Mystery Seat "Clunk:???

Vincenzo7

True Classic
Hey has anyone experienced this?

My '84 drivers seat seems to have a loose something in the backrest , when I make a turn there is a distinct "Clunk" that I can feel in the back of the seat , at one point I thought it might have been the fuel sloshing from side to side , but it is a clunk not a slosh , if that makes any sense .Happens when I make a left or a right turn something going back and forth
Feels like a metal upright . Has anyone taken these late model seats apart ?
I'm planning on bringing it to the trimmer that fixed and stitched the seats when I first got the car
just curious if anyone else had this issue

as always thanks

Sure it is in the seat? How about the spare tire area. This happened on my 87 X1/9 with a loose piece of metal.

Mystery Seat Clunk?

Hmmm. I've had a mystery seat "clunk" but I traced mine to a very loose seat rail mounting bolt. It was allowing the seat to lift slightly under turning and then return with a clunk.

Might check to make sure all your mounting bolts are tight. On miine, the front ones are a b***ch to get at!

Ed

Hmmm. I've had a mystery seat "clunk" but I traced mine to a very loose seat rail mounting bolt. It was allowing the seat to lift slightly under turning and then return with a clunk.

Might check to make sure all your mounting bolts are tight. On miine, the front ones are a b***ch to get at!

Ed
Rodger on that last bit Colltech. The fronts were loose on mine and made noise. If you have the seat all the way back to max the back of the seat can rub on the section above the gas tank. Check the seat belt retractor for looseness.

Thanks all -

definitely not the spare that is secure ,as is the seatbelt retractor, Im in the process of trying to remove the seat , those front bolts are a pain to access, :eyepop:

definitely not the spare that is secure ,as is the seatbelt retractor, Im in the process of trying to remove the seat , those front bolts are a pain to access, :eyepop:

Keep in mind that you do not need to remove the front two bolts, loosening them is enough. The rears (easy to access) need tom come out entirely. See this post for pictures.

More info...

So, I've had my seats recovered, and I even did the cleaning of the frames before taking them back to the upholsterers. I can tell you there is NOTHING internal to the seat that can cause a clunk... I believe there is something else loose (I feel a clunk too, but only sometimes, and its slight. I suspect it may be the 2nd license plate which is standing behind the seat as I don't have a place to mount one on front but Oregon persists in telling me I need two plates). Before you go tearing apart your seats, make sure the brackets are all tight, both the ones that secure the top to the bottom and the bottom to the car. And make sure there is nothing else that can slide around in the car... tools, a coffee cup you forgot, etc...

WOW... I bet I know just HOW Bjorn knows this...

P1000233.jpg

“A lesson learned is always preceded by a mistake” - Donald J. Ptacnik, 2012

Don is my cribmate since 1953.

And Brett... remember Vince said... "I'm planning on bringing it to the trimmer that fixed and stitched the seats when I first got the car..."

I think that is where I would first look as well, even though I too agree with everything you said!

Thanks again

will work on that tomorrow , when the weather heats up to -7
stop gloating Tony ....:cool:

I know there is nothing behind the seats no front plate as that is on the wall in the garage NY insists on two plates as well - just think its a stupid law

+1

Yep, they have that "keyhole" shape!!!!

I guess it's not just the Germans that are clever!:):italia:

What also helps is if you have a newer set of "ball end" hex head wenches, they allow up to 30 degrees of angle.

spin_prod_620100701

Rear botls -easy access???

so I loosened the front bolts on my '84 ,rails are loose I pushed seat all the way forward and can't even see the rear bolts - please tell me there is something I'm missing :nuts:

Rear bolts???

Maybe you are missing rear bolts? Show us a picture of what you are looking at.

Well... ya gotta think about how much revenue...

front plates bring in for your city... especially when those Red-Light Cameras capture the car, the plate, and yur ugly face all in one shot!

HA!

Why not mount it in a COOL place so that COOL air can get through to the radiator? My experience has shown me that the plate mounted in the stock location will cause air to BYPASS the radiator at speeds over 65mph and raise the temp about 10 or 15 degrees. Not a good thing in LA-LA-LAND...

Make a custom mount to the LEFT or RIGHT hand side, or purchase one of those illegal electrical plate holders that allows you to make the plate disappear! Some even have remotes! HA!

The four seat track/rail fasteners are round headed internal hex (aka 'allen head") cap screws (with an unthreaded "point" of sorts) that go thru the seat track/rails and thread into captive nuts welded to reinforcing ribs that are welded to the under-seat floor pan. They are thru and thru, meaning the bolts can be seen protruding thru the floor pan from under the car.

If from under the car you can see empty spots where it looks like a bolt should be going thru, then that's where there should be bolts to secure the rear end of each seat track/rail.

I can acces the front bolts ...

see attached - the front bolts are accessible , just cant see the rears
the second pic is with the seat pushed all the way forward , I can barley see the metal track the runner sit in -is there a way to push the seat forward more???
I remember we had a bit of an issue re-installing the seats last year

TWO THINGS... possibilities actually as I don't...

really know...

1. Some seats on SOME cars have their track rails fitted into SLOTS at one end and BOLTED down on the other...

2. If the stupid *#^$&*#* "return spring" was reinstalled, it may be have its COILS BOUND and will collapse no further, not allowing the seat to go any further forward. The damn thing needs to be unhooked using a small child and a bent coathanger or attempted to be cut and thrown away, FIRST. Then the seat should slide forward some more...

HTH... HTW!

2. If the stupid *#^$&*#* "return spring" was reinstalled, it may be have its COILS BOUND and will collapse no further, not allowing the seat to go any further forward.

It's an '84 so no provision for a return spring. Must be binding on something else.

Seatbelt bolts on inside tunnel

Every one of my cars that I've taken the seats out of has required much "ramming" to get past the seat belt receptacle side, usually with repositioning of same. The seats go pretty far forward, but I always hit a hella lot of resistance and even a clunk after only going forward 2-3 inches. Take running shoves at it and shove harder, it'll go way farther forward and then you'll see the rear bolts

Back