My First Autocross

Dennisrh

True Classic
Went to my first autocross today. It went well. I was in the novice class and placed 17 out of 27 with my PAX rating. Not quite as good as I would have liked, but I know I didn't push my car as hard as I could have. If I was in the standard class for my car with it's mods, which is SCCA class FSP, I would have won my class as my time was a few hundredths of a second faster than the other two cars in FSP. Ironically if I was in the stock Class for an X 1/9 I would have come in last place behind 3 Miatas. The other two cars in FSP were a Triumph Spitfire and an MGB. Both of which I learned had some engine work. My X only has suspension and tires. I might need to do a little engine work soon. So here are a few pics and vids from 3 of my 4 runs.

http://youtu.be/WI3hgAgxPhc
http://youtu.be/k62dw-8ZwEA
http://youtu.be/1SgMeA407SI

FUN EH

Great to see you having fun with your car. How many events do you guys run each year, looks like an airport.

Charlie

There are 13 events throughout the year. I think points are only taken from your top 8 scores for the year though. That way you can miss a few races and not be penalized. Next month there are 2 local autocrosses and a national SCCA event as well. I am not sure I will make it to the SCCA event as it is an entire weekend long and is about 2 hours from where I live.

The track was set up on the San Marcos Airport. It was a much larger track then they used last year, which isn't really good for an X 1/9. I would have prefered a smaller tighter track. Some of the cars hit over 70 mph on this track. I think I might have gotten to about 50 mph, I just don't have the power to get that fast on the short staightaways.

Sounds like fun

Many places count 2/3 of the races for champ points. Sounds like yours is about the same. By the way, good looking car and it's the right color. SCCA requires that most cars should be within legal street speeds at their events, say 65 to 70 max, so it sounds like your pretty close there. However mod and prepared cars don't count in that rule. Be happy that you have a good spot to run in, many people don't.

Good job and keep revin
Charlie

Congrats

Well it sounds like you are doing better than me, so :nana:. :) I went to about 4-5 events at the end of the season and I sucked... big time. Hopefully I will get better this year. We have close to 100 cars at these events and I was coming in near the bottom each week. :blackeye:

We are going to try some better tires this season and I am going to try to attend some instructional events to hopefully improve my skillz. :dunce:

Suspension and tires are the things to have when you show up at an autocross, and you did well! It's a great hobby, and the X is easy on tires and consumables. Glad you enjoyed it. :)

Woo-hoo!

I just started autocross last year, and had a blast too. Our SC region starts again this weekend, so I'm all pumped up again to get the Abarth going!

From my limited experience, mid pack in the novice class is pretty darn good for the first time, and I like your plan to do an instructional class too.

Say Charlie. Can you post the QualcoM Track Scedule? I may want to bring a car down and try out the track... JJ

What are the minimum requirements if I show up with a Car or two to fling around the track?

DO I need a helmet? (If so is a motorcycle helmet OK?
What kind of safety inspection is involved?
Is there rules of the track that the first timer is required to familiarize themselves with?
What kind of money is necessary for the novice to invest (fees) involved?

Thanks in advance I want to bring some buddies. I have a friend with a MC 12 Mclaren and a 458 ITalia and would love to see you kick his but in the X Charlie:p

Generally, the hosting club will provide loaner helmets. Entrance fees are $25-$35 plus any extra fun runs if the club does those. I am a tech person for my club, and I mainly check for a secure battery, all lug nuts/bolts in place, no cords showing on tires, remove drivers floormat, no loose objects in car or trunk, nothing silly dangling from the mirror. Otherwise, make sure the lug bolts are torqued to spec, have at least 35 psi in the tires (more like 40 if they are tall sidewalls and not designed for racing), functional shocks. Pull the spare tire and tools for weight savings.

Let the club know you are a beginner and they can explain how the cones work, etc. There is usually a brief beginners meeting right after the drivers meeting.

Also, know what your class is. FSP if you have anything more than stock size wheels, aftermarket air filter, and cat-back exhaust. Weight reductions (fiberglass or removed bumpers) or an aftermarket cam put you in GP. I think the stock class is GS.

Texas Spokes, the group I am autocrossing with has loner helmets. You can use a motorcycle helmet but it must have a certain rating. All the street motorcycle helmets I have seen meet this rating.

As far as classes go According to the SCCA 2014 draft rules, all stock Fiat/Bertone X 1/9s are ES (E-Street/stock class), which sucks. This class has all Miata's 2005 and older in it (including the 2004-2005 Mazda Speed turbocharged Miata), Triumph TR8, 6 cylinder Fiero, MR2 Supercharged, 12 cylinder TVR, Sunbeam Tiger and a few other fairly fast cars. Now I know that an X can out handle some if not all of those cars, but I don't think any stock X can compete with a 180 hp Miata. Not to mention that X 1/9s are limited to 13x5.5 or 14x5.5 rims where the Miatas can run up to 18x7 rims. Rims can be +/- 1" height with same width and offset. Since tires make a huge difference, this is a huge advantage for the newer cars with bigger and wider rims. In my region there are probably around 10-12 cars in ES class and all but one of them is a Miata. Tough competition for any X.

However, do a few modifications to your X and you get bumped into FSP (F street prepared class). This is the slowest of the prepared classes. MY understanding of the "Prepared" class is you can modify intake, exhaust, electronics, suspension and tires. There is a few other things, but those are the main ones. FSP class seems like the place an X should compete, as it includes most Triumphs, MGs, Austin Healeys, Renaults and other cars the X actually has a chance of beating.

Don't know much about what class an X would drop into with more modifications as I haven't really studied the rules past prepared class. Maybe after I compete in FSP for a while I will look into it.

Here is the link to the SCCA rules for anyone interested.

SCCA 2014 rules

Charlie

Did you tell JJ in your email about the day before test and tune . Also if he's not already an ssca member he's going to have to pay a one day membership fee ?

JJ I highly recommend you go to the day before test and tune event because on race day you will only get 4 runs if your lucky you may only get 3 runs for a first timer 3 runs is not engulf also you can pay extra for more runs if I wear you I would buy them .

Autocross Pics

I know everyone loves pics so I though I would post a link to the professional photographers page who took photos at my last auto cross. I competed in heats 2 and 3. Most of the pictures were taken from the ground, but he did have a flying drone that he took some video from the air with. I haven't checked if he had any of my runs on video, but he does have a few pics. You can also get an idea of the cars that compete at the autocrosses here in central Texas. A lot of Miatas, S2000s and Subarus.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/...658025792415624787/albums/6011394376926062241

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/...658025792415624787/albums/6011394932596783649

Last edited:
I began autocrossing again after 35 some years. Back then it was my uncles Sebring special Sunbeam Alpine.
I built up a 87 Grand Marquis 2 door for street, touring, drags as most of my vehicles it leans more toward road racing.
It sure suprised a lot of officials they said it looked like it belonged out there. Suprised a lot of M3s, 370 Zs, Boxter a few others by 4.5 seconds give or take a bit. Was running SM class. Last time out got my butt handed to me by a box style Volvo waggon driven by an Aussy. I was having a wierd day anyway. Want to go to an open track day next. This is what the car was modified for. So its a bit of a mix full power luxury equiped, Stock car suspension, ready to take a trip anywere.

Back