotta be an Official MOT Station...

for this offer and have an Official Headlight Alignment Machine... (whatever the hell MOT means and whatever the hell a Headlight Machine looks like...)

MOT is the Ministry Of Transport test in the UK. It's the annual inspection where they check the car for safety of brakes, steering, suspension, lights, horn, wipers, emissions and structural integrity. It's a bitch!

The headlight alignment machine is not portable! See here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85Lm4kL8fhY

It's very accurate though, and the motorised X1/9 lamps do seem to need regular tweaking.

Regards,

Mickey

So Mickey, the guy in the video is the "Minister of...

Transport"?

I envisioned some guy dressed as a Beefeater with a Scepter or an Axe that blessed the car or sumthun'... kinda like this...

I really like this guy... HA!

On a serious note for a moment... I wish we had MOT inspections here maybe every 2 years or so as there are folks out there driving some real junk... I'm not concerned about their safety so much as I am concerned about the innocents they may injure or kill. Throw in some REAL proof of liability insurance as well or the car doesn't get registered... PERIOD.

Good chatting with ya... and I love the way folks have made ROCKET SCIENCE out of a fairly simple alignment! HA!

Last edited:
Accidents

I wander, guys, how many traffic accident are attributed to mechanical Failures ?

I am surprised the Republic to the South does not already require this... Some Eastern states do have similar testing. I remember having to take my car (dont remember what car or which state) when I was back East for my navy days. Must have been Virginia... they were very interested in lights, horns, wipers, brakes, but not so stringent on emissions... go figure.

As tight as CA is on emissions, one would think it would be a rather simple task to include a basic safety inspection. I agree I think it would take a lot of unsafe cars off the road. Where's Nader when you need him?

From the factory manual

if we are talking about the headlight adjustment, not the pod adjustment. You got me to thinking. It has been a while since I did an adjustment, so I have forgotten these screws, too.

Back