Hoosier Wet H2O tires...

petex19

True Classic
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...rformance=ALL&width=185/&ratio=60&diameter=13

Anyone have any experience with these "Hoosier Wet H2O" tires? I'm looking for a high performance street tire in 185/60/13 and was wondering if these tires could be driven on dry pavement. Their supposed to be a intermediate to full wet track tire. The Toyo Ra1 is unobtainable anymore in 185/60/13 and the Toyo R888 doesn't look like it should be driven in water at all. I'm not interested in the Sumitomo or the Federal super steel.

Hey Pete, those may not last long. They look nice though. Pricey as well. I'd use the Toyo's over those, even though the water sipes aren't the greatest. I never drive in the rain, but if you do - that is something to consider.

I did buy a set of Yokohama tires, just got them. They're summer only. Not DOT marked, but no one at customs cared.

http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/26923/

Last edited by a moderator:
R888

The Toyo R888 do grate in the rain just don't tray and drive fast and furious you'll be fine.

Used them on the track,

When you need to use a DOT tire these are good rain tires. Of course they are soft and will wear quickly, but they aren't too bad if you don't put a lot of miles on them. They will harden with age so the older the better (within reason) for the street. One good thing about these tires - the rubber on their tread is formulated to give good traction in the wet - not all Hi Perf tires are. If your tires typically "age" out before they wear out, I would give them a try.

No way

These are not for street use. I know that they have a dot rating just like the slicks above them in the add. When you get them they will probable come with a note saying that should not be used on the street just like the other dot race tires. I have used many Hoosier and kuhmo dot tires and they all warn against using them on the street. Also a 40 wear rating means they will last about 3000 to 4000 miles if your not racing them. Punchers are another problem as the rubber is really soft and the casing is probably really thin.

Charlie

The Toyo R888 do grate in the rain just don't tray and drive fast and furious you'll be fine.

Really? I haven't tried mine in the rain, but I also don't have any wipers and I don't have the rain tray on the engine lid installed either so stick to dry weather. I would like to see how they spin on wet though...

The 888 is a decent rain tire, I run them on my miata and they stick good in the rain they will float if you get into deep water but then anything will. My brother runs them as well and took TTOD at a local autox a couple years ago in his Datsun 1200 heavy PNW rain, 40 second course and he took the field by 2.5 seconds.

BTW

This is a competition tire. And as such there are going to be folks who will sell last year's tires for a reasonable price. Any serious competitor is going to have new rain tires. You might get lucky trolling the racing boards, or asking around. Good news for someone buying older rain tires for the street is that the rubber should be a bit harder, making them a little better adapted for street use.

Thanks for all the opinions and sharing of life experience. Don't get me wrong, I never set out to drive in the rain or even heavy chance of raining, but it happens that you get caught in it. Over the 23 years with my X, I've been caught in downpours even with the top off and I'll just drive faster to avoid getting soaked. My tires do last me 10+ years as I don't put enough mileage on them, so I wanted to be sure I bought something that was high performance and could drive in the rain at least to get me home. I really liked the tread pattern as it reminded me of my old Yokohama AVS intermediates I had and foolishly sold with only 2000kms on them. :sigh:

Back