'74 values

62gto

True Classic
What do you guys and gals think a good running 1974 is worth. The car i at least a solid 10 footer with sorted fuel system. I recently bought a non-running, garage find, 57000 original mile, rust free California 1977. I am trying to decide if I have the time and space for a full rotisserie restoration of my '74 or not. I have too many cars at the moment, but have always had a soft spot for the '74 as that was the year of my first x at age 18.

When I bought the 77 it was to be a parts car until I saw it, found out about its origins and spoke to the 2nd owner. He installed 1500 and once I got it running the power was rather impressive.

Just My Best Guess...

Of course there are a lot of assumptions, but for a 74 with 60-80K miles, original drive train and restored as well as it could reasonably be, I would estimate a value of about 6 to 8K. This in not a car that has been treated to a full "rotisserie" resto, but a good driver with no obvious faults.

As of now, you would never recover the cost of a full restoration on these cars (you probably would not recover the cost of a good paint job), but the '74 probably has the best return on investment if your aim is to auction it off.

Not to mention...

In CA you don't have to have a smog test for pre 75. I think that alone might make it a little more valuable for CA folks.

Just trying to make up my mind. I bought the car for probably too much money 'cause I wanted a '74. I am beginning to think that someone with more paint skills than I should own this car. By the way the odometer shows just shy of 57000 miles with an immaculate interior. The car looks nice I just dont know whats underneath the paint.

What do you guys and gals think a good running 1974 is worth.

A well-rusted driver went for just under 2k on ebay a month ago: http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/26487/

As you might infer from my sig... I have a soft spot for the '74 myself. It's the lightest, the bumpers don't look like an orthodontist was consulted in the design, the manual choke is neat and works better than the later water choke, it's smog-exempt in California, the 4-2 exhaust is desirable and getting very hard to find.

Last edited by a moderator:
Others probably have a better sense of this then me but a relatively low mileage, nice interior nearly rust free '74 should be worth 6-7K as it sits, maybe 9-10 "restored", just my gut.

I love the '74.. it's gorgeous, the bumpers look great and it's just so clean and pure..

If I could, I'd love an all original '74 in lime green just like the one in the link toolbar - maybe one day.. even with steel wheels and 145R13's!!

Don't try to make sense out of the money thing, if you can afford it - enjoy doing some work, and look forward to driving it - then GO FOR IT!!

The first for sale X I went to see was a '74, I should have bought it!

This could almost be my story... I recall that green X on the Road and Track Mag cover might as well been a Penthouse Mag to me the way I oogled it.

I've always wanted a '74 for all the reasons listed above, both now and when I was a teenager. In 1981, I traded a 1980 Plymouth Champ (not paid off and was heading back to school) for a 1976 X1/9 that I drove my first two years of college.

Fast forward to my daughter being in college at ASU, and before I made a trip out to visit her I glanced in the Phoenix craigslist and saw a nice looking '78. After a little haggling and repair at my daughters place, I drove it home.

Then not 6 months later, a '74 came up for sale on ebay (jaan's green X), After a little bit of haggling, jaan changed his mind and decided he wanted to keep his '74 a bit longer. Thats when the '74 I now have showed up for sale here on xweb. And 2.5 hours later we made a deal and I drove up to norcal with my son and brought my blue '74 home.

And the '78 is for sale.

So whats the moral of this story?
He with wrong year X will make it right eventually. :italia:

Last edited:

my original 74 was a 44000 mile red car. I bought it at age eighteen. I promptly installed an ansa header and exhaust. I kept it for 11 years until my son was born and I needed a more practical car. Fast forward 25 years and many, many cars later I decided to replace it with another 74. I found one on ebay and purchased it. I always wanted another red one and this car is orange. I think that I would need to media blast it and then pray that it is in decent shape underneath. I don;t know if I have the time for another such project right now.

Throw money at your 74

So what if you spend more than you can sell it for ...at this time... My understanding is your intention isn't to sell ,but to enjoy. Plus, you can still point at a physical object in an answer to where your money went. That's better than most of the people can do who would tell you not to. My 74 is FAR too valuable to me than the current rates of monetary value :)

Back