tyres for CD66

zagatofulvia

Low Mileage
Hello All
I plan to get a set of Cromodora CD66 wheels with specs: 13x7, 98pcd & center hub 58.1mm. FAZA wheel archs will be put on to accomodate wider wheels and tyres. What tyre size should i put on these wheels? 205/55/13 or 195/60/13?
Many thanks!
James

James... I don't exactly know what it available in...

Hong Kong... but those two sizes are not readily available to us for any reasonable money, if at all.

175/60, 185/60, 205/60 can be found quite easily from $31 USD to $183 USD each. I haven't seen and 50 or 55 series 13 inch tires anywhere lately.

What many are doing now, and something I thought I would have to do myself a few months back... was to go to a 15 inch wheel where most any tire size was available... and they look great on an X1/9.

Realizing you have a rare set of 13 x 7 inch CD66's, I can understand why you would want to use them. Saying that, I would not go any larger than a 185/60 up front... most use them all around. I like a "rubber rake" as us old-timers say, and I run a 175/60 up front and a 205/60 in the rear.

HTH!

Tony
Yes, had tried to find 205/55/13 tyres, so far i could only see Avon CR500 making this size.
Thanks and regards
James

Hi James. Sorry you haven't been getting more help or advise. Dont know how much I can help but I will try...

First off, I dont think you will find a CD66 (original or reproduction) in the exact specs you mention. Not that big a deal, but I think you will find they all have a centre bore of 58.5mm or 58.6mm. Which is hub-centric for Alfas or Fiat 124/131. Close, but not of course properly hub-centric for an X1/9 (58.1mm).

I think you will find some variations in offsets in the currently available reproductions, so watch out for that. You will also find the same looking wheel in a 13 x 8 size - although I think it actually then perhaps is sometimes called a CD80 or something. You may want to consider 13 x 7 in the front, and 13 x 8 in the rear, depending on what tires you can find and if you like a staggered set-up.

In any case, I think it is a terrific looking wheel and gives a great period-correct look.

As for tires for those wheels, well yeah that is really tough these days. Not much around at all here - I have no idea what is available to you over there.

Toyo R888s are available here in 185/60-13, 205/60-13, and 225/45-13. The 185/60 is really too small for a 7" wheel and probably too narrow for a flared X. The 205/60 is fine for the 7" wheel but too large in diameter - I think you would have clearance issues with the inner fenders. The 225/45 would need an 8" wheel and probably would be too wide for the front - but would fit in the rear with flares.

The Avon CR500 in 205/55-13 is a great tire and would fit on the 7" wheel just fine, and you could run them front and rear - but I would think inner fender clearance would be an issue in the front. I think Avon also make some other 13" tires - check their website.

Maybe poke around the web and look for some tarmac rally tires. I know for sure that there are 195/50-13, 215/45-13, and 225/45-13 available. Require a 7" and 8" wheel. You could run the 195s front and rear on a 7" wheel. They are small enough in diameter so should fit without clearance issues. Or run 195s on the front (on a 7" wheel) and get some 215s or 225s (on an 8" wheel) for the rear to really fill out the flares....

Now I will freely admit that a tarmac rally tire is pretty intense for the street, and is a little crazy. Really stiff sidewall so ride will be quite stiff, and treadlife will be short. Really depends on your usage - is this just for show or do you do trackdays or something ?

Here is a thread with some more info and pics on some tarmac rally tires: http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/25675/
Yeah, that is me but please dont think I'm trying to sell you something. No way am I shipping them all the way to Hong Kong !! If you are interested, just PM me and I could give you some more info, and help you find a supplier closer to you....

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Hopefully someone else will chime in with a better answer.

Cheers, Doug

Last edited by a moderator:
Well... Doug gave you PLENTY of options...

and I would assume many would require shipping.

I find your AVON dealer here in Hong Kong and think he might be a good resource to call and ask about what other makes he carries or if he knows of any other dealers locally.

Except for a few European companies, MOST of our American tire manufacturers are using companies in China to make tires for them as well. There should be a BUNCH or manufacturers near by you... HTH!

Last edited:
Hi Doug , Tony

Thanks for the useful info and help!

As quoted by the wheel maker from Italy for a set of CD66 replica:
www.ruotamarket.it
4 wheels euro 646,-
7x13, PCD 4x98 Et+10, center hub 58,1 mm

With the above specs, how about 195/60/13 to fit all 4 wheels? I would prefer same size all around

Cheers
James

Last edited:
I think the wheels are OK...

But have never found ANY 195/60x 13 tire.

If you prefer the same tire all around... then a 185/60x13 is the largest that will fit up front with MINIMAL rubbing. Best to remove the inner liners if you have them.

If you found a 195/55 or 195/50 that would probably work... but I have NEVER seen them in a 13 inch rim diameter either.

Here are THREE different tools to look at and take MUCH, BUT NOT ALL the guesswork out of the equation. I've used them successfully many times. MEASURE 10 TIMES though as mistakes are costly!

http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php
http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

ALSO... consider the car's USE...

If its a sporty car for weekends and NOT a daily driver... consider a staggered rubber rake with the tire sizes I mentioned earlier. I still carry ONE spare and its an original 165/70... which I have never used in 32 years of Caremanship (New word... as I don't like to be OWNED by the car...) even when I used it as a DD for 10 years and 110K miles.

Back