Restoration Inspiration

The latest project at Midwest-Bayless. It's still got a long way to go, but it's starting to look like a cool car now.

To keep up with the reality shows on TV, I won't tell you how much time it's really taken to get this far, will generally over-simplify the effort, and won't provide any additional details.

For the time being..... lol

But if this doesn't help you get excited about your own, more manageable project, I don't know what will. :)

Enjoy.

How the project started: a stock 1988 X1/9:

dallara-start.jpg

...Then a while later:

dallara-fenderwork.jpg

...Then, some time after that:

dallara-painted.jpg

And even more lunar cycles until today:

rodin-u.jpg

rodin-f.jpg

rodin-c.jpg

-M

I'm guessing this is the car the interior I've been hearing about will go into?
Same guy did my seats:

Inpiration?

Matt,

That's AMAZING looking paint and bodywork. However, you mis-advertised your post - that's not inspiring - its depressing to all us hackers trying to restore our own cars!

Well done!

Ed

DIBS! I'll give ya $10K for that car right now~!

HA!

I'm unsure who said the following... but seeing that '88 brought these TWO thoughts to my mind:

1. Always start a project with the best raw materials you can find and afford. That '88 looked awfully good for a true restoration, not a modification...

2. I think it was Boyd Coddington that said... "Anyone can RESTORE a car... it takes a real man to CUT ONE UP." Congrats!

Absolutely beautiful work from the Body & Paint department... So what's going in it? I think a SUPERCHARGED K-20 would be appropriate, or maybe one of those 2015, 1000cc, Turboharged 300HP, H2R Kawasaki engines with a 6 Speed Sequential trans...

Super light and ya just gotta park in a way that ya don't haveta back up...

Beautiful

I can hear the MWB team: "This car turned out beautiful. Let's take it out in the snow!!" :)

Paint...

The color is the original metallic Mica Blue as featured on the 87/88 cars.

It was shot over black primer which darkens it a lot, and then good quality clear.

The clear coat materials cost more than all the other paint materials combined. :eyepop:

The effect is almost a color shifting paint, which looks black or dark navy blue under muted light, but in bright sunlight the metallic pops out and shows as vibrant sapphire.

-M

I'll bet that's just astonishing in person!:eyepop::eyepop:

Regarding the clear, funny, that's the second time I've heard that in the last three days, that the best clears cost waaaaay more than the rest of the materials combined.

Awesome

Not digging the boy racer spoiler though. Even supercars do better with some understatement.

If you are making a replica/tribute, you need the spoiler

icsunonove_sketch.jpg

I think it looks really cool, but in general I agree with you Larry. It is an over the top item, but then again it was on the original. I don't hate it in any way, maybe it just doesn't fit my personality. Kinda like the Prototipo snorkel. Love it or hate it, it belongs on a true replica/tribute IMHO.

Of course, if I magically win the lottery and I am building the X of my dreams... who knows, I might say "F$#* yeah, I want the spoiler." :devil:

Back