Getting the itch (New England edition)

Rooster

piccole ma cattive
March is here and the snow is starting to melt ever so slightly. I find myself, and every year at about this time, getting the "itch" to start working on the X(s). A few of my projects include, but not limited to:

1. Budget engine built ver 2.0 for the Race X. This includes new BV head and dual DCOE's. As well as 14:1 compression pistons.

2. Electrical sort out and new gauges for the Race X. My original gauges didnt even survive one race season. The tach is inop, voltmeter is all wonky. Will undoubtedly just get more traditional gauges.

3. Race X bodywork. Need to tidy things up a bit. Plus I'm going to try my hand at Fiberglas molds for some fancy bits.

4. Hopefully get some time (and chassis back) for the Bumble Bee. Hit a snag on that and I hope we can come to some sort of agreement.

The list is much longer, but dont want to bore you all!

Anybody else getting the itch..?

yep...

and next Wednesday is supposed to be in the 50's! I'm going to dig my X out and start some work too.

Yes, I've got the itch ...

... It's from frost-bite! Ha!
Next Wednesday is supposed to be the first day in over 3 months that the temp goes above freezing. :excited:
I've got 2 X1/9's to deal with. One a daily driver and 1 a parts chassis for Mac-X. I need to get pieces cut
from it early so I can convince my body guy to finish up the project. I've had it with waiting. (!)

The bad part is that I'll be in Roanoke, VA all next week. :cry:

Big Time Spring Fever!

I have been chipping away at my car all winter and as a result I have several "projects" open. I have gutted the whole exhaust bay and intend to re-insulate and install a two tip system. I have all the parts, just need time.
I have been struggling with a radiator fan that did not work all last summer and was getting frustrated when yesterday, I finally found the problem: a dirty/corroded connector on the fan. YEAH!
I have a set of air horns that used to reside in the left motor pod, but I finally installed B Brown's headlight mod and had to move them behind the grill. Brackets are in the final stage as well as hose routing.
I installed a new radio last summer and I do not like the fit. I want to take the center dash apart so the radio fits flush. There seems to be a big metal clip in the way now.
I am shooting for a mid-May completion so I can get a full summer's enjoyment this year, last year I spent most of the summer replacing the head gasket.

Come on sun!!

well

dug the car out enough to take all the weight of the snow and ice off it. (saw a photo of a collasped roof in Dorchester MA and just freaked about body panels and windshield).

Then decided to start the thing up. I "knew" the battery had to be dead and I'd fail. It started right up on first try...pretty shocking to me.

I also replaced the vinyl Allison's Automotive shift knob with the exact same style, but in leather, from Mark. I wasn't happy with the vinyl knobs, the vinyl "sheet" on the outside kept fraying and basically disintegrating. I was very happy Mark came out with these new leather ones, looks very well built.

abarthshiftknob.jpg

Bah, just realized I was misleading here. Mark does not make an exact copy of this above knob in leather. he instead makes the leather one below. I removed the red Fiat logo from the knob below, then super glued in my two tone Abarth knob, they are an exact match on size. Sorry for any confusion.

leather_shift_knob_fiat.jpg

Cabin Fever

We have had over 9 feet of snow in southern New England this year, and I think everyone wants warm Spring weather even more than usual. My efforts through the winter have been expanding my garage space. I am planning a "garage warming" party for New England X1/9 guys in around the end of the month. Some beer and BBQ, and some help from friends in prepping my '74 X1/9 for paint. Anyone interested?

Paul

the itch

oh man, I feel bad being in north Cali and having pretty excellent weather and still sitting on my butt.
I have two to finish and one to be dissembled to help forum members.
but I piss and moan that there isn't enough space to walk around the two projects on hand.....
oh crap......
it's 70 degrees outside and I gotta get this stuff DONE!! :dance2:
mikemo

Interested, BUT

Don't ask me to bring a shovel !! :grin:
Maybe a good time for some new show and tell from the peanut gallery. :pimp:

Back