New Member in Ridgecrest, CA

timster

Low Mileage
In the Southern California area, about 150 miles northeast of LA.

Anyhow, Sold my 71 F100 and looking for a car to have fun with, tinkering and driving. I have never had a X1/9, but a good friend had one in the early 80's. He got married and bought a mustang II and parked his Fiat. Asked him several times to sell it to me, but he was always going to fix it up. Then one day he sold it to someone else. It was pretty rough from sitting for several years and had a bad trans so probably just as well.

Anyhow, looking for a driver/project car hopefully in the area. If not, then maybe a good deal on something I can drive home. Prefer a 5 speed, a/c would be nice, and so would fuel injection but none of those would be deal breakers. Prefer to not mess with a roller or big project unless it was dirt cheap.

If you know of a car that might fit the bill, feel free to email or PM me.

Thanks.

Tim

Welcome.

The cars are out there. Keep looking. You never know when one will fall into your lap...mine did, twenty some years ago, and I'm still having a great time with her.

Welcome Tim!

Glad you are a part of the forum, this is the best place to be for X1/9's. Read through the archives and you'll get a pretty good feel of what the different model years had to offer. You will also begin to discern some things to watch out for when searching for a car: areas to check for cancerous rust; weak early five-speed shafts; DPO modifications; etc..

Here is my quick take on the model years (others will chime in with greater detail and corrections) -

74's were the first USA import date, 1300 cc and 4 speed, decent models are pretty rare and pretty expensive.

75–78's are also 1300 cc and 4 speeds but different slightly than the coveted 74s. Much more available.

79 – 80s are 1500 cc engines (carbureted) and five speeds. There are a bunch of these around.

81–87's are 1500 cc, fuel injected, and five speeds. The later years (Bertone imported, not FIAT) get pretty luxury oriented with electric windows and such. Lots of good opportunities here.

All of the years handle great and are a blast to drive!

I don't have a lead on a car for you, just wanted to welcome you.

I suspect you might get better visibility if this request were in the "For Sale/Wanted" section of the forum.

Maybe the moderators could look at moving this?

Glad you're here.

Thanks for the fast replies.

I will post a want add in the appropriate section for better visibility.

I have found the big parts supplier in Columbus, Ohio (Funny, I lived there years ago). Is there anyplace similar on the west coast or are they pretty much it for parts or if one had a problem they needed expert help with?

We also have a lot of stuff (tons of parts!) and know of some CLEAN cars for cheap if you are willing to look outside of SoCal. www.fiatrescue.com Been working on the little cars for over 40 years!

Send me an email or PM of some decent cars w/ pricing. As long as the car is in good enough condition to make the drive there is no reason it couldn't be from somewhere else.

Back