Took HemmingsX in for annual inspection yesterday...

Kevin B (Asheville NC)

Administrator
4 kids (ok, between 18 and late 20's) working in the inspection station.

For pre-OBDII cars in NC, it is a safety and visual inspection.

Didn't check horn, hazards, turn signals, lights, or pretty much anything else.

BUT! All four did whip out their cell phones and start snapping pictures! :laugh:

Same Happens To Me

In Mass, I just need a "safety inspection", and the gas station I go to has an older Italian gent that always waves me in and reminisces about the cars he had in the old country. This last time he had the next car waiting in line lose patience and leave while he and I were talking. He always makes me an offer for the car. The only thing he checks on the car is the horn because he says it reminds him of a Ferrari he once owned (I have air trumpets). :italia:

I had a similar experience this Spring

I got my X inspected this Spring at my local favorite Firestone location. Really good bunch of younger guys working there. They looked at my X and promptly said they'd need "Dan" the classic car guy to inspect it.

For starters, they checked all the basic turn signals, brake lights, etc. They drove it around the parking lot. ...and then said they really didn't want to put it on the lift. They said the car looked well maintained and asked for my assurance that I'd gone thru the suspension bits. ...and then gave me my sticker.

HA! My story goes back to about '98 or so...

after my car was on hiatus for about 7 years.

It dropped out of the CA DMV system after being registered as "NON-OP" for so long... I had to have it re-inspected and smog-tested again to get my registration current.

When I pulled up they sent out a man in his 20's and he started looking the car over and then said he needed me to open the "hood"... pointing to the front. I said you mean the "trunk" and opened it for him...

He just stared and I said... the VIN plate was over on the right fender well and pointed it out to him... and then said there was one behind the battery, the LF windshield area and the left door jam.

He kinda scratched his head and then said I need to open the trunk in the back. So I did. Again he just stared, sighed, and then finally said... "I haveta see the engine."

I said OK, why didn't you just say so... and popped the engine cover.

He just sighed again and then said OK... and walked away.

Two weeks later I'm sent a card that says I haveta have it inspected AGAIN. Found out later that the "inspector" messed up the VIN when he wrote it down leaving out one digit. Thanks a lot!

Always sumthun'!

BTW... what is the Hemming's X? Photo please!

Had a guy go a little nuts looking at mine in the parking lot of coffee house today, then inside I overheard a kid explaining to his friend he saw "Berton" on it, I interrupted and told him it's a Fiat, blank stares. It's fun to drive around in something so "obscure" but I HAVE TO PUT IT AWAY!

You had YOUR car featured in Hemmings TWICE and...

1. You did not have the CORRECT air cleaner and filter installed... and also INCORRECT aftermarket wheels and tires...

2. You did not bother to VACUUM the interior, and...

3. You used some UGLY guy for a male model instead of something more "appropriate"!

GEEZ!

I think you should probably FINE yourself!

HA!

(Congratulations Kevin, quite an achievement!)

Back