upside down avatar...

engelme

True Classic
Hey guys. I'm trying to upload a picture for my avatar, but no matter what I do, the picture is inserted upside down. I've gone so far as to create versions of the picture that are right side up or upside down, yet when either is inserted, the picture appears upside down. Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions. I'd like to have a picture of my car next to my name just like so many of you but can't figure it out. I use a mac, and the picture is a jpeg. Thanks in advance.

nope….

I emailed the picture to myself from my iPhone as an attachment, opened the picture into Preview directly from that email message (by double clicking the attachment) and then exported a copy of the picture to my mac, saving it on the desktop. I then opened the xweb forum, went to my user profile and clicked on "edit avatar". This brought up the dialog box that allows you to upload a picture for your avatar. When the picture is right side up and uploaded, the picture appears upside down. Since preview allows you to rotate a picture, I then did a 180 degree rotate and saved a copy (ie., the picture appears upside down in preview). When this picture is uploaded, it to appears upside down. quite the conundrum. Of note, the reason I'm doing this via an emailed version of the picture from my phone is because I tried to edit the avatar on the website from my phone using the picture from the camera roll of the photo app….same result. suggestions appreciated. Cheers.

Me too, Tom... HAHAHA!

I don't know much about your problem but I would try saving your original photo in different formats, and rotate them 180 degrees as well... then see what happens.

If that doesn't work, then I would haveta assume either the camera or you, (or possibly both) are possessed!

I had this too once a long time ago, I'm no computer scientist but I think the code on picture orientation isn't getting changed by the software you're using just for the software itself. It's been a long time but I seem to remember having to use some odd picture editing software, try to upload it to some web driven software to edit to there?
http://apps.pixlr.com/editor/

It's because Apple doesn't actually rotate the picture. They set an "orientation" flag instead. Unfortunately most PC software ignores it. It's a real pain getting pictures in Outlook taken on an iPhone, they are typically displayed wrong.

When you take pics with an iPhone...

...always hold it so that the volume buttons face down.
This is counter intuitive, but if you do that, you never have a problem.

This is much more important when taking video, because there is almost no way to rotate an iPhone video on your PC without expensive software.

BUT, if you upload it to Youtube, Youtube is smart enough to rotate it!

Back