brake caliper hardware - proper factory finish?

myronx19

True Classic
Hi all,

I'm doing a major brake overhaul on my '82 - quick question, what was the finish on the brake caliper bracket?

If I recall correctly, they were painted black (or e-coated?) - or were they yellow zinc or cadmium? Mine are aluminum colour right now, but I want to bring them back to what they looked like when it left the factory.

Thanks!

The calipers were always raw aluminum. The carriers were for a brief moment in time black (based on film thickness and ambient humidity levels). The springs and related secondary hardware yellow cadmium plated. The slipper blocks I am unsure of the OE finish.

I overhauled on Enzo-Mac's brakes a few years back...

and I painted the brackets BLACK to protect them, and the aluminum calipers with Duplicolor's "GRABBER GREEN", from a late 60's Mopar. (I "grabbed" this can on sale some time before and was just looking for something to paint with it!)

HA!

They really POP!

Almost look "factory" too!

The calipers were always raw aluminum. The carriers were for a brief moment in time black (based on film thickness and ambient humidity levels). The springs and related secondary hardware yellow cadmium plated. The slipper blocks I am unsure of the OE finish.

Early cars had steel/aluminum calipers, but I have the late style on mine of course. Mine look brand new, but need to be rebuilt - they leak!. I think the springs are stainless - at least mine are bright shiny silver.

I suspect the caliper brackets were e-coated, but I'll just paint 'em black.

Thanks!

Hey... WATCH IT, FELLA! I saw a youngster today...

driving some kinda Japanese blob of a car that was all BLACK with BLACK wheels and GRABBER GREEN calipers shining through the spokes.

Hmmmm... It could been an ALIEN GREEN though... but hey... just goes ta show ya I'm in tune with the kids these days.

Like FAR OUT, man...

and I painted the brackets BLACK to protect them, and the aluminum calipers with Duplicolor's "GRABBER GREEN", from a late 60's Mopar. (I "grabbed" this can on sale some time before and was just looking for something to paint with it!)

HA!

They really POP!

Almost look "factory" too!

My friend painted his X1/9 calipers and brackets bright neon orange! He did change it back to the original..

I have a NOS set of Brembo rotors, and well.. I want to treat those to some corrosion protection, keeps the rusties off the wheels too.. paint would work, but I think I may get them clear zinc coated..

:)

Back