Coming home

dontilgon

True Classic
I sold my 87X back in 2011 with great regret that we all have when doing so. I've been in touch with the owner on and off since. We talked cars for hours. He loved the car. I tried reaching out to him about 3 months ago with neg-results. I get a phone call last week from his sister informing me that he passed. Sad only 56. I knew he was sick but never new the severity of it. He always sounded happy and up lifting over the phone. She stated that her brother always spoke highly of me and felt before listing the car for sale, she would give me the opportunity to by it back. Well its bitter sweet but I'm mailing the check out today. A little nervous about buying it unseen but this is how I originally bought the car and I couldn't of asked for a better car. Its located in PA and I'm in the process of looking for a shipper. Its about seven hours one way for me. I would love to pick her up myself but time wont allow me. So wish me luck. Here's a pic of me taken delivery of her the first time.
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg200/1989bat/1987 BERTONE X19/004-2.jpg
I will keep you posted of this turns out. I believe I had under 40,000 miles when I sold the car.

I knew it ...

Next time you sell, be sure to sell it closer to home. That way, you can drive her back home. :nod: :wink2:
Too bad about the former owner too. 56 is way too young. 80 is too young! ...
Glad to see you getting your car back. Hope we can meet up one of these days. Not sure what side
of NY you're at. I'm in southern NH.

Good luck and let's hope the owner - may he rest in peace, took care of it as much as you did/would.

56? wow - that is just too young. A good reason (like I need one) to live life to its fullest!

Another way to look at it - You lent your car out with a huge deposit to a man for his enjoyment in his last days.

A very noble gesture...

Another way to look at it - You lent your car out with a huge deposit to a man for his enjoyment in his last days.

A very noble gesture...

Man I was so thinking the same exact thing. So In my mind, that's why I didn't ask any conditions question. It served a great purpose and I(we) will bring it back to where it was when I owned her.

THIS IS A WONDERFUL STORY that you get to play a BIG part in...

Not many get to share their car like this... you are indeed blessed.

And whatever the PRICE, and whatever the CONDITION... the PRIVILEGE of being a part of this is well worth the "admission".

This reminds me of two other stories as well.

1. Rudy Mortero for some [stupid] reason sells his well sorted Medium Blue Metallic 80-something X to a [wife-beater] guy in Vegas for some good money. About three years later he buys it back for pennies on the dollar and it has been abused as well. But for the money, Rudy figures he had it stored and is now in the process of refreshing the car with paint and interior and still comes out way ahead. I believe this is the 4th X1/9 he has owned, and now this one TWICE. Hopefully he has learned his lesson... as these "opportunities" usually only happen once.

Here he is in Colorado (2005?) somewhere and was stopped by the local "constable" for missing tags. Rudy shows him the paperwork and then asks the cop to take a picture for him. I always thought a "selfie" with the cop and cruiser in the picture woulda been better...

Work in progress in 2006...

Then sold and here is in 2013, a work in progress again. With him is his beautiful wife Tere...

2. When I was 18 I started building my T-Bucket Roadster from scraps and from scratch... as there were no kits back then. 19 years later I sold it was still not complete as the Navy, the wife, the 3 kids, the homes, college, work, etc. etc. got in the way. The man I sold it to was retiring and always wanted one... he took another 11 years to finish it and always kept me in the loop. He died 3 years later and I was offered the car, but didn't have the money, the interest, or room for it. Three years ago I find it at a Museum in El Segundo featured with other FAMOUS Hot Rods from the Hot Rod Magazine collection. Five months later I'm offered the car, and friends and family URGE me to just pay the asking price as this kinda thing just NEVER happens! Well, after another few months of negotiation, it came "home, again". I paid a price... but it benefited us both parties and is kinda like all the stuff YOU went through and are going through now... It is definitely WORTH IT and more.

My cribmate Don and I in about 1966, North Hollywood CA...

The day I sold it to Christy Potter, from Saugus (Santa Clarita) CA to Manhattan Beach CA...

Found here at the Automobile Driving Museum, El Segundo CA

Deja vu'... My son took these shots and I could not believe how close he got them to the ones back in '66... and he hadn't seen those!

23_T_2.jpg

My son Joe and his middle daughter Paige, back in Santa Clarita CA...

The T-Bucket still needs some refining but so far its the "E-Ticket" ride whenever anyone visits!

Truth be told

Not many get to share their car like this... you are indeed blessed.

I wish I played more of a part in having him enjoy this car in his final years.truth be told was that I sold him the car because I purchase a 92 ferrari 512tr and was liquidating. What I did do was sold him a car that was 100% honest and loved.
Some of you guy and gals tried to talk me out of selling it and to keep it because the ferrari was not as practical as my x MAN I SHOULD OF LISTEN::mallet:
This was a strange sale I tell ya. He purchased the car blind and paid me 3 months before he made arrangements to have the car picked. In those 3 months I cAme pretty close to giving him the money back but I knew that was not rite thing to do and it didn't hurt having a ferrari part in the same garage.
I missed this community so much that I almost left the Ferrari community. I believe no forum is as honest and tight at this one. I mean people offeed to drive 2 hours to help me work on x and free parts if needed. Just amazing
Well payment went out priority mail today so I'm hoping pick up will be on thurs

To be continue

Last edited:
Update 1

So the purchase is completed:)Next phase is getting the car to me. I'm hopefully taking delivery mid next week. I working with a shipper that I previously used. Anyone know the Length and with of the car?

Update 2

Car is loaded and will make its way to ny in the morning. Unfortunatey I don't think I will be home when the car is delivered but I'll be sure to take some pics of the car when I get home from work.:)

Car is loaded and will make its way to ny in the morning. Unfortunatey I don't think I will be home when the car is delivered but I'll be sure to take some pics of the car when I get home from work.:)

Looking forward to the pics :nod:

She's home

my wife took some pics from inside while unloading.Words can't express how happy and pleased I
am. Going to go through the car tomorrow.

So far this is what I have to report
38400 miles
Rear corner trunk spoiler fin is cracked
Rpm gauge don't working correctly(any ideas where to start)

Need a complete air filter box(anyone have one for sale)
More pic tomorrow
Drove it for 5 miles and it felt just like it did when I owned it.

Last edited:
You're a lucky man!

You got your ride back in (at least) 1 solid piece.

Regarding the tacho, take a pic. There's a 100 percent chance I'll have one for ya.

And I'm pretty sure I have a stock FI air cleaner if you need - how's $20 plus shipping sound?

I've got one,

But the Faceplate on yours looks better than the one I have. (mine is faded)
I can send you one but (if it were me) I'd swap the face plates.
If you want, I can send it to you for the postage. PM me your addy and I'll take care of it.

Before swapping parts I would look into why the tach isn't working. It may be as simple as a wire having been pulled off.

That said, looks great. We are very happy for you. Nice having the original rims along with the four spoke Abarths.

Sharp car!

Back