Electric Turbo Chargers... yes, I scoffed at it too...

Why not

With really strong magnets made from Neodymium and Samarium you can get a lot of power from a small electric motor. Since the periodic table is full and the next elements to be synthesized will add a new period, the 8th, it looks like some of those elements will actually be non radioactive. Who knows what properties are just around the corner. Strong magnets make strong motors.

Charlie

Energy to power the E-blower has to come from somewhere, not gonna be free.

The energy used to power a turbocharger comes from the HOT exhaust gasses cooling off and expanding. This expansion is what drives the turbine blades of the turbo which drives the compressor blades on the other side packing more fuel/air mixture into the engine. This is where some of the energy that would have been lost from the combustion process as heat can be recovered to do some useful work.

The otto cycle engine (internal combustion engines as a group) are basically a pump. The super charged or turbo charged engine is a two stage pump with the turbo or blower being stage one and "engine" being stage two.

In the case of the Lancia Intergrale S4 motor, it's three stage pump. Super charger being stage one, turbo charger being stag two and the "engine" being stage three.

E-intake blowers can work, the better way to apply this fix is to put the motor on the turbo shaft. This way it can be used to spin up or keep the turbine blades spun up at speed, this allows instant boost as required.

Super chargers or blowers are not a good deal as they require significant power to drive which increases fuel consumption. In the case of E-powered blower, that power will need to come from some where..

OK, idea , not a problem free or trade-off free idea or solution.

Bernice

Electric turbo

Spring of the this year my miata friends and wear talking about a kit that is available for the miata it uses high power battery's like 48 volt or something like that to run the Compressor and recharge themselves after each time it boosts the problem is after you boost a few times your just left with your normal engine power till it recharges so it's for maybe passing on the highway or Maybe some light to light action but that's about it . I think the kit cost like 1500/2000 K .

Same thing actually Rob, right? Aren't most Aussies...

descendants from criminals sent over from England and isolated on your continental "island" of sorts. The really bad ones they sent to New Zealand...

I'm sure glad most of us American's are descendants from simply ungrateful revolutionists that used to have no sense of fair-play, hid behind trees, and shot at Englishmen all lined up in Red Coats so we could easily pick them off...

(It seems now the tide has turned for us as well...)

Yeppers... Watch all 23 minutes to find out...

the real answer!

HA!

What fun though and Jeff Lutz is the man...

Wrong again, that man.......!

...... The really bad ones they sent to New Zealand...

Lissen here young feller, I'll have you know that ONLY people of high-standing, high intelligence, handsome appearance, fit and strong bodies, great reproductive :thumbsup: abilities, were "invited" (heh) to emigrate to New Zealand back in the day!!
All those oiks that didn't "cut the mustard" were bundled down into the bilges of those 'olde worlde' sailing ships, and heaved over the side of the ship when it called into Sydney, Oz, before it sailed on to NZ!
Because those reprobates were mainly illiterates, dustmen, common criminals, etc, they were expected to look after themselves in that sunburnt, dusty country!
Because of those early experiences, they were never able to come to grips with learning the basic rules of that gentleman's game of RUGBY.
Sadly, they have languished in that role of "only second best" ever since!!

cheers, Ian - NZ

I agree with Bernice on this, the energy to drive it has to come from somewhere. At least Turbos are using otherwise wasted energy.

(It seems now the tide has turned for us as well...)

Yes, at least the Brits have kept religion out of politics.

Seems the yanks have a long way to go in terms of having a democracy not governed by the "ruling class" :(

At this point, I'd rather be surrounded by decendants of the former penal colony, than a large percentage of the current American population. I certainly didn't feel that way (about the US) 34 years ago when I moved here.

Because of those early experiences, they were never able to come to grips with learning the basic rules of that gentleman's game of RUGBY.
Sadly, they have languished in that role of "only second best" ever since!!

Can't argue with ya there Lawsa. :cry:

OK, the fun is over... and Hussein, ya gotta move outta...

NEW YORK!

HA!

I wouldn't recommend LA either... But Jupiter or one of its moons looks pretty damn peaceful from here!

Some of the energy to run an electric compressor can come from regeneration on deceleration and braking. That is energy that is lost with a traditional turbo. Also, power to run the compressor can be stored for later use so all the power to run it does not have to come from the engine at the moment it needs it. You could put full power to the compressor with out taking anything from the engine as long as the battery state of charge is high enough.

Have a look at the current F1 turbo engines. They are running something pretty close to what was described.

Bernice

Some of the energy to run an electric compressor can come from regeneration on deceleration and braking. That is energy that is lost with a traditional turbo. Also, power to run the compressor can be stored for later use so all the power to run it does not have to come from the engine at the moment it needs it. You could put full power to the compressor with out taking anything from the engine as long as the battery state of charge is high enough.

Back