Ferrari Dino 206 246 Amazing video A must watch

Not sure about the 6's

But most if not all of the Ferrari V12's are a "flat plane crank" design. I think the are also known as a "180 degree crank". This gives the engine a completely distinctive sound, as opposed to a crank that has an evenly spaced crank throw pattern (like for example an American V8 that has throws sticking out at 0, 90, 180, 270 degrees).

Pete

But most if not all of the Ferrari V12's are a "flat plane crank" design. I think the are also known as a "180 degree crank".
Pete
I know Ferrari V8's use flat-plane crankshafts, but I don't think any of their V12's do. This is from a Testarossa parts catalog:

TR-90_002_zps36174581.jpg

I know the flat-12 in the Testarossa is a 180°V rather than a boxer. Perhaps that is what you are thinking of?

Last edited:
engine burble

their ITIALIAN silly!!
had a bizzarini(sp) that had the most awesome Italian coachwork. the owner of the shop started it up and it had the distinctive Ferrari burble.
once in the shop, popped the hood. hoping for some exotic v-12... Chevy small block!
back in the day you could buy a corvette, send it to Italy and they would put this body on the corvette chassis.
only thing that makes that Ferrari sound, well, besides the motor is how the exhaust is built and routed. Pontiac tried it on the 04 GTO,
close, but not quite the same.
mikemo

Maybe I am thinking of the 8's

I know Ferrari V8's use flat-plane crankshafts, but I don't think any of their V12's do. This is from a Testarossa parts catalog:

TR-90_002.jpg

I know the flat-12 in the Testarossa is a 180°V rather than a boxer. Perhaps that is what you are thinking of?

I was just sure the Ferrari V12's were flat plane cranks, but I might be wrong.

I was not mixing up flat plane cranks with "opposed" or "boxer" engine design, no. Just thought the V12's had flat plane cranks. You learn something every day...

Pete

When I was growing up in the 60's Italian cars were the end all in automobile design, plus the minor detail that they were known to go fast. In the mid 70's I got into miniatures and started making 1/12 scale arms and armor. I started researching armor and found that most of the early armor came from Germany and Italy. The Italian to me is some of the best looking armor. Some of the pieces I have seen must have had some influence on the Italian car designers because the helmets and joints look like they would test very well in a wind tunnel. It is more likely that they were given their sleek designs to deflect lances and swords. I don't think there was any Fiat armor back then but I wonder if any of it ever broke down mid joust.

Beautiful indeed! My favorite is still the Bertone...

Bodied 308GT4... Here's more video to enjoy:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA8poGGmPIU"]Vintage Behind the Wheel: 1975 Ferrari Dino 308 GT4 - YouTube[/ame]

Nuccio just added sharpness to Pininfarina's curves on the first 206 and 246 Dino's and came up with this... I believe to Bertone's were rarities in the Ferrari line... and most were concepts and very limited editions of others.

Here's some images for Ferrari/Bertones.

Great film!

That garage is about 12 miles from where I live, and I never even knew about it. There is another garage in Holmfirth where they service X1/9's. I need to go and see them soon so I might call in at Italia Autosport too.

Regards,

Mickey

Hey Mickey... Ya got me...

The way I VIEW this site with my browser options makes it appear you are responding to ME (with the 308 Video) instead of JJ and the 206/246 Video.

The Santo's shop is in Northridge California... about 20 miles from ME!

HA!

They are more related than different.

Origins of the "Dino" V6 appears to be a design by Vittiro Jano when he was a Ferrari, previously at Alfa Romeo. This same engine was used in the Lancia Stratos in 2 valve and 4 valve 4 cam variants.

The initial 206 was a problem motor, it was re-designed into the 2.4 which became famous.

This 2.4 liter motor was also used in the Fiat Dino.
http://www.drivecult.com/features/know-your-ferraris-the-dinos-and-their-fiat-built-cousins

Weak link in the Ferrari Dino is the gear box, it's shifter is fragile and prone to damage. This problem was corrected some what by Dallara for use in the Lancia Stratos. There have been Lancia Stratos gear boxes fitted into more than a few 246 Dino's to correct the problem gear box.

Bertone did a V8 version of the exxe, aka Ferrari Rainbow:
http://www.carstyling.ru/en/car/1976_ferrari_rainbow/

This was a one off sow car using the same Ferrari 308 engine and gear box.

Bernice

A one-off "sow" car??? Are you still sipping wine as you type...

or did you mean "sow" in that it will produce others... or "show", in that it may not have even run, but was a concept?

HA!

Hey... I LIKE "angular" and actually the Rainbow did have the "lines", maybe in a bit in excess... but it appeared that whoever was designing the front half wasn't talkin' to the guy doing the rear!

Good morning... I'll go get some coffee now.

Back