The rebuild has begun...

WildWilly

True Classic
Back in June, many on here helped quite a bit in helping to diagnose the problem with my new to me X. My lemon thread was long but I sure learned a lot. Basically, camshaft bolt came loose, timing went out, valves hit pistons, bang, bang and now we are rebuilding the motor. Lots more help since then as well, with a special callout to FiatFactory for all his help. This man is a genius! All the parts have arrived, the engine is out and the work has begun. You can check out my blog at the address below to see a detailed description of what has been going on, all the way back to the beginning in 1983 with the purchase of my first X. I hope you enjoy, I update it about once every 2 weeks as things progress.

www.diamondl.ca/fiatx19/

This will be fun to follow.

Similar to the project I have started some time ago (also with the help of SteveC)
Still not sure if I will go the 1500 route or stay with the 1300.

Wow, you have already a lot of parts for the job.
Hope all goes smoothly.
What is the compression rate you are aiming for?

compression

Steve C tells me I will be pushing 9.9:1 or 10:1. As for the engine, I'm really glad I stuck with the 1300. I know there are all sorts of reasons to move up to the 1500, but for me the original 1300 with 4-speed, was the way to go. This will be a very nice motor when finished, its a 1500 euro head and cam, so I'm ½ way to a 1500 anyway, but this little baby is going to sing for papa soon and I can't wait. As you know you can put all sorts of motors in the X, but for me the stock 1300 was the only way to go. Having said that, I would like to drive a K20 conversion, that must be an amazing car to drive. Since I'm not really able to do a lot of this work, it will cost a small fortune when its all done, but I've gotten over that part now, its only money:) Thanks for the kind words.... cheers....

Got your blog bookmarked.. enjoy the journey, I know you will enjoy the "destination"

For sure you will have a lot fun with the rev happy 1300.
It's the fun I have with my current mildly tuned 1300, that is making me not be in a hurry to finish the rebuild.

HAHAHA... I love your Dad's comments back in the day...

What does he say about your "new" one?

Seems you don't have too much luck with these cars... You might try changing churches and see if that helps!

HA!

Dad's Comments

My Dad was here for a visit about a month ago and just laughed when he saw the car. I told him he has to come visit again in the spring so I can take him for a ride. We had a grand chat about cars, he always liked cars and is fairly knowledgable about them, but could never afford to play with cars. Hopefully, he will get several rides in the Fiat. Take care...

HA... Cherish those moments...

My dad passed away in '86 and fought in WWII in the South Pacific.

He was a Mechanic, a Cop, a Sailor, an American, and actually born on the 4th of July! When he started his own Gas Station and Repair business in '64 or so, he would push back if a VW needed work stating he didn't know enough about them. He later felt distain for the Japanese cars coming in... much like I push back from all the imports from Viet Nam today. Unless you've "been there"... its hard to describe even when your sensibilities tell you otherwise. My Dad also became good friends with a Japanese Sailor in his later years... Its just a hard thing to get over initially.

Ahhhhh... but my REAL point being... My wife wanted a VW bug and in '72 I bought her a cute little '66 from a neighbor. Little did I know that everything I thought I knew about cars went out the window with this "bastard 1300" and everything else. Dad didn't have too much to say about it and that was a GOOD thing I thought...

One Christmas Eve I was fortunate to get off work at noon and started heading home. I had brought my wife's VW to work that day and before I had a chance to get on the freeway... the clutch went to the floor! Some how I nursed it to Dad's shop... Got 3 different cables from a parts house (would return two later that week) and then tried to replace it. I found the old cable did not actually BREAK, but "unwound" and seized in the sheath! I was devastated.

Dad came over... looked at the situation... and then took a drill motor... attached it to the cable end and and started turning and pulling at the same time. WHAA-LA! Out in 30 seconds... In with the new one and I was then able to sit in traffic for about 90 minutes for my 20 mile drive home!

He also mentioned a few times that Mussolini just teamed up with the wrong people and embarrassed his heritage... but several years later in '83, he came over rather excited and with a HUGE grin asked... "So where's the Fiat-ta?"

He was really excited about that (this) little Italian car and even proud that I owned one... Or rather it OWNED me... HA!

Good memories... Maybe your Dad might wanna lend a hand with yours as well. Cherish the moments!

Dads....

Tony, Thanks for sharing that story. Its great that we can have these common bonds between generations. Makes me wish I had a boy to share the X with, my girls really couldn't care less:( I understand where you're coming from on the linage of the cars and how its hard to forget. We've got a few veterans still living that attend our church. One was POW in Japan for 3 years. He never speaks of it, but hell will freeze over before he will buy/drive or even sit in a Japanese car. I totally understand that. Some terrible things have happened over the years and its good that we don't forget, especially this week. Remembrance Day in Canada and Veterans Day in the US, one of the most important days of the year.

As for my Dad, he did not serve in the WWII as he was too young and then later, he was too old. But at 86 he is doing well and we still chat about all sorts of things even though we live 3,000 miles apart. I'm really hoping he can visit again next year and we can go for a ride in the X. I can't remember if he ever rode in my first X, but it will be great to go for a ride in the new one. He's much more relaxed and laid back then he was 30 years, so I think now, the X will put a smile on his face. Cheers...

Back